Narrowing things down...

Hey there,

I’m trying to narrow things down to the mattress we want to get. Wife and I are back and side sleepers. More side than back I’d say for me, and vice-versa for the wife (more back than side). We tend to like more of a medium to medium-firm feel. I’m most definitely a hot sleeper, and often find myself socks off hanging off the bed sticking my feet out to regulate temperature :wink: We are looking for a queen size mattress.

The problem is, the mattresses I like are all online and I can’t try any of them in the store :expressionless: Looking to spend ~1k or less. The Bamboo Bliss below is on the cusp cost wise, but it’s on sale atm and there’s a 5% discount thru the forum so I’ll let it in the mix :wink:

Looking at these:

12 inch Bamboo Bliss
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/mattresses/12-inch-bamboo-latex-mattress
Medium Firmness - Level 6

Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Eurotop-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YC2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Comfort/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=046GGBMWVNPKHEH0VG73

DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Mattress-Ultimate-Dreams-13-Inch/dp/B0092UCN0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405313430&sr=1-1

I did try a Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe and it seemed like I might have sank in too far on that one. If this one really feels like that per Amazon, I’m not sure I should go for this one as it seemed too soft maybe.

Tuft and Needle 10"

Medium-Firm

The T&N mattress is appealing for the return policy. The others are all Brooklyn Bedding variants, and I’m not sure what their return policies are. Seems ambiguous.

My questions are:
Can I try some mattresses in stores that will give a similar feel to these other latex ones and the T&N? It’s so hard to pick. I think I like the idea of the latex more than the memory foam, but again, hard to say until you can try something out. FWIW, I’m located near San Jose, CA.

Thanks!

Shemmy

Hi shemazar,

I think that the first thing I would suggest would be to decide whether you prefer memory foam or latex so at least you can remove that variable. They are very different materials but the choice between them would be based on personal preference. Post #2 here has more about how they compare. Most people have said that the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam mattress is similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and perhaps just a little firmer although it uses different types of memory foam so the “feel” may be different. If your careful and objective testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutoril post) suggests that the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe is a good match for you in terms of PPP and is your “perfect” mattress then the 13" gel memory foam mattress would be well worth considering.

If you rule out the memory foam then you would be left with the latex options on your list and the Tuft & Needle.

The Tuft and needle is a firmer polyfoam mattress. As a reference … polyfoam is the type of foam that you would normally find in a sofa. The closest comparisons in the Dreamfoam lineup would be the 12 in 1 customizable mattress which is also polyfoam. There is more about the differences between them in post #4 here.

To compare a local mattress to one of the Dreamfoam or Brooklyn Bedding latex hybrid mattresses you would need to find a mattress that had a similar design (3" of Talalay latex over a polyfoam support core with a similar cover) and had a latex comfort layer that was the same firmness as the one you would choose from Dreamfoam or Brooklyn Bedding. It would take some phone calls to see if there were any similar mattresses available locally. If there aren’t then you could still get a sense of the general “feel” of Talalay latex (or other types of latex as well) by trying other mattresses that used Talalay latex in the comfort layers even though a mattress you test may not have the same firmness level or “feel” as one of the latex hybrid mattresses you are considering.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the San Jose area are listed in post #2 here.

There is also more about the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop, and the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss in post #16 here.

The Ultimate Dreams latex would be very similar to the Eurotop and you can choose the firmness level of the latex before your purchase but unlike the Eurotop and the Bamboo Bliss you can’t exchange the comfort level after a purchase because it’s a finished mattress.

You can see Brooklyn Beddings return and comfort exchange policy here and they seem fairly clear so I’m not certain which part is ambiguous. Returns are allowed in between 30 and 60 days and the customer pays $200 for shipping. Their comfort trial period is 120 days and after 2 weeks you can exchange the latex layer for a softer or firmer one for a $75 shipping cost.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix