Natura brand at Costco, layering math?

Hey Phoenix,
long time lurker, first time member…tendonitis and typing don’t get along LOL

Looking at Costco’s Natura “Unique” model; oddly, the layers’ depths don’t stack up…how do they come up with 10.5"? Are there 2" or 4" of latex?
http://www.costco.ca/Natura®-Unique-Queen-Mattress-Set.product.100151112.html

Looks the same on Natura’s website and their NaturaLatex Ultima Euro Top Mattress
http://www.naturaworld.com/products/naturalatex-uniso-mattress/

Quilt
•Tencel Blend ticking
•2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWool™
•Natural cotton fire barrier
•1" Plant-based quilt foam

Topper
•2" Talalay latex – medium
•2" Talalay latex – medium

Core
•6" Plant-based foam
Mattress Height •10.5"

Fabuwow site you gots here!
Lau

Hi SKOOKUMCHICK,

You’re right … if there is 4" of latex in either mattress then with the wool quilted cover (which would probably be about 1" thick) I would think that the height of both mattresses would be closer to about 12" than the 10.5" they list on both the Costco site and the Naturaworld site. I don’t know whether the thickness of the latex layers or the thickness of the mattress is wrong but it certainly seems to me that either one or the other wouldn’t be correct.

I took a quick look through the Naturaworld site and some of the other mattresses also don’t seem to add up if you take the thickness of the cover into account as well.

I would definitely want to confirm the correct specs if I was considering one of these mattresses.

Nice Catch :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Left Natura a tel mssg, will let you know their reply.

That said, I’m leaning toward 100% latex with layering options.

TU again1

Hi SKOOKUMCHICK,

That would be great and I’[d be interested in what they say.

It would be useful for others that are considering the same mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Called Natura once and e-mailed them twice; now, not only does the math not add up, the latex also is listed as a different firmness from what they indicate both on their website and on retail signage (Condo Beds Vancouver – have photo). By phone, I was told I should “read the specs on the website” and “be aware that the mattress height is an approximation”. Yup.

Since I’ve decided to go with a different supplier, here is what I learned from them:

1. There are two very similar models, the “Ultima”, listed on Natura’s website (in both plush and euro), and the “Unique” model, offered by Costco.ca.

2. The core layer of foam is 1.8 pounds – don’t know about the 1 inch comfort layer of foam.

I did try to clarify that I was referring to the “euro” model and not the “plush” model, but the response was the same.

If we are talking apples and apples, then the Costco price is $300 less than the Condo Bed price, with much better service value (free delivery, set up and returns).

Pricey for 4 inches of latex over foam in a non-flippable wool casing, IMHO.

FYI, here’s the gist of the e-mails…

From Natura:
Below is the breakdown of the Ultima Euro Top mattress…

Quilt
Tencel Ticking
2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWool
Natural cotton fire barrier
1" Plant-based quilt foam

Topper
2" Talalay Latex – soft
2" Talalay Latex - medium

Core
6" plant based foam

Total Approx Height of matt = 10.5"

Reeshma Singh
Customer Service • Service à la clientèle
Tel: 416.667.8871 x 600
Fax: 888.567.7934

Customer Service • service à la clientèle: 800.567.7933 x2
**NEW email•courriel: customerservicesommex.ca

From Me:
Questions or Comments:
hope you can help; unable to see how these layers add up to only 10.5″…how much latex is in this model, please?
——————————————–
Ultima Euro Top Mattress
Quilt
•Tencel Blend ticking
•2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWool™
•Natural cotton fire barrier
•1″ Plant-based quilt foam
Topper
•2″ Talalay latex – medium
•2″ Talalay latex – medium
Core
•6″ Plant-based foam
Mattress Height •10.5″

This mail is sent via contact form on Natura http://www.naturaworld.com, please do not reply directly to it

Hi Skookumchick,

Thanks for sharing their comments … I appreciate it.

They really don’t seem to be very good at “layering match” or at providing specific answers to our questions.

Phoenix