Natural all-latex options for Austin area

Hi cat,

Wow ā€¦ youā€™ve had quite a series of ā€œeventsā€ conspiring against you with your foundation and it certainly looks like your foundation was ā€œabused in transitā€. I think that ā€œwhen it rains it poursā€ would be an appropriate way to describe your experiences.

[quote]But to top it all off, the foundation is a weird size.
Not even the wrong size, but a Frankenstein of double/queen parts.
And, it turns out, the 59.5" width is just too short to rest on the side rails of the bed ā€“ all the weight would be on the crossbars. Looks like Iā€™ll absolutely need 60.5" for proper support.[/quote]

Itā€™s certainly very odd to have parts for two foundation sizes mixed in with the same frame and in that case I know they would certainly replace it (although that may not be what you want either).

The 59.5 size is inside the range of a ā€œstandardā€ width for a queen size foundation (see here for an example from Sealy and here for an example from Simmons) and they will often be a little narrower than 60" so they readily fit inside most bedframes. Most ā€œstandardā€ bedframes would work well with this if they have normal width side rails (an inch or more) but yours may be a little wider than the norm. The smaller variations in standard sizing of bedframes and foundations can be frustrating if you need something that is a more exact width or length.

As you mentioned ā€¦ at least you have a mattress ā€¦ even if you need to use it on the floor until you can replace your foundation.

Phoenix

Well, I was also just flustered and failed to measure the foundation as a whole; I was measuring just the side boards solo. :blush: But, still an inch short, which is odd.

The rails are just too narrow to securely ā€˜catchā€™ the side boards, and I was simply unaware that the 59.5" wasnā€™t going to work. Itā€™s on the foundation description, so the information was there, as far as that goes. The bedā€™s inner measurements are 61x81", and the side rails are 1" wide, so Iā€™m once again at an impasse. Iā€™m thinking weā€™re gonna jog over to the big box lumber supply and grab 14 1x3" furring strips, for the time being.

I wish I had room to set up the mattress. :frowning:

Iā€™ve exchanged a few emails with the owner ā€“ he comes across a bitā€¦ brusque. But he hasnā€™t really offered any help, just said that their measurements are standard, and it is my bed that must be fixed. Well.

Iā€™m unsure if heā€™s letting me return it or not, at this point. I had already become aware that the bed was an oddment, but Iā€™m pretty sure that my options to get the steel frame altered are significantly more costly and difficult than finding another solution for a foundation.

On that note, Iā€™ve cobbled together an idea from the DIY posts on here (for reference):
Low-profileBedBaseProjectanditsthreadhttps://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/0https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/1
Building My [Own Bed] Foundation (king foundation)
DIY Foundation and Novosbed Harmony (a queen-size version, following the above)
King-sized Deck DIY Bedframe with Foundation for $100

and a couple platform beds off-site:
Very MCM with nightstands
Cute little storage bed, two twin XLs

and lastly, someone who made a wool mattress.

That info, plus my desire to break it apart easily, and limited workspace and general patience with the process at this point, introduces the idea of carriage boltsā€¦ and wingnuts. And the local big box lumber, bleh.

(2) 1x6x6 for head and foot end rails, cut to width
(6) 1x3x8 furring for long rail top and bottom, cut to fit within end rails
(1) 2x3x8 stud for long rail supports, cut into smaller [4"?] segments ā€“ probably 15 or 21 total
(16) same 1x3s for the slats, and another to cut for spacers to keep them from wiggling
(12) 5/16" 3" carriage bolts and wing or hex nuts to match, for securing long rails to end rails
4 screws for each side support; Iā€™m aiming for 9x2.5" multipurpose screws, as the package includes the star/bugle bit, and theyā€™re self-starting and -countersinking. Also need screws for slat spacers, but they can be much shorter and less beefy.

The real issue is finding enough straight boards.

If Iā€™m doing the math right (>.>), itā€™ll be a low-profile foundation at ~6.25". Iā€™m not getting fancy with the slats, since I donā€™t have a router, and I donā€™t want to wait for glue to dry; an easy enough fix, if I change my mind later. As-is, itā€™s a little over 60 bucks, plus tax. Iā€™ll throw a couple sheets on top, for the time being. Anything glaringly wrong someone can point out real quick?

edit: Just before heading out to buy lumber, I checked the Ikea page in a last gasp at the lazy, kind-of desired solution. Turns out, the Ikea Laxeby came back in stock. Score. Even better, there were a couple in the ā€˜As-Isā€™ department in excellent shape. Words cannot express. Seems fitting that the bed is continuing in the floor model veinā€¦

So, for the time being, Iā€™ve got the flexible slat system, and if we decide the bed is too short, Iā€™ll likely build a box as above, using the Laxeby as the slats. Probably re-orient to maintain the shorter crossbars as in the bedframe, or make a simple platform, since the Laxeby has long support beams. Iā€™m pleased.

Now, to see how this all comes together. Sir, at least, is sleeping blissfully.