Naturepedic EOS - Will Plush Support Layer Be a Mistake?

I sleep in all different ways. I try to mostly sleep on my back but do sleep on my side or even drift to stomach from time to time. I think plush mattresses seem comfortable but fear long term it’ll bother my back if I keep sleeping in my back.

However, I do only weigh 135 pounds. It makes me think the firm could be too firm for me.

Also, my wife is a side sleeper with big hips. She needs the plush support. She wants to keep the same support on both sides.

Will it be a mistake to go plush? It seems firm support is more common and can’t find anyone who says anything on it. I know the swap is only for latex layer so want to choose the right support layer.

If we do go plush on support… any recommendations on latex layer? Naturepedic only has plush with the plush/soft top as standard option. I guess a firm latex top is counter intuitive then? But maybe it could be comfortable?

Help appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, JaySleep.

It’s a common misconception that a plush mattress surface is bad for your back. Any mattress should have a firm, supportive base (in the form of a spring system or in the very least transitional layers of latex) to promote proper back health. Ultimately, the top layers are what dictates the sleepability of any mattress. Side sleepers, especially those of smaller frames, require contouring of the hips and shoulders in order to prevent over-compression of the joints which can trigger stiffness and soreness.

Our Natural Escape and Hope All Latex mattresses, for instance, have top layers that provide this type of contouring support. We do find, however, that some sleepers get their ultimate in support and comfort by applying one of our Organic Latex Mattress Toppers. Sometimes that out of the mattress cover plushness right at the mattress surface is needed for pressure relief.

Hope this helps! We’re always here if you have more questions.

My Green Mattress