Neck fusion sufferer and need to replace my old mattress

I am a 5’8" 170 pound person who has a C1/C2 neck fusion. My wife is 5’5" and is about 190 pounds. We currently have an 11 year old Serta IComfort Insight mattress that has gotten too soft. I wake up daily with general soreness and my neck is especially uncomfortable. We both toss and turn throughout the night because we are just uncomfortable. FWIW, we both sleep primarily on our sides but also end up on our backs during the night.
It is time to replace our mattress. I’ve looked at latex mattresses, Casper, Tempurpedic Adapt Medium and Serta IComfort mattresses and I have a case of “analysis paralysis”. I am less inclined on buying locally and am strongly considering ordering something online.
Can a long time memory foam sleeper adapt to latex? I find the SleepEZ mattresses intriguing, especially since we can choose different feels for the various layers. Are there any mattresses I should consider since I do suffer with chronic neck pain?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have found that mattress research is a deep rabbit hole and it’s hard to determine what is fact and what is marketing hype.

I would like to add that I currently use different pillows, depending upon how my neck feels. I mainly use either a Coop Eden or Nest Bedding Easy Breather Natural. The Coop is softer, but I feel traps heat (even though they consider it to be a cooling pillow). The Nest Natural pillow is firmer but sleeps cooler. I tend to use the Coop pillow when my neck demands that I rest on my back and I use the Nest pillow when I sleep on my side. Sometimes, my neck hurts to where I switch pillows during the night.
I realize there are many online mattress companies but I have tended to focus on the larger companies that are accredited by the Better Business Bureau. Only recently have I started to consider latex mattresses and I do find the adjustable format intriguing.
We are accustomed to sleeping on memory foam so that’s why I have looked at places like Casper, Loom and Leaf, Nest Bedding, Tuft and Needle, Tempurpedic, etc. I have also looked at Sleep EZ, Plushbeds, Sleep on Latex for that style of bedding.
Once again, I thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

My wife and I went to a local Mattress Firm and tried the Tempurpedic Adapt Medium and Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid along with a Sealy Posturpedic Plus Albany medium hybrid and Serta I series medium hybrid. I liked the Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid but the price is out of our budget plus I think I would have to get a Tempurpedic adjustable base which really puts that out of our budget. I preferred the feel of the Sealy Posturpedic Plus over the Serta but neither mattress gave me any confidence concerning their durability.
How different is sleeping on latex vs. memory foam/memory foam hybrid mattress? The safe route comfort wise is to go with another memory foam or memory foam hybrid from the many different mattress manufacturers available online. Nectar is out of the question, Casper seems to be a mattress that doesn’t offer much for the money you pay, and the S brands don’t give me a sense of being a long term durable mattress. I’ve looked at the manufacture websites for Brooklyn Bedding, Loom and Leaf, Plushbeds, Leesa, Nest Bedding, and Tuft and Needle Mint mattresses. I am 65 and my wife is 66; we have always purchased mattresses locally and ordering online is somewhat a leap of faith.
How are trusted members vetted for this site? If I do order a mattress online, I want to do so from a company that stands behind their products and have great customer service should an issue arise.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi MystrE, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

As you have found,shopping for a new mattress can be very frustrating. As any mattress you and your wife finally decide on will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing some of those - and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you have not already, you should take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, to get an idea of what you are looking for in a mattress retailer, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how certain materials will last over time. in general, memory foam, of insufficient density can prematurely ‘wear out’, causing worn areas as you’ve seen, and even ridges and divots which can cause muscle aches and pains, and even alignment issues.

My wife and I went to a local Mattress Firm and tried the Tempurpedic Adapt Medium and Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid along with a Sealy Posturpedic Plus Albany medium hybrid and Serta I series medium hybrid. I liked the Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid but the price is out of our budget plus I think I would have to get a Tempurpedic adjustabtle base which really puts that out of our budget. I preferred the feel of the Sealy Posturpedic Plus over the Serta but neither mattress gave me any confidence concerning their durability.

Your old Serta iComfort is a memory foam & gel memory foam mattress. Like most of the ‘big brands’ their lack of details on the components construction and even layer thickness makes it near impossible to assess for any sleeper except in the most general terms. Many times, a lack of transparency in components can hide an excess amount of inexpensive foam ‘filler’…As you both have higher BMIs, any memory foam you choose should have a higher density to maintain support, especially with your neck fusion. We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support.

How different is sleeping on latex vs. memory foam/memory foam hybrid mattress? The safe route comfort wise is to go with another memory foam or memory foam hybrid from the many different mattress manufacturers available online.

Latex has a very specific feel that is unlike memory foam. Talalay latex is considered ‘bouncier’ whereas Dunlop is more ‘settled’ (think of the difference between angel food cake and pound cake). If possible you might want to try latex or latex hybrid mattresses in a local showroom, just to see if you like the feel. Latex is one of the most durable mattress materials you can have and if you and your wife like the feel and can find a comparable comfort level, you will have a mattress that will last many years.

we have always purchased mattresses locally and ordering online is somewhat a leap of faith.
How are trusted members vetted for this site? If I do order a mattress online, I want to do so from a company that stands behind their products and have great customer service should an issue arise.

The Trusted Members of the site have all gone through a rigorous vetting process; these are all smaller manufacturers and retailers who take great pride in the products they carry - their reputation rides on every sale. They all offer quality sleep solutions and have great experience helping consumers find their ideal mattress, with excellent customer support and generous exchange and return policies. It can be somewhat disconcerting to make such an important purchase online, but our Trusted Members carry a variety of different sleep systems at various price points, and they are all very transparent as to what goes into their products. , and have years of experience in helping consumers find their ideal mattress. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the process if you choose to go that way.

~ Basilio

Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I am struggling to find a latex mattress in our area (Baton Rouge) and this makes it difficult to see if the “feel” is something my wife and I could adapt to. Your suggestions concerning densities is valuable especially since I’m dealing with fused C1/C2 vertebra from a broken neck incident many years ago. The S brands and Tempurpedics would be the easy route to go but I don’t think they may be the best option for me, especially with the neck issues I live with. I will look through the tutorials you mentioned to learn as much as I can. I hope to purchase something over the upcoming Memorial holiday so I need to get busy!

Hi MystrE,

Good thinking….the ‘big brands’ are less of a value if they aren’t compatible with your sleep profile, and/or ‘break down’ prematurely, especially with your C1/C2 fusion. You might want to check out Mattress Firm in Baton Rouge, or Bayou Beds in Sulphur and Lake Charles…they should carry latex and latex hybrid mattresses that you could try out to see if you like the feel. Some Mattress Firm and Lowes’ locations also carry mattresses from Trusted Member GhostBed, who offer a variety of latex, foam, and hybrid mattresses. I wish you well on your mattress search!

~ Basilio

I found a Jamison hybrid latex bed in Baton Rouge which is a firm bed; my neck and the rest of my body did not like the feel of that mattress. I felt like I was laying on top and I felt as if the mattress was “pushing” back at me. A most uncomfortable feeling indeed. I went to another store and tried a few Tempurpedic mattresses for grins and giggles. Surprisingly, the Tempurpedic Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid and Luxe Adapt Hybrid Firm were two mattresses that allowed my body to feel very comfortable while laying on them for almost an hour. My hips felt a little better in the Pro Adapt Medium but my back felt very slightly more supported with the Luxe Adapt Firm. I have visited Sleep Ez’s website numerous times and continue to be intrigued by their setup, especially if I use their online configuration based on our size, weight, and sleep position. It suggests a Soft Talalay top layer, Medium Dunlop middle layer, and Firm Dunlop bottom layer for me. My wife’s side recommendation is Medium Talalay top layer, Medium Dunlop middle layer, and Firm Dunlop bottom layer.
I wonder if I have so accustomed to sleeping on a memory foam mattress to where I may not like a latex style mattress. My wallet and budget say that it would be in my best interests to learn to adjust to that style of mattress, especially given the cost of a Tempurpedic!
I am going to check out the various Trusted Members to see what styles of mattresses they offer. Thank you again for your valuable and helpful suggestions.

This morning I went to a local mattress outlet store that sold Southerland mattresses. They had a few latex mattresses that had pillowtops and I did not like the feel of those models. There was one Southerland mattress called the Sierra that had 2 inches of copper infused Talalay latex directly underneath the somewhat smooth cover. I laid on both my side and back for an extended time and felt again a sensation that the mattress was “pushing” against me, especially while laying on my back. This was a sensation that I did not enjoy so I may just be one of those people who prefer the somewhat cradling feel of memory foam. Immediately after trying these latex mattresses, I went back and tried out a Tempurpedic Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid and felt much more comfortable on that mattress. It had adequate edge support and was pretty easy for me to shift between side and back positions. FWIW, the solid foam Tempurpedics I tried felt much too dense for my comfort so I’ll probably try to stick with a hybrid style of mattress. I had to try to see how I felt on a latex mattress and based on the ones I’ve found and tried locally, I may just be one of those people who don’t like them. At least I’ve tried and I’m more educated for doing so.
The seach for a mattress that will allow this 65 year-old neck fusion patient to get a good night’s rest continues.

Hi MystrE,

Sorry to hear the latex mattress didn’t work out for you; for some people it just doesn’t feel ‘right’. It’s good, as you say, to be able to make a ‘short list’ based on your experience and preference. It sounds like a memory or gel memory foam hybrid would be a possible solution…and again, many of the Trusted Members of the site carry this type of sleep solution, and if you give them a little info on your Stats, PPP and mattress history, they can help you find the right combination of comfort and support, equal or surpassing the durability of any of the Sealy offerings. You are on the right track!

~ Basilio

I have 4 areas of bone-on-bone in my neck and suffer from debilitating neck pain. I found a wonderful Cervical support pillow that is the most supportive I’ve ever tried. It’s called the Therapeutica Sleeping pillow, and it comes in petite, average, large, and extra large sizes. It’s designed for back or side sleeping, but I feel more supported on my back.
You can buy it at www.healthproductsforyou.com, the Company Store, Amazon, or other online stores. I’ve told others about it, and they’ve thanked me profusely. I couldn’t get along without it! It can get a bit warm, but I put a small, thin ice pack under my neck and drift off with a smile. Hope it helps you!

Thank you Basilio and Gleama for your posts. My wife wants me to try a pillow like what is mentioned above and that is an option I may just try. Currently my 2 most used pillows are a Nest Bedding Easy Breather Natural and a Coop Home Goods Eden pillow. The Coop pillow is advertised as being cooling but I do not find that to be the case at all. It is however a soft pillow that my neck likes when it wants me to sleep on my back. The Nest Easy Breather Natural is much cooler sleeping and more supportive so I use it whenever my neck wants me to sleep on my side. Most of the time, I sleep on the Nest pillow. Both pillows allow me to adjust the amount of fill and I have plenty left over to where I could actually make two more pillows if I wished to do so. Since I have ever-changing neck pain issues, I’ve decided to purchase a memory foam hybrid mattress that I could try locally before purchasing. I seriously considered a few of the trusted members but it was safer for us to go the route of trying locally so I could get an idea of what my body would like the most. I really, really, really wanted to get a latex mattress with switchable layers but my body just didn’t like the few I tried locally.
My adjustable bed frame is currently enroute and now my wife and I get to wrestle with putting together that beast once it arrives.