Nectar Mattress, is this real?

Hi adamg,

Nectar uses a 1" of 4 lb gel memory foam, a 3-inch 3.5 lb memory foam with a medical grade cooling and finally a 2.2 lb polyfoam core. They don’t list the thickness of the polyfoam core, or the thickness of the quilted gel memory foam panel or the density of that material.

I’m not personally familiar with Nectar, as they seem to be one of the ever-expanding list of one-size-fits-all mattresses. They do list their specifications, to their credit in their FAQ page. The polyfoam core uses a good density foam, but I would use caution with the 3" of 3.5 lb. memory foam on top of the core, as that is lower than I would recommend (see the durability guidelines here ). They are a product assembled in the USA of components sourced from China and the US. They do not specific what is from where. I would caution against purchasing this item before knowing the complete specifications and component origins.

There are some brands, mostly online, that use longer trial periods (Luxi offers 1000 nights) and warranties. I would keep in mind that a warranty only covers manufacturing defects in the mattress and materials and not the gradual loss of comfort and support over time that is the main reason that people will need to buy a new mattress. Warranties longer than 10 years are more about marketing than anything else and a warranty is not a reliable way to assess the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long you will sleep well on it before you cross the thresholds between sleeping well on a mattress to sleeping “OK” to “tolerating a mattress” to finally deciding to replace it. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here and there is also more about the most important factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people regardless of the length of the warranty in post #4 here .

I personally would be happy with a 5 year warranty (against manufacturing defects) if I knew the materials could last me 15 - 20 years … but of course the vast majority of consumers would believe that a mattress with a 5 year warranty was an inferior mattress.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress regardless of the quality of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Phoenix