Need a new mattress due to shoulder pain

Hi all, I’m new here.

Wow, I haven’t bought a mattress in fifteen years and never knew things had gotten so complicated.

I am 52, 200lbs 5’10, wide shoulders, sleep very hot, and a side sleeper. My wife is 53, 170lbs, 5’4, wide hips, sleeps cold, and is a side sleeper with some back sleeping. We live in Burbank, CA.

Our current mattress is old and very knackered and we need a new one soon. I have no idea what brand it is as there’s no label on it but it is 10" thick.

I broke my shoulder at work last year and I’m still in worker’s comp hell and still in pain from the break, although it’s more of a dull ache that gets worse when I sleep on my side. I need a mattress that supports my wide shoulders and takes the pressure off them. My wife needs support for her wide hips.

I’ve been reading reviews and until I landed here, had narrowed my choices to the newly released Avocado Green Plush box top or the Helix Midnight Elite.

From the things I’ve read on here, seems the Helix sags, which is a pity, as that was my top choice before coming here.

We have a Sleepare showroom near us that we could go to, if that helps in any recommendations.

Our budget is $4000

I am now at a loss as to what we should consider looking at and would appreciate any advice that anyone a give me.

2 Likes

Damien,

Im about 30 min from you over here in Monrovia. Definitely check out Flexus Comfort in Covina for latex plus any Sit N Sleep for King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook(Firm) or Genesis(Soft). KK is 100% Talalay latex. Flobeds Vzone (online) is 100% Talalay also for about $2500 cheaper.

Sleepare is awesome. While trying…cover up the labels and price tags. They carry all of the bed in a box brands. Its more efficient to go to Sleepare to try 30 mattresses side by side instead of buying and returning 30 mattresses.

Check out Avocado in Pasadena or any Revive Sleep Center inside any Living Spaces. I think Avocado feels terrible, but you might like it.

With Tempurpedic, you can try Pro Adapt Soft, Luxe Adapt Soft, and Luxe Adapt Firm. Luxe Adapt Firm is my favorite.

Goto Ortho Mattress to try Aireloom Preferred M1 and M2 in plush or firm(4 mattresses). There is even a latex cover you can buy to get a bit more plushness. M1 is Chester at Ortho and M2 is Westchester.

Into luxury? Check out H Alora and Hadley Olivia in Orange County. Hadley had VISpring and Aireloom. I tried $35k VISpring and Aireloom M1 Firm $6k felt way better! Go figure!

Im pretty sure you will go with King Koil latex or Aireloom. KK is jawsdroppingly comforming and plush. Flobeds Vzone is similar and adjustable.

Let me know what you try and what you end up with!

John

1 Like

Hi John. I appreciate the response very much. We have a Sit N Sleep within walking distance of the house and they carry King Koil beds! This is fantastic news. My good lady wife and I will visit them tomorrow night after she gets back from work.

We’ll check out the other suggestions too.

Also, my wife said that our current 16 year old mattress is a Tempurpedic.

Hi Damien,
Hope your search is going well. Just an observation as you search. When you get right down to it, mattresses made with better quality materials and thoughtful placement of layers is really what is going to make the difference from a good night’s sleep for 9-18 months vs 5-10 years or more of lasting comfort.
I am an enthusiastic fan of Brooklyn Bedding as I love my mattress and think it is simply great. I saw that you were looking at the Helix Elite. Helix makes genuinely nice mattresses as do their sister brands.

I am not a major fan of what I call gimmickry, like the grids, gels, and gratuitous micro coils. I am of the mindset, less is more, simple is better and a mattress is only as good as its weakest layer. Only put in the mattress what it needed to be comfortable for the individual user and move on. I understand this is an overly simplistic attitude, but with so many companies out there, particularly ones that are Trusted Members here at TMU, there is really something for everyone.
When companies stack the mattress 16, 18 inches high, I just must wonder what they are doing and why. There are some that will use two layers of supporting springs and coils, effectively making it so at least one set of support coils will be utilized in their primary support function, under whatever foams, natural materials and other comfort layers that may be inserted.
In this case the Helix Elite may be an example of this. Usually, a manufacturer will replace a pressure relieving memory foam layer (and it good at pressure relief), which can wear faster, sink more and possibly make you sleep hot if you are prone to that sort of thing. I would have preferred that Helix simply removed the memory foam from the comfort layer and doubled the size of the layer of micro coils from 0.5" to 1-1.5" to allow them to really be functional. I am sure they and others will disagree with me, as they designed the mattress and made it that way for a reason. Perhaps, it is I, who does not understand it. I just do not see the design as is, functioning in real time. I mean you have over 7" layers over the 3 zone support coils that might night see the light of day in supporting the sleeper.

Of course, this is just one person’s opinion, but my advice would be. If you know you want a hybrid or innerspring, that is fine, start there. Then select the appropriate material to surround that support layer, maybe a hi density foam transition layer, a layer or two of latex, or a combination of latex and/or your personal feel preference or wool/cotton/horsehair, (whatever your choice of comfort that will last), you could insert a layer of quality micro coils of at least 1" for directed pressure relief and a cover/panel to wrap it all up. If you want something very tall, in the 16" category, make it a flippable mattress, or add a modern box spring for height.
I am not trying to be critical of Helix’s Elite mattress, rather looking out for your long-lasting comfort.
Most of the trusted members here, as I peruse their websites and products, all seem to keep it simple. I call it “getting to the point.” Support, comfort, cover = a good night’s sleep.
I was very dismayed when searching for a mattress this last time around. All of the “national” brands you find in the box stores seem to be in a race to stack their mattresses to the ceiling with “stuff” and many of the reviews by individuals seem to reflect the failure of this practice in the way of premature sinking, sagging and other issues we did not seem to run into 40 years ago. The ones that constantly use upgraded, quality made, or sourced materials seem to get the highest individual marks.
As you deal with your shoulder issues, I would pay attention to how the mattresses edge support is provided. When you have very high-density perimeter foam encased coil mattresses, you may find that when you sleep close to the edge you may find too much pressure relative to the rest of the sleeping surface of the mattress. I will admit again another feature I am not a big fan of is foam edge support, so you can consider my opinion is admittedly biased. If you have shoulder issues and sleep near the edge of the mattress you don’t want that change in surface density to bother add extra pressure on your shoulder. Personally, I find edge to edge coils satisfactory for edge support, surface uniformity, predictability and longer lasting comfort.

I know it sounds a bit critical, but just be on the look out for some of these things in your journey to get the best fit for you mattress system needs. Only here to try and offer a bit of mattress wisdom.

Best of luck on finding your comfortable mattress.
Norm

1 Like

Norm

Thank you for an incredibly detailed response. I fear i’ve only just scratched the surface of my mattress-buying research but I do echo your thoughts regarding gimmicks vs simple quality.

The more I hear about the Helix from my own research, the more I am shying away from them. It seems that there are a lot of folks who have not had a good experience.

Right now, my wife and I are looking at these:

• Avocado Green Plush box top
  • Aireloom Chester and Westchester Luxetop Plush
  • King Koil Purebliss Genesis
  • FloBeds Vzone.

We are intending on trying out the top three brands at a couple of local stores this evening, and i’m going to speak to Flobeds directly regarding their mattresses. All five of the above mattresses seem to have high levels of customer satisfaction, and seem to fit the bill vis-à-vis our requirements, so I am reasonably confident we will find one of those suitable for us.

2 Likes

Nice choices, you will be like me trying to pick dinner at a restaurant. I want everything. The flobeds looks nice as you can split your comfort for you and your wife if necessary. My good friend bought an Avocado this past summer. Ending up returning it as his wife did not like it. He said they had the easiest and nicest customer service, which is good to know. I am sure you will pick the right one. Not too much there to make a mistake with. I always recommend one level higher in firmness as foams do soften slightly, even latex. But you will be able to judge that one. Remember it is not a race. Try a few mattresses. Get a sense of what you like. Sleep on it and go back a day or two later and see if you still feel the same about it.
Good luck. Remember with a change in mattress you may need a change in pillow.

1 Like

Absolutely. We’re absolutely intending on getting new pillows too. A couple of the mattresses above come with a pair of free pillows, which will help.

I’ve heard a few stories about people returning or getting rid of their Avocado Green not long after buying it, which makes me wary. For the price though, it seems pretty good.

Currently I am intrigued by the Flobeds Vzone and their Goldilocks guarantee has me very interested indeed. While I love the fact they are online only (less overheads mean lower prices etc), it’s a pity we can’t test one out in person. Still, maybe the King Koil, being all-latex too, is a reasonable facsimile thereof.

We aren’t in any rush to get a new mattress. I’d rather do my due diligence as much as I can to make the most informed choice.

Thanks again. Your comments have helped a great deal.

2 Likes

Hi Damien, welcome!

@Maverick and @BillyIdol have already given you lots of good information.
To add a couple of small considerations, I’m sure you are looking at the warranties of each mattress. This is how you can get an idea of how long the company thinks the mattress will last. There are some companies that have a 25 or 30 year warranty and that can give you more confidence that it may last longer and not be sagging in 9 months.
Also, you mentioned you sleep hot and your wife sleeps cold. Wool is a supreme temperature regulator and very breathable. I find natural materials, in general, or a coil mattress to be more breathable. So that may help with your comfort. I don’t know if it will work with your budget but a zoned mattress (rather than only dual firmness) can provide more support in the hip area while being a little softer in the shoulder area - and often can be adjusted later as situations and your needs change.

Getting pillows with enough loft to support your head and keep your neck in line with your spine for the times of side sleeping will also help with pain. It’s amazing how much difference a good pillow makes.

Best of luck with your search.

2 Likes

Brian, thank you for the response.

Funnily enough, I spent most of today researching our many options and the various configurations of mattresses available, so every single one of your points are ones that I had down to consider.

I am now leaning very heavily in Flobeds Vzone direction.

We have discounted the Avocado from our list as there were just too many bad reviews and instances of people returning their mattresses. The King Koil is still on our list in second place after the Vzone, with Aireloom coming up third and fourth, mainly due to the fact that in order for us to get the comfort level we want, we’d have to have a mattress with a huge depth.

Right now, the zonable Flobed is looking like the real winner for us due to the fact we can fine-tune our firmness zones for optimal support. We are going to test out another full latex mattress first just to see if we like the feel of laying on Talalay. If we do, I think we’re going to pull the trigger on the Flobed and then start working with them to dial in the comfort and firmness levels.

Of course this may change after our ‘test drives’, but right now I don’t think it well.

I am actually quite excited for this Flobed and I never thought i’d be excited for a mattress…

2 Likes

Cool!!

Cant wait til you try the King Koil Brook or Genesis. Im thinking you will love it!

Flobeds is adjustable. Either try it out or go up to Fort Bragg to try it in person, but its more expensive to do that!

Looks like all roads lead to Flobeds!
Ive come to the same conclusion!

John

This evening, my good lady wife and I tried out a Nectar, Purple, King Koil Genesis and a couple of others that were instantly forgettable. The King Koil was by far the best of the bunch. It was incredible in the way it conformed to all my wife’s and my various curves, and gave us support. I have never slept on full latex before and my wife almost fell asleep on it while I was talking to the salesman.

So tomorrow I am going to contact Flobeds, being that their mattress is broadly similar, and go from there. The idea of zoned comfort areas is immediately appealing to me for my damaged shoulder.

Thank you everyone who has chimed in with advice. You have been more than incredible and I would have never considered full latex until coming here and reading advice.

2 Likes

Hey Damien,
I am laughing inside a bit. I want to say no surprise there, but I would bet the house you probably thought the same thing. Hopefully, the flobeds will work for you. You have a cheering section! Hope it works out! Good luck!
Norm

2 Likes

Damien,

Glad you liked the King Koil Latex Genesis (Soft). I like the Brook (Firm), but still feels soft. On sale, Brook was $5200, normally $5700.

The King Koil Brook (100% latex) is simply incredible!

Glad it worked out for you!

John

Current score

Damien 1
Damien wife 2
World 0

2 Likes

Order placed for the Flobeds on Friday. It takes four to five days to make, so hopefully we’ll have it by next weekend.

And I would never have known that full latex beds were a thing until you folks told me about them.

I’m looking forward to having a good night’s sleep.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

Damien,

Let me know how you like Flobeds compared to King Koil latex! Im thinking Flobeds might even be better!

John

1 Like

Hi Damien,

Congrats on your new Flobed! @FloBeds have always made high quality customized latex sleep solutions, and their Goldilocks Guarantee allows sleepers to make changes to the layers of your mattress as your body and sleep profile change. You should be very happy with your new bed - as @BillyIdol said, please let us know your experience once you’ve spent some time on it!

~ Basilio

1 Like

I placed the order 6 days ago. It arrived yesterday in four boxes and my wife and I put it together this afternoon. Tonight will be the first night on our new Flobeds mattress.

Five days from order to delivery is amazing. Hats off the the folks at Flobeds for their wonderful service. They even included an extra shoulder zone piece free-of-charge because of my damaged shoulder. If the bed is half as good as the service I got from the Flobeds folks, it will be incredible.

2 Likes

Hey Damien,
Cheerleading squad here. So glad your experience with flobeds has been great! Hopefully, you will get the good nights sleep we all crave and many have accomplished. It must be exciting to receive and get the new bed set up. Love to know how it goes. Remember it may take a little break-in adjustment period, but…you know when you know. Congratulations on your new bed!
Norm

1 Like

Congratulations! Keep us all updated.

1 Like