Need a new mattress, some special needs

This is a great resource and I have been doing a ton of research over the past month and decided to create and account and maybe get some more personalized advice from those in-the-know. My wife had back surgery for two herniated discs a couple years ago (lower back) and still has back pain and some numbness that will probably persist for life. She sleeps on her stomach but depending on her pain level she will sleep on her back also. I have some cervical disc issues from a lifetime of hockey and sleep mainly on my side or a hybrid side/stomach position. I am 6’2" and 240’ so it has to be something that can support my weight. We both like very firm mattresses and she has been advised to use a firm mattress by her doctor. We have a coil mattress that is about 10 years old and quite firm but showing its age. We looked at a few major retailers as well as IKEA and their firmest mattresses weren’t as firm as our 10 year old one.

I started out looking at the newer options like Casper, T&N, Leesa, and Dreamfoam but honestly have gone round and round and am still unsure. Also most reviews and info are from people much lighter than myself.

I’m happy to offer more info if needed, and appreciate any and all insight! Thanks!

Hi ilsungna,

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a longer and a shorter version) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you have completed steps 1 and 2 (some basic reading, deciding on the materials and types of mattresses you are most interested in trying, and deciding on your budget range) then the next step would be to decide on some knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent local manufacturers or retailers so you can do some local testing to get a better sense of the types or materials and mattresses that you tend to prefer.

Unfortunately only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to recommend or suggest a specific mattress or manufacturer based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I’m certainly happy to help with “how” to choose but the specifics of “what” to choose will always be based on your own individual research and testing and on all the specific criteria and parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here. Local testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) is generally the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but if you are working with an online retailer or manufacturer then the best source of more “personalized” guidance will always be the manufacturer or retailer themselves because they will know more about “matching” their mattresses to different body types and sleeping styles and individual circumstances than anyone else.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses but if you are in a higher weight range I would make sure that the materials in any mattress you are considering are a suitable density range and are durable enough for your weight.

There is more about how Casper, Tuft & Needle, and Leesa (which are all “one firmness fits all” mattresses) compare in post #3 here and the rest of the same topic.

Dreamfoam is a little different from any of these because they have many mattresses available not just one in a range of different materials and styles and many of them also allow you to customize the firmness level before a purchase and with some of their mattresses that have exchangeable layers you can also customize the firmness level after a purchase as well. They also have a sister company called Brooklyn Bedding which also has component latex mattresses that allow you to exchange the comfort layers but they use higher quality base layers than most of the Dreamfoam mattresses which may be more suitable for your higher weight range.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed reply, yes I have read both the long and short versions and just about every other article and post concerning these mattresses I mentioned. I am most drawn to a latex bed. We did not like any memory foam ones, the newer quicker rebounding memory foam options were out too but better. I would consider a coil or micro coil option though. I’m not worried about price within reason (preferably under $1k but if it were around that or not much over I am OK with it). I am near Pittsburgh, PA. My comments about other people’s reviews was more about finding someone’s input that was 200+ lbs since so many are less than 200 lbs. A bed that is firm to a lighter person isn’t always to me, it was more for a good frame of reference than anything. I’m not sure if that narrows things at all or not or if there is enough here to even suggest a few brands/models. If you know of any places near zips 15222 or 15084 or even 16023 that would even be a big help!

Hi ilsungna,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Pittsburgh area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed post #2 here.

Each person can be very unique and you will find that even people that are in the same weight range and have the same sleeping positions will often disagree about how firm or soft a mattress feels to them or what it “feels” like overall so the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP is based on your own personal testing or experience.

It’s really not possible to suggest specific brands or models because there isn’t a “formula” that can predict which mattress will be the best match for you based on specs or theory.

Phoenix