Need a returnable low ILD Talalay topper

I’m looking to move out of my parents house and would like to get a nice mattress sooner or later. I’m a 6’3, 150 pound male that sleeps sleeps on my back and sometimes sides. I don’t like being hot. I also get a sore lower back if I lie on my back for too long (unless I do yoga/stretching that week). I’m thinking a Cal King with 3" soft talalay, 3" med dunlop, and 3" firm dunlop is the way to go, but I’d like to test out the talalay comfort layer before buying a giant, heavy mattress and moving it into an apartment.

Right now I sleep on a twin innerspring and am having trouble finding a 3" talalay mattress pad that is returnable/testable. Does anyone know of any, or are there any equivalent materials I can use? Should I just try a thinner layer? Thanks.

Hi nastro,

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress and it’s still in good condition then a good quality topper can be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice for any specific person on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Each type or variation of foam has it’s own unique properties so other types of foam will feel and perform differently from Talalay latex.

Phoenix