Need advice choosing natural latex mattress

Hi -
We decided we wanted to get an all natural mattress but didn’t want to pay a fortune so we ended up ordering from a local store that specializes in organic mattresses a 7" mattress that is 6" of natural latex (98% pure) wrapped in Eco wool and organic cotton. It was the second cheapest mattress that the store carries. It cost more than we ever paid for anything before but I can’t help wondering if we went too cheap when there are so many other fancier versions out there. Another store described a similar mattress as a starter mattress for children and had a weight limit of 150 lb. But our salesman didn’t tell us there was any weight limitation on this one.

My husband is 5’11", 175 lb and I’m 5’3, 105 lb. Neither of us have any back issues and like a firm mattress. This one felt fine but I still can’t help wondering if we made a good investment or not.

Will the natural latex last a long time or should we get a topper or something to make it last longer?

Also, I read it’s bad to put it in the floor because of potential mildew, though the salesman said it would be fine. Should we at least put some slats on the floor? We see cosleeping and need to keep the mattress low but don’t want to spend a lot of money on a platform since this is just temporary.

Thanks!
Beanie

Hi Beanie,

The “weight limit” isn’t because of durability but because thinner latex mattresses can sometimes feel too firm for some people. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here but the firmness of the latex will also make a difference. If the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then you will be fine regardless of the thickness.

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and will last you for a very long time. You can see an example in the video here of a thin latex mattress that was used on a regular basis for almost 50 years (although I wouldn’t treat this as the “norm” for any mattress). The best use for a topper would be if you need some extra softness and pressure relief but if your mattress feels the way you want it to then there would be little point adding a topper.

It’s a good idea to have some ventilation and airflow under any mattress (not just latex). For short term use if you leave your sheets and bedding off during the day and put it on its side to let it air out on a fairly regular basis you will probably be fine but I would probably put something like the bed rug here or a thin slat system such as here underneath it to add some airflow.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix