Need Advice for Side Sleepers Converting from DIY Latex to Hybrid Pocket Coil + Foam

Last year I purchased a King split 3 layer natural Latex mattress, both sides starting with hard 3", medium 3", soft 3" (bottom to top), where the soft layer was Talalay. The two sides were combined together with a wool case topper. After months of swapping layers around (hard, soft, medium) and swapping out soft for extra soft, and even trying a new sturdier wooden foundation, we decided that Latex wasn’t for us. The Latex was sturdy, but man did it transfer movement, and it rebounded too quickly as if we were sitting on top of the mattress instead of conforming to it, almost felt as if the energy transfer of the latex didn’t settle - I’ve never tossed and turned as much as I have in the past year. We even tried adding a 2" foam topper. For reference, I am 6’3 195lbs side sleeper.

Currently I converted to 2 Twin XL base 6" Quantum Edge Elite Pocketed Coils (to form the King base) and just have a single layer of Latex (medium dunlop 3") on top + a 2" foam topper. That has significantly reduced the motion transfer, but it still feels like my broad shoulders aren’t sitting in enough, while my hips still sink down and we still both toss and turn. I’ve even tried a body pillow between the legs with no luck.

I was thinking of trying maybe one of the options below next, but could use advice on them:

Option 1

2" memory topper
3" FoamOnline Qualux medium soft (26 ILD - unsure if that’s the right firmness or the right foam material)
6" Pocket Coils

Option 2

3" 5LB ViscoMAX Memory Foam Topper
1" or 2" HD36-HQ Foam
6" Pocket Coils

Hey bewards,
Glad to have you back!

Since you’ve already tried latex and found it didn’t suit you well, exploring other materials like memory foam could be a good idea. Although, long term, not as durable.

It’s crucial to acknowledge that latex mattresses possess a distinct feel characterized by their responsiveness and bounce. Higher ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) ratings can enhance this resilience, resulting in a floating sensation that might not appeal to everyone. Latex’s recognizable feel might not suit all preferences, even though it offers pressure relief and contouring.

Considering your experience with latex and your inclination towards less bounce and more contouring, memory foam emerges as a promising alternative. Memory foam tends to provide deep contouring and pressure relief without the pronounced bounce of latex. Its close conformity to the body’s shape can alleviate pressure points and minimize motion transfer.

Given this, Option 2, incorporating a 3" 5LB ViscoMAX Memory Foam Topper, seems more aligned with your desired feel and support. Additionally, the addition of a layer of HD36-HQ Foam could offer extra support where needed, without compromising the conforming properties of the memory foam.

Given that here are some options to consider.

Option 1:

Adding a 2" memory foam topper could provide better pressure relief and conform to your body shape, potentially reducing the sensation of tossing and turning.
The FoamOnline Qualux medium soft foam layer could offer additional comfort and support. Since it’s medium soft, you may find it creates a little too much sinking, you may want to get into the lower 30’s ILD for more support for your weight, but it will make a nice transition from the pocket coils.

Pairing these layers with the 6" Pocket Coils could give you a supportive base with some bounce, which might help with the issue of feeling like you’re sitting on top of the mattress.

Option 2:

The 3" 5LB ViscoMAX Memory Foam Topper could offer similar benefits to the memory foam topper in Option 1, providing pressure relief and conforming to your body.

Adding a 1" or 2" HD36-HQ Foam layer could add some extra support and prevent excessive sinking, especially for your shoulders.

Combining these layers with the 6" Pocket Coils could give you a supportive yet comfortable mattress setup.

In both options, the memory foam topper could potentially address the issue of feeling like your shoulders aren’t sinking in enough, while the pocket coils should provide better motion isolation compared to the latex mattress.

With that being said, there are a few points worth noting. The ViscoMax memory foam is exceptionally plush, and with 3 inches of it, sinking into the mattress feels like boarding the Titanic. If your significant other is on the lighter side, they might find it too restrictive, even though it provides excellent motion isolation. Whether this is a pro or a con depends on your personal preference.

Since you will be using the ViscoMax as a topper, you will have the option to swap it out if you find it too restrictive.

Additionally, I would be remiss in not mentioning your pillow selection. This is nearly as important as you mattress build. A firmer comfort layer or topper, will require a higher loft, medium to medium firm pillow to maintain that loft. If the comfort layer or topper is super soft, as is the ViscoMax, you will need a softer lower loft pillow as you shoulder will sink into the mattress and too high a loft will cause your head to angle up out of place. This will cause neck, shoulder and upper back pain.

Personally, I am not a big advocate of memory foam layers or mattresses, but I will acknowledge their motion isolation, contouring and pressure relief qualities.

Hopefully, this will help guide you on your completion of this project.

Maverick

Im currently using the 15 g Quad coil TPS with 2" 4lbs memory foam layer + SOL soft dunlop in that order. I like it so far. MF below the latex helps the contouring and sink a bit more. I like the dunlop beter than talalay also. The Soft SOL dunlop is great.

Might be worth looking into a super soft blended Talalay layer. They make 3 inch toppers of 14 ILD if memory serves me correct.