Need advice in choosing a mattress

I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days which includes reading posts on this forum and other informational links from this website. A couple times I thought I had a mattress picked out only to do some more research to be sure it was the one I wanted and found something in the process that made me decide not to go with it.

Some background:

In my entire life I have not ever had a comfortable mattress. They have always been cheap low quality mattresses. It wasn’t until recently that I ever even thought about getting a decent mattress. I honestly don’t know how to choose a comfortable mattress because almost all of them I lay on in the store are much better then anything that I have had. I went to Sears the other day looking at some refrigerators and passed the mattress section in the process so I decided to try out a couple of them. Two of them I thought were really good were the icomfort and another one that I don’t remember the model of just that it was a plush mattress. Trying these out is what prompted me to go online and do some research. I just bought my first house so my plan is to invest in a decent mattress that will last me a long time and be worth the money spent.

Some mattresses I have looked at online so far:

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-Breeze-12-Inch-Memory-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00828AQ9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-14-Inch-Breeze-Memory-Mattress-Queen/dp/B009BV1E36/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362035773&sr=8-3&keywords=14"+Grand+Cool+GEL+Memory+Foam+Mattress-QUEEN+Size

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-Luxury-15-Inch-Mattress-Eastern/dp/B007SOMWAC

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-SureTemp-Mattress-Warranty/dp/B003CT37L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362033232&sr=8-1&keywords=novaform

https://www.amazon.com/LinenSpa-Triple-Layer-Viscoelastic-Mattress-Warranty/dp/B0050JL4TC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1362033232&sr=8-12&keywords=novaform

https://www.amazon.com/LinenSpa-Mattress-Four-Layer-Charcoal-Warranty/dp/B0088YVEU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362338729&sr=8-2&keywords=latex+mattress

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Queen/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

https://www.amazon.com/Foamex-12-Inch-Ultra-Luxe-Mattress-Natural/dp/B001E972OI/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1362326319&sr=1-3&keywords=Aerus+Natural

I have dismissed most of these but it gives you an idea of what I have been looking at. I began to dismiss a number of these mattresses like the DynastyMattresss ones after reading a post by Phoenix that made some good points about not knowing what they chemicals were being put into them or where they were made. Subsequent research makes me think they are made in china. I liked the look of the LinenSpa mattress on the website but I think I may dismiss that one as well for the same reason as the Dynasty ones. The Ultimate Dreams has some good reviews but I am hesitant with that one because I don’t know if I would pick the correct fim/soft setting after ordering. The Foamex one is one I found by following a link that Phoenix gave as his recommendation in one of his posts. I like that it is a more natural mattress but I am still undecided on it.

After doing some research I think I would like a mattress that is similar to a plush mattress. I tried one like that in Sears and I liked it more then the firm ones. Originally I thought I wanted memory foam or gel memory foam like is in the icomfort but after reading about the chemicals and off gassing I think I would prefer a latex mattress. I have allergies and I do not like chemicals. The smell from household cleaning supplies is enough to make me feel sick.

One thing I have found that appeals to me is the natural latex. I think I would be much happier with a mattresses made of natural compounds. One site I have found that sells mattresses like that is:

I found this link in a thread created by someone who was narrowing down their comparisons. They were looking at the following line:

I like that mattress and I also like this one:

Are these two mattresses as good as the website makes them sound?

Their description says you can upgrade from a 2" topper to a 3" topper. Is this worth doing? It doesn’t say how much it would cost so I cannot compare it that way.

Even if they are as good as the website makes them sound I will still have to give them careful consideration because I don’t know if I am willing to spend that much money on a mattress. I wanted to get a quality mattress in full size or queen size for under $1000. These are not much over that so if they are truly worth the investment then I will consider it. For me the fact that it says they are made of natural ingredients is one of the biggest selling points.

This is where I am at so far. Any guidance in choosing the right mattress for me would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to compare the above to other natural mattresses so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Also one more thing. Regardless of which mattress I end up buying, I was planning on building the platform for it myself rather then buying one so I would save some money. I was going to use the slat design as mentioned on the website given and in some of the forum posts I have read. Is this a good or bad idea? Please explain why.

Hi Physical70,

I think that most of your questions are answered in post #1 here and the information it links to. This is always the place to start. It will help you know what to avoid and what to focus on and why.

Once you’ve read this then it’s just a matter of following the steps one at a time which will lead to the best possible choice for your personal needs and preferences. As you mentioned … this will eliminate most of the choices you have been looking at but it will also tell you why the better choices you have also included (Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam and Mattresses.net) really are among the best quality and value in the country.

This one wouldn’t pass my criteria and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it. It doesn’t list the specs for every layer of the mattress and I have no idea who the people are who are selling it. You wouldn’t find me even looking at this unless you were able to find out the details of the layers AND you were confident that they had the knowledge and experience to help you make sure that this mattress was was suitable for your body type and sleeping positions. The shipping weight also doesn’t make sense.

The best source of information about the better mattresses you are considering will come with a phone conversation with the manufacturers who are your best source of information (once you’ve read the basic information which will help you know more about the materials you are considering).

Just follow the steps in the post I linked one at a time.

If you have the skill and knowledge to build a foundation that is suitable and strong enough for the mattress you buy and you would either enjoy the challenge of making it yourself rather than buying it or like saving yourself some money at the cost of some time or would enjoy it for its own sake … then why not? Only you can really answer the why.

So once you’ve caught up on the basics and you’ve done some local testing and have talked with the two manufacturers that you’ve mentioned that are members here then if some of your questions aren’t answered let me know and I’ll be happy to either answer them or link you to the post that already has.

Phoenix

I can sure relate to that! I think because I hiked and backpacked so much I figured if I could sleep on the ground, it shouldn’t matter too much what kind of mattress I slept on.

But actually some of those “old cheap” mattresses might be better than some of the “new expensive” ones. Mattress quality has apparently gone downhill in the last 5-10 years, plus they passed a new law requiring lots of toxic fire-retardant chemicals. We were sleeping on an old mattress that was included with house we bought furnished…with no issues. In fact, I never had a problem with a mattress until we bought a NEW mattress. (Now, thanks to this site, we have a perfect new mattress. :slight_smile: )

Latex is definitely the bomb, but a $1,000 budget is tough for all-latex. I know it’s a lot of money though. I’m just a newbie myself, but following the advice here definitely helped us find a great mattress at the best price too. Just follow the steps like Phoenix said and I think you’ll be happy with the results.

Sorry, in regards to the Foamex link I got my links mixed up. The one you linked to in another post is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Aerus-Natural-Memory-Foam-Mattress-with-Pomerol-Cover/11030706

it is in post #8 of this thread:

I forgot I had searched that brand on amazon to look for other models of their mattresses. While not something I am considering anymore it was part of what started my search for mattresses that are made with natural materials.

I have read through your site about the different materials and their pro’s and con’s. I will admit though I didn’t fully read that first post you linked to. I have only gone back to it a few times to read some bits here and there. I will go back over it more in depth.

How do the following manufacturers compare to Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam and Mattresses.net?

http://designsleep.com/category/mattresses/

www.mygreenmattress.com

I tried to look at them but I have BitDefender antivirus and it flags that site as having malware. It may be a false positive but it gives me reservations when considering buying a mattress from them.

Mattresses.net gives me the impression of being more natural material focused then Brooklyn Bedding. (Brooklyn Bedding still seems good though) Is that actually the case or just the way their website makes it appear?

Hi Phoenix,

I have been reading your threads for the last 4+ hours… and am so glad i stumbled across it.
Can you please make a suggestion for me for which gel infused memory foam is the best one on the market now. I have been sleeping on many beds in the last 2 months and found that I really like the icomfort/iseries and tempur pedic memory foam mattresses.

Can you please suggest a lower priced but similar alternative to these… i am located in downtown toronto… i was hoping to buy a mattress under $1000.

I dont have any allergies… and have been sleeping on a no name plush top mattress all my life… so would really like to invest in an awesome mattress.

i read you first post and many other posts already… and do realize the density of the mattress is very important and also one’s personal preference… i tend to lean towards the not firm mattresses.

here are a few online that I am interested in, any feedback on these would be much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0062BZPXS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TKVYTFHWNH8O

what i like about this one is that the density of the foams used is really good… the top layer which is 4" has a 5.2" density and the bottom foam is 6" and has standard 2" density…

and this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003CT37JM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

what i like about this is the 700+ customers who gave it a really good review… even though on the site, there is no information about the density of the foams being used…

please advice

last but not least, i am also looking at other good quality products… and any other products at costco and walmart , sams club or even if its in the US, as i can pick it up from Buffallo …

here is another one i really like:
http://www.novosbed.ca/products-page/memory-foam-mattress/aria-queen/

its soft top… and has good density:
•Just over 10" total thickness for supreme comfort and support
•2" of Premium Plush Memory Foam (4.1 lbs/ft3)
•2" of Premium Memory Foam (5.2 lbs/ft3)
•7" of Premium Support Foam (2 lbs/ft3)

Hi Phsical70,

I do like Aerus memory foam but before I considered this mattress (or any mattress) I would want to know the density of the base layer. It’s likely to be in the 1.5 lb range which is low quality and would not be as durable as a higher quality base layer. You can see the memory foam criteria I use in post #10 here.

I’ve also noticed that some of the big box stores haven’t been accurate in some of their listings as you can see in post #2 here.

I think that the one good thing about the big box stores is their return policy and they can also be a good option for someone that can sleep on anything and where the suitability of a mattress for their needs and preferences isn’t as important. Other than that though you would be making a purchase based on the luck of the draw and your willingness to keep returning mattresses until you find the right one because they certainly don’t have the knowledge to help their customers choose the most suitable mattress.

I think highly of both of these although they are all very different and not directly comparable.

Design sleep has a whole range of mattresses including latex, innersprings, and microcoils. They are knowledgeable and helpful, have good value, and are well worth talking to and visiting if you are near them. Because they are local you can test them in person which to me increases the value of a mattress vs an online purchase and I usually use a guideline of about 20% or so to reflect the added value of a local purchase vs the extra risk involved in an online purchase.

Mygreenmattress is a member of this site (like Brooklyn bedding and Mattresses.net and others) which means I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country. Every person that has gone there has commented on the exceptional knowledge and service they have received. Their latex mattresses are a little unusual in that they are two sided which add to their value as well. They are also mostly local in the Chicago area but they also ship their mattresses anywhere in the country and would also be well worth talking to.

I would guess you are getting a false positive and I wouldn’t hesitate to visit their site (and their Quality Sleep Shop sister site) … or for that matter to buy a mattress from them,

Mattresses.net has a strong focus towards latex itself (of all types in both natural and blended) although they sell other types of mattresses as well and they are one of the few (and among the first) to carry organic Dunlop latex. I would think it’s fair to say that many people looking for natural or organic latex would buy from them because of their knowledge and the value of their products but I would say that their main focus in providing high value choices in all the types of latex that people may prefer which of course includes natural latex.

Brooklyn Bedding tends more towards hybrid mattresses (latex or memory foam exchangeable comfort layers over polyfoam) but also has other options including an all latex mattress as well. Most of the latex they sell is blended Talalay (some include natural Dunlop as well) and their focus in on the online sales of high quality and value mattresses that have a very flexible design more than a larger selection of many different types of latex.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thank you very much. That information is very helpful. I went out looking today just to get a feel for some different mattresses. http://designsleep.com is very close to me so I will try to go to their store sometime this week and try out some mattresses. After looking at their website I think they are going to be to expensive for me but hopefully it will give me a better idea of what mattress I find most comfortable.

Hi Physical70,

I think its always a good idea to do some local testing with any type of material that you are not familiar with to make sure that you like it and of course to get a sense of the softness or firmness level you may prefer.

While the latex mattresses at Design Sleep are all latex (which is more costly than a latex hybrid) … they can certainly give you a better sense of the feel of latex in different firmness levels.

Phoenix