Need Advice on Latex Comfort Layer

Hi, I’ve been lurking in this forum and have learnt a lot myself from this community! I’ve basically nailed down to a soft 3" Dunlop Latex topper from LMF, but I’m not sure if it’ll really fit me. I know it’s crucial to test it out myself but there isn’t really local mattresses shop near me that sells latex mattress toppers I believe.

Here’s me and my girlfriend’s stats:
Me - 5’5 135 lbs, mainly back, sometimes side.
Her - 5’2 115 lbs, mainly side, sometimes stomach

Anyway, I have an IKEA queen mattress Haugesund 9" medium. It’s fine when I sleep on my back but if I do sleep on my side, I feel the pressure building on my shoulders. Since my girlfriend only sleep on her sides, it’s not comfortable for her and I’m thinking of adding either a 2" or 3" soft Dunlop latex topper on it.

My question is, would the 3" topper be too much since I already have a mattress on its own and I don’t want to just sink in the bed too much. And would soft dunlop be okay or do I have to go Talalay? I’m kinda on a budget , hence I did not build the whole mattress over; just the topper. But even with just Talalay topper it’s a significant amount of money. So yeah I’m here for advice, I know it’s hard because it’s my body and not others, so it wouldn’t make sense to take someone’s advice but I think having options from professionals and people with similar experiences would really help me.

Thanks in advance for anyone helping me, and I’m glad I found this forum.

Derick

Hi derickr3d and thanks for reaching out! So the best way to summarize it would be to say that a 2" topper will make the mattress feel moderately softer and the 3" topper will make the mattress feel much softer. It sounds like a 2" topper would be the better choice to help ensure it doesn’t get too soft for you, but of course it’s hard to say with certainty until you actually sleep on it. Aside from that, Talalay is more common for toppers because Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and it’s also better at what we call secondary support. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. Even though Dunlop will give you plenty of contour, pressure relief, and secondary support, it won’t be as much as Talalay. So a Dunlop topper might work just fine for you, and there’s a chance that it doesn’t. I just won’t be able to say in advance whether it will be sufficient. It should be sufficient, but I can’t promise that at this point, and you just won’t know until you sleep on it.

Thanks for the advice! I think I’m still going for the 3" Dunlop, fingers crossed they would work. If they ended up not working for me, what’s the process of returning it to get Talalay?

Just contact us within the first 30 days of getting the topper and we’ll process the $45 exchange fee plus the price difference between Dunlop and Talalay. We will ship your layers first, and we will ship them with extra plastic that you can use to package your current layers, and we will ship it with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label. Also, if you will please call us when you are ready to ship your layers back we will schedule a free Fed Ex pick up for you.