Need advice....

I recently purchased a Simmons Legend mattress and I haven’t gotten a good nights sleep since I took delivery. I need a mattress that does not create a gully when you sleep on it. What do I need to look for to avoid this problem?

Hi pinkpeonies,

In very general terms you would need to make sure that you find out the type and quality of all the materials inside your mattress so you can make sure there are no lower quality and less durable materials or weak links in any mattress you are considering (see this article).

In more practical terms this would mean avoiding any of the major brands or any other mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here) and I would focus more on retailers and smaller manufacturers that are more knowledgeable and transparent and will provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

The mattress shopping tutorial here also includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly help you learn how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Thank you for the info.
I think I am in for a battle with the retailer since they will not return my calls. Funny, because before I purchased the mattress, they were all over me. Small claims court seems to be my only option unfortunately.

Hi pinkpeonies,

If your mattress has a visible impression when there is nobody on the mattress that is deeper than the warranty exclusion (generally 1.5") then it would be considered a defect and you may qualify for a warranty replacement. You can measure the depth of the impression with a straight edge or tight string across the surface of the mattress. If you are having difficulty reaching the retailer then you can also call the manufacturer as well.

If on the other hand there isn’t a visible impression that is deeper than the warranty exclusion and you are experiencing a comfort issue rather than a warranty issue (you don’t sleep well on the mattress) then you would be subject to the return or exchange policy at the store that you purchased from.

Where did you purchase the mattress?

Phoenix

A few more things to take a look at:

• You didn’t mention if you bought a matching set or a mattress alone (you mentioned mattress in your original post but sometimes people say that when they mean set). If you bought a mattress alone you need to make sure that you’re placing it upon a flat and firm surface that mimics the semi-flex foundation normally use by Simmons. If your foundation is sagging it will cause your mattress to sag.
  • You didn’t mention size, but assuming this is a queen mattress you need to make sure that any frame network has a proper center support. Lack of a center support will cause the product to sag and void your warranty.
  • Was the mattress new, or was it a comfort exchanges / closeout center product? Only new mattresses will potentially qualify for a warranty replacement.

As Phoenix mentioned, a measureable depression over 1.5" is considered a defect. Comfort and how much you sink in while on the bed does not qualify for warranty consideration.

As far as going to court, you don’t have to go that route immediately. If your dealer is unresponsive, your next step would be to contact Simmons directly through their customer service department listed on their web site.

Good luck!
Jeff