Need an 8" ( or less) mattress for our RV

The queen mattress that came with our truck camper is terrible so we want to get a replacement. Our challenge is that there are cabinets that open over the bed, so we are limited by how thick the mattress can be. The current mattress is 8" thick and there is no room to go any thicker. Given that limitation, what type of mattress makes the most sense? It seems that most conventional inner spring mattresses are too thick and the foam mattresses that are thin enough seem to be the cheaper models with lower quality materials. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Depends on your preferences. But from what I’ve seen 8" is more than enough for a foam matress unless you’re quite heavy or lean toward very soft beds.

Something along the lines of 3" Latex over 5" polyfoam for instance, could work quite well. Memory-foam over poly-foam likewise, if of your preference.

The whole what suits those that’ll be sleeping on it is the harder part. 8" isn’t tough to get a decent mattress under tho with foam at-least. …

Basically. The question is what suits those that’ll sleep on it first and formost, and also ofc you want to and/or are willing to spend.

also… what size is it? something standard or nonstandard? XD Helps pointing to resources when thats known

Hi CDBinns,

I would completely agree with roguethunder’s comments both about thickness, preferences, and sizing.

Choosing a mattress for your camper would be similar to choosing a mattress for your home (and I would follow the same steps in the mattress shopping tutorial here) and would depend on which materials or types of mattress you tend to prefer sleeping on and would also depend on your budget (good quality specialty foams like latex and memory foam are more costly than other types of foam). If you are only using a mattress seasonally then it would generally be OK to use slightly lower quality/density and less durable materials than would be appropriate if you were sleeping on it every night but I wouldn’t go too far in a lower quality less durable direction either and higher quality materials will maintain their comfort and support for considerably longer than lower quality materials … especially in the comfort layers.

Once you have decided on the types of materials you prefer then the rest of the process of choosing a mattress will be much easier.

Assuming that your camper mattress will only be for temporary use and that you are in a lower budget range … posts #3 and #4 here include some of the better lower budget online latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of and post #4 here includes some of the better online options for other types of mattresses (memory foam or polyfoam) that are also in lower budget ranges.

There are many mattresses that are 8" or less that use high quality materials but as roguethunder mentioned you would generally be looking at 2" to 3" of comfort materials (softer foam) over a suitable support core (most likely polyfoam if you are in a lower budget range).

Phoenix