Need an advice for buying a latex mattress

Hi,
I live in Montréal (Québec). I’m looking to buy a new mattress, but after going in many stores, trying latex and memory foam beds, readings reviews… I’m more indecise than at the beginning!

I almost bought the Dormeo Octaspring 5500, but after reading really bad reviews, I don’t know if it’s a good idea:
http://questionrs.com/tube/ E2yCuSl6E3I/dormeo-octaspring- review-6500-mattress-6-months- old-real-customer

http://www.reviews-mattress. com/dormeo-octaspring-reviews. html
Etc.

Now, I’m really not sure if what should buy:

or something else.

I also heard about Essentia store…

I’m 5’3’’ and 107 pounds.

After reading your tutorial and articles, I think I’d rather go with a latex mattress. Do you think you can give me an advice?

Thank you so much!

Hi France,

I would be cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else either in terms of suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or in terms of durability (see post #13 here). Reviews about the knowledge or service at a particular store can certainly be helpful but when it comes to the specifics of a mattress they won’t provide you with the type of reliable information you will need to make an informed choice about how well you will sleep on a mattress, how long you will sleep well, or the “value” of a mattress purchase compared to all the other options that are available to you either in your area or online.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

The most important part of “value” of a mattress purchase is comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which you will be able to assess with your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) but outside of PPP a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the durability and useful lifetime of a mattress is also a very important part of the value of a mattress. No matter how it may feel in a showroom … there would be little value in buying a mattress where the use of lower quality and less durable materials leads to foam softening and the loss of comfort and support much too quickly after a purchase and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t considered to be a defect and isn’t covered by a mattress warranty (see post #174 here). The information you need to assess the durability of a mattress is listed in this article.

Zbed doesn’t list the specifics of the materials in the Snowpedic description so if you can find out the specifics of the type and density of all the foam layers and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials. Without this information it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials in a mattress.

The Green Sleep Pure Comfort uses high quality materials (100% natural Dunlop) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress so it would certainly be a durable choice although it’s also in a higher budget range than other latex mattresses that may also be suitable for you so I would make sure you make some careful value comparisons based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more information and comments about the Dormeo Octaspring mattresses in post #2 here and the posts it links to but I would make sure you confirm the thickness and density of all the foam layers before a purchase and I would also make some careful “value” comparisons with this mattress as well.

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Needless to say I would be very cautious here.

I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The best advice I can provide is to follow the 5 steps in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time which will give you the best possible chance of finding a mattress that is the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” for you based on all the criteria that are most important to you. Of course if you have any specific questions along the way that I can help with or if you are given some information that needs a “fact check” then I’m certainly happy to answer them to the best of my ability as well.

Once you are at step 3 in the tutorial then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Montreal area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #276 here.

A forum search on Montreal (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback from other members in the area that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix