Need an expert opinion

I’m having trouble like most people when choosing a mattress. There are so many different mattresses and not enough experience choosing one. I’m trying to buy a mattress from Macy’s because I have giftcards from my wedding and my parents are giving us money for it.

I’m looking at the
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/beautyrest-recharge-mattress-sets-palisades-court-plush-pillowtop?ID=797890
We tried it out and liked the feel a lot. We would prefer a softer mattress and hope that it last about 15 years. My question to you experts is… Is this a good mattress? Will this last? Should I consider another mattress from Macy’s in the $1200-1600 price range? Should i buy the firm version and add a soft pillowtopper/tempurpedic topper?

Thanks!

Hi jano,

There are definitely more expert people here than I, but I can give you some pointers on where to start.

The first thing you want to review is the post on how to evaluate a mattress to know if it’s suitable for you, and understand how to tell if the mattress is made from more durable materials that might last a long time. The post is here and has links to several other important articles.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first

As to overall advice, this website tends to focus on providing you a means to select what’s right for you and guide you to your own decision. That said, generally speaking, you’re going to get advice to avoid the big box stores and larger brand name mattresses, mostly because they don’t disclose what’s inside the mattress for you to be able to tell if it’s going to be durable or not, and when people disassemble those mattresses they often find that they are made with lower quality/ less durable materials.

Nevertheless, I’d recommend you start at post #1 above as it contains a wealth of information!

Hi Jano!

I suggest you take the time to shop and buy from a local, small mattress craftsman. Remember you will be spending more time in your mattress than you car. So its very important that you choose wisely, and that you work with someone that has your best interest at hand. This way you will establish a relationship between you and your mattress maker, and he will do everything in his power to make sure your are completely happy with your purchase.
Plus if ever you have any warranty issues, its always easier to deal with the individual who made it, than some customer support agent at the other end of the line.

I hope this will help you and remember
Always buy a good pair of shoes and a good bed, if you aren’t in one you are in the other.

cheers

Hi Jano,

The tutorial post that dn linked will be the most helpful or anything else on the forum but to answer your questions directly …

In terms of quality and value and compared to many other choices you have available to you … no.

Probably not as long as you want it to (or even close) … no

I wouldn’t consider anything Macy’s had to offer … no

While this would be a slightly better option than the one you were considering … I wouldn’t go in this direction either no.

Phoenix