need durable, firm, non-toxic mattress in Canada

Hi, I hope someone can help me… I bought a HR mattress from MFC, which was totally comfortable, but the smell was still giving me nausea and migraines two months later. I bought a latex from Majestic Sit and Sleep (Nature’s Embrace/Renelle Furniture) but it was lopsided with a trench down one side. I had a perfect Beautyrest before that, but it started indenting after 1.5 years, causing pain. I prefer the bounce of latex or the firmness of foam over the trapping sink of memory foam. I’d rather throw a topper over something too firm, than sink into anything too soft. I just need FIRM, FLAT, and NON TOXIC. Please tell me what to buy! Thanks for your help.

Hey anika,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]Hi, I hope someone can help me… I bought a HR mattress from MFC, which was totally comfortable, but the smell was still giving me nausea and migraines two months later. I bought a latex from Majestic Sit and Sleep (Nature’s Embrace/Renelle Furniture) but it was lopsided with a trench down one side. I had a perfect Beautyrest before that, but it started indenting after 1.5 years, causing pain.
[/quote]

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear of the problems you’ve had with your mattress testing over the past several months; between foam sensitivities due to one mattress and defective construction of the second, it seems you’ve had quite the time finding something suitable. It’s unfortunate too that your Beautyrest had such a short life, 1.5 years is rather soon for mattress compressions to occur. Just curious: which Beautyrest did you have and what size was it? What area of Canada do you live in?

Good job on understanding what materials respond best for your preferences, anika! It would be helpful if you would share a little of your personal statistics, as your height, weight, sleep positions(s) and body shape/ weight distribution all play roles in the types of materials and constructions that will provide the highest comfort, support and durability for your needs. If you share the bed with someone, the same details are needed regarding them as well.

While we do not “tell” consumers “what to buy”, we do provide thought starters for your research, such as the questions above, to help guide you through a self-educated process for narrowing down choices. You may find these articles by Phoenix particularly useful, beginning with “Five Steps to Your Perfect Mattress”. From there, try a read of"Mattress Specifications You Need to Know" for learning what basic mattress specs and “weak links” to look for, "Mattress Shopping Guidelines: Finding the Best Quality and Value"offers a wealth of shopping tips and "Finding a Great Mattress Outlet"provides guidance for working with a manufacturer. Looking forward to hearing more of your details and thanks :slight_smile: .

Sensei

Hi Sensei,

Thanks for your response and suggestions!

I don’t remember which double size Beautyrest it was, but I bought it for $300 here in Victoria, BC from Sleep Country, so definitely a lower end model.

I’m 5’5", 120 lbs, and sleep on my back on a comfortable and supportive mattress. Otherwise, I flip side to back to other side all night, like on the camping mat I’m using now. lol.
I have Ehlers Danlos hyperextensibility, so my joints give way, and my body conforms to whatever I’m resting on. This is why i need it flat and firm without sag. Getting older (46) I’m also finding I need some pressure relief on top too, but i can always add toppers to soften firmness. And I sleep alone due to all these sensitivities. :slight_smile:
I think a HD or HR foam mattress would be perfect, but how can I find one that won’t poison me?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey anika,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

Thanks for sharing your personal statistics anika, as those give a bit more insight of what mattress materials and constructions would better suit
your body profile and sleep positions. With your combination of back and side sleeping, you may find a comfort layer that is a little thinner than your “deepest” sleeping position would normally require (as when side sleeping) and then choose a support layer underneath that helps you to sink in a little extra when you need it.

Thanks too for further explaining your Ehlers Danlos hyperextensibility issues. Indeed; a mattress having just enough pressure point relieving materials in the comfort layer, as well as firm enough support for correct spinal alignment and some ease of your chronic pain would be a good choice. What size mattress do you plan to purchase and do you have a budget in mind? Just curious: have you tried using a weighted blanket with any of your setups?

An HD or HR foam mattress “could” be a good choice for you, it should provide the firmer feel that you’re looking for. Please review Phoenix’s polyfoam guidelinesto understand the what density ratings indicate optimal durability for the mattress when used as a comfort layer material. HD/ High Density polyfoam with a foam density of 1.5 lbs per cubic foot or more (1.8 lbs is a better guideline) would generally considered to be the bottom end of high quality polyfoam. HR/ High Resiliency polyfoam is the highest grade of polyfoam and weighs 2.5 lbs per cubic foot or more. To qualify as HR it must also have a support factor of 2.4 or higher. You can learn more about both HD and HR foams used as support cores . If you purchase a mattress from a high quality local/ regional manufacturer or specialty sleep shop, they will usually tell you what grade of polyfoam they use in their components. The highest quality grades of polyfoam can approach latex in their performance, although they generally won’t match it and still won’t generally last as long. While HD/ HR foams don’t usually have the same issues with toxicity and off-gassing as memory foam may, there is still a potential in their manufacturing, so make sure that any HD/ HR foam mattress you are considering is North American manufactured and has been tested by a reputable testing organization such as CertiPur-US as well. With the nature of your sensitivities, some other certifications you should look for include Okeo-Tex Standard 100 (for fabrics/ textiles) and Eco-INSTITUT (latex). Hope this helps and looking forward to your updates :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei