Need Expert Opinion: Therapedic Memory Foam Mattress

Hi all. I’ve been lurking on this site for quite some time, and I’ve found it to be extremely helpful in my mattress search to this point. I’m now at the point where the wife and I have found one we like (based on the three P’s); however, I’m not sure about the quality of the materials/construction. Was hoping to get an expert opinion. Below is the info. I have:

Mattress Name: Therapedic Tierra Verde
Style: Plush

Quilt: 1" Performa Plush Quilt Foam

Upholstery: 2" TheraCool Memory Touch Gel Foam

Core: Progressive Resistance Core ( 4" HD Ultra Performance Plush Foam & 4" HD Ultra Performance Firm Foam)

Warranty: 10 Year NP

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi ChoctawNole05,

[quote]Was hoping to get an expert opinion. Below is the info. I have:

Mattress Name: Therapedic Tierra Verde
Style: Plush

Quilt: 1" Performa Plush Quilt Foam

Upholstery: 2" TheraCool Memory Touch Gel Foam

Core: Progressive Resistance Core ( 4" HD Ultra Performance Plush Foam & 4" HD Ultra Performance Firm Foam)

Warranty: 10 Year NP

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! [/quote]

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

It sounds like you have confirmed that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (which is the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase) but of course the durability of the materials are also an important part of the value of any mattress purchase and the information you listed doesn’t say anything about the quality/density of the materials. If you can find out the information listed in this article from the retailer you are dealing with and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials inside it and the mattress as a whole.

Without this information there really isn’t any way for me to know or make any meaningful comments about whether the mattress uses good quality materials or whether there are any weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for the quick reply. Because this is a memory foam mattress, based on your last response, it sounds like I need to ask the density of each foam layer (in lbs per cu. ft) and the type of fabric, and any quilting materials used in the cover, is that it? It sounds like the rest of those questions are for latex or innerspring mattresses. Please correct me if that statement is incorrect, or if I need to ask other questions. If that is it, I will get that information ASAP and post it on here. (likely tomorrow)

I think I found that at least 1.8 lbs per cu. ft. is the recommended density, is that correct?

Lastly, having never had a memory form mattress before, my biggest concern is heat while sleeping… Any advice regarding buying a memory foam, and still ensuring I don’t sleep hot?

FWIW, I am dealing with FamousTate in Tampa, FL, as per a recommendation from you in another thread.

Thank you!

One positive, FamousTate has a one time 60 day return policy with no restocking fee. ($45 delivery charge does apply for the second mattress in that case though)

Hi ChoctawNole05,

You would need to know the type and density of all the polyfoam or memory foam (or gel memory foam) layers in the mattress except for the 1" polyfoam quilting layer which isn’t thick enough to be a weak link in the mattress.

To be more specific (from top to bottom) …

1" Performa Plush Quilt Foam: This is only 1" so it’s inside the guidelines of “no more than about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown materials so you won’t need to know the density of the polyfoam quilting layer

2" TheraCool Memory Touch Gel Foam: You would need to know the density of this gel memory foam layer.

4" HD Ultra Performance Plush Foam: You would need to know the density of this polyfoam layer.

4" HD Ultra Performance Firm Foam: You would need to know the density of this polyfoam layer.

I would suggest 1.8 lbs as a minimum for polyfoam layers yes unless the mattress is in a lower budget range where there may need to be some compromises in the cost and quality/density of the materials and in this case if you aren’t in a higher weight range (more than the low 200’s or so) where you would most likely compress the deeper support layers “through” the comfort layers more deeply than those that are in lighter weight ranges then 1.5 lbs can also be suitable.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for a particular person or know for certain how two mattresses will compare in terms of temperature regulation (there is no standardized testing for this) … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Your mattress protector and your sheets and bedding and bedclothes can also have a significant effect on sleeping temperature regardless of the type of materials in your mattress.

The layers that are closest to you will have a bigger effect on sleeping temperature than layers that are farther away from you so upper layers will have a bigger effect than deeper layers.

Gel foam materials tend to have a cooler surface temperature when you touch them but the benefits of gel materials tends to be short term so while the gel can help with cooling when you first go to sleep at night, once temperatures equalize then the insulating properties of the base foam material become dominant. There is more about gel foams in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Having said all that … even though in general terms memory foams and to a slightly lesser extent gel memory foams can be warmer than other types of foam materials … only a relatively small percentage of people that are closer to the oven end of the “oven to iceberg” range will tend to have temperature regulation issues with most gel memory foam mattresses.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
2" TheraCool Memory Touch Gel Foam: You would need to know the density of this gel memory foam layer.

ANSWER: The sales rep. said, that this was 3 lbs of gel I think?  Not sure on the density.

4" HD Ultra Performance Plush Foam: You would need to know the density of this polyfoam layer.

ANSWER:  The density for this layer is 1.8 lbs per cu. feet

4" HD Ultra Performance Firm Foam: You would need to know the density of this polyfoam layer.

ANSWER:  The density for this layer is 1.5 lbs per cu. feet.

The mattress was listed at $1,399. I ended up paying $1,250 to include delivery, the two bases, a king size sheet, the frame, and the mattress protector.

Feedback?

FWIW, I’m in the 170 weight range. My wife is in the 130 weight range.

Hi ChoctawNole05,

If the density of the gel memory foam is 3 lbs then it would be a lower quality/density than I would be comfortable with or that I would suggest in the guidelines here and could be a potential weak link in the mattress.

These would both be fine. The middle layer that would be subject to the greatest deflection (other than the comfort layers) is 1.8 lbs which would be fine for most weight ranges and the bottom layer which would be firmer and the least subject to deflection is 1.5 lbs which is also fine because it’s the least likely layer to soften or break down prematurely. Manufacturers often use a lower quality/density material in the bottom layer of a mattress because it’s the best place to save costs and reduce the price of a mattress by using a slightly lower quality/density material that for most people would have little to no effect on the durability of the mattress.

The top 3" of this mattress would be the weakest link in the mattress and are lower quality/density than I would normally suggest.

Phoenix