need good advice - can I "fix" this wrong bed purchase w/a topper?

Purchased a bed months ago that is not working out; I think the biggest problem is it’s too firm. Borrowed a memory foam topper for a few weeks, helped in some ways, but not in others. Have a theory that maybe a latex topper might allow me to feel more comfortable and use the bed. Could be a long-term solution (5+ years) or a medium-term solution (6 months to 1 year) that would just buy me time to find a bed that’s a better fit for me, and save up for another bed.

I’m 5’2", overweight now but not sure how much (must be over 150 lbs, probably under 200 lbs), and probably have one of the worst spines of anyone you’ve met. Was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis (Grade 3 on the Meyerding scale) and had spinal fusion surgery with a battery implant more than 25 years ago. CT scans a few years after surgery showed that the fusion was not totally successful. No follow-up radiology for at least 20 years now, so not sure whether the problem has worsened to Grade 4 by now. I have to live with a lot of limitation, and some chronic pain, but the fusion surgery did dramatically lower my pain levels, and literally gave me a second chance at life. (Tried to paste in a diagram to show the nature and extent of the spine problem. This didn’t work, but if you google “Meyerding grading”, the diagram showing different grades of spondylolisthesis should come up.)

Because of my bad back, I have, for decades, been a side sleeper. I also use a pillow between my legs to try to keep my spine better aligned. The new bed we purchased months ago is a Simmons Beautyrest extra firm. The surface is not comfortable, it seems too hard. Sinking too deeply into beds makes me worry that there’s inadequate support (not good if you’re overweight and have a bad back). But when I lie down on this bed, I feel like I stay suspended on the surface and it doesn’t cradle my body much at all. I suspect that it might not be conducive to a neutral spine position. The firmness also bothers my shoulders and sometimes hips, too. I have trouble falling asleep on it, and often resort to sleeping on my almost 30-year-old mattress because it’s softer. But both the old mattress and the new bed are taking a toll on my back. And every night, I dread trying to go to sleep.

I’m hoping that adding a latex mattress topper might fix this problem so that I can make use of the new bed and be comfortable – either in the long term or the short term. Since I have a job again, maybe I can save for a bed that’s more appropriate to my needs – one that’s a smaller size and therefore won’t take up too much room space, one that doesn’t need a topper to be usable, one that’s an appropriate height. Then maybe I’d have someone move the very firm bed (with topper?) to our guest room. Or sell it.

Despite having reservations about memory foam, I was desperate and tried borrowing a memory foam mattress topper for a few weeks. By giving me a softer surface, this helped me be able to fall asleep on the firm bed, and was softer on my shoulders and hips. But I think it was worse for my back. When I was using it, it seemed like I sank down too much. Again, it felt like my spine wasn’t staying in a neutral position. I think it was too squishy, overcompensating for how firm the mattress was.

So now I’m thinking maybe a LATEX topper might be the right way to add a comfort layer for me. Maybe latex wouldn’t be quite as squishy, and would have the right amount of “push-back”?

My reasoning is based on my almost 30-year-old mattress. Years ago, it was easier to buy a bed – I simply picked out the only bed that I wasn’t in pain on when I lay down. That bed was so comfortable for me – even during the worst years of my back pain. It was Simmons brand, the label said “Chiropedic” somewhere on there, but the model was called Eternity Super Plush Firm. “Super Plush Firm” sounds like a contradiction in terms, but it was just perfect for me and my terrible spine. If it wasn’t so old and worn out, I think it would still be great for my back. I contacted Simmons to find out whether they make a model like the Eternity – and they claimed they do not. I asked them to share the specifications so I could find a bed of similar construction, but their response was a completely useless marketing letter listing their current main product lines and recommending that I go to a retailer and try those. They provided absolutely no information about the materials or construction of either their new bed products or about the Eternity Super Plush Firm bed.

I’m 95% sure that the Eternity model had pocketed coils, but I don’t know about the rest of the construction. But I have a theory – since it lasted so incredibly long, was comfortable for at least 20 years, perhaps it had comfort layers of latex on top of the coils? My understanding is that both kinds of latex are very durable, with Dunlop possibly being a little more long lasting than Talalay, but both last a long time. Are there any other types of foam that were used in beds in the early '90s that would have lasted so long? Oh, if only I knew for sure how that bed was constructed, I’d know the components to look for.

Questions:

#1. Is it likely that adding a latex topper might solve the problem and make the too-firm bed comfortable? Would using latex instead of a memory foam topper be likely to enable my back to have the support it needs, and allow it to rest in neutral alignment? Please be honest whether a topper could fix this problem, either just for the short term (until I can find a bed that’s much better for me) or for the long term.

FOR NEXT FEW QUESTIONS- If you believe that a latex topper would be a reasonable solution for my situation, then …

#2. What ILD should I look for? Soft, like 18-19? Or more medium, like 22-24? Or some other score? How do I figure out the right softness or firmness?
(I tried to find out the IFD score of the memory foam topper that was too soft and squishy, so I’d have a frame of reference. However, the manufacturer could not/would not provide the information, and resorted to ‘useless marketing fluff’ language, instead of answering the question.)

#3. Would you recommend choosing Dunlop or Talalay?

#4. How thick of a topper do you recommend in this case? It seems like most of the latex toppers come in 3-inch or 2-inch depth. Which do you recommend for my situation?

#5. If using a topper would work in the long-term, it would also add more height to the bed, so I’d want to have someone move it off the metal bed frame to lower the overall height to an appropriate level. Is this a problem? My understanding is that it’s better to use a metal frame so as to have more air circulation underneath the bed, but how necessary is this? Also, while the warranties usually require that customers use a new, matching foundation under their mattress, would having the foundation on the floor instead of resting on a metal bed frame void most of these warranties?

(The new bed we purchased was defectively made, and so we ended up having to take the floor model so as not to lose the expensive purchase price of the bed. Even though it’s a floor model, we have a pro-rated warranty on it. For comparison, the surface of the bed is 26"- 27" inches above the floor. I measured a few other beds and the surface of these are 19" - 22" above the floor, which is a more comfortable height for me, since I am only about 5’2".)

#6. I’ve learned a lot from this negative bed purchase experience, but still worry that I don’t know things I probably need to know to make a good choice next time. What is your best advice? What’s the best way to figure out which materials and construction meet your needs without wasting a lot of money with trial and error, and buying beds that aren’t comfortable?
Do retailers have to be able to give you specifications of how beds are constructed, and out of what materials? Does a consumer have the right to access this information? Do retailers usually have access to such information? Do you have to ask the manufacturer? Can the retailer or manufacturer refuse to share this info? Is there a standard document used in the industry that provides the specifications for each mattress (components, construction info)?
Is it better to go to a retailer? Or better to buy materials and build your own bed nowadays?! For the latter, how do you begin to figure out which materials to use? I’ve been looking at TMU and Beducation and other educational resources, but now I’m totally overwhelmed.

Hi Lisacat and thanks for the inquiry!

Yes, it’s likely that a latex topper will help, but whether or not it matches your specific needs and preferences just isn’t a question I (nor you) can answer in advance. You will only know if it works for you by getting it in your home and actually sleeping on it.

We normally recommend soft Talalay for folks under 200 pounds that sleep on their side or back, so that’s probably the best choice for you. Please keep the following in mind when choosing a thickness for your topper: A 2" topper will make a noticeable difference but, depending on how much you want to change the feel of your mattress, may still leave something to be desired. The 3" topper will change the feel of your mattress the most, and if that’s the change that you’re looking for then this would be the best bet. The best way to summarize it would be to say that a 2" topper will make the mattress feel moderately softer and the 3" topper will make the mattress feel much softer.

Regarding the foundation, please keep in mind that latex foam is a naturally breathable, open celled product and a slatted foundation is not necessary for the mattress to sleep cool. A slatted foundation will enhance the breathability but certainly isn’t necessary because the mattress will breathe on all exposed sides. Additionally, I don’t normally recommend using metal bed frame unless the metal bars are flat, and the gaps between the bars are less than 3" apart. If you have it on rounded metal bars, they can dig into your mattress, decrease the back support, and cause the mattress to bread down sooner than normal.

I don’t have any specific answers to your last questions, except that you should be able to contact the mattress manufacturer and get the complete makeup of your mattress, so I’d give that a shot if you’re interested in getting that extra information. As it sits, though, my advice is definitely to get a 2" or 3" soft Talalay topper, and your choice between the two will just depend on how much of a change you want to make to the mattress. The 2" will make a moderate difference, and the 3" will make a bigger difference.