Need Help Choosing a Mattress

Hi All,

I am a 6’2 215lb male with shoulder pain after my tempur-pedic probreeze started sagging after 6 years. I have decided to go latex and have been looking at mattresses for a month and narrowed it down to these three:

Nest Bedding Finch
Sleepez Organic Latex Mattress
FloBeds vZone Mattress

Is nest bedding still a recommended brand? They are the only one, out of the three, I have tried (the owl version) and I like the feel of the pillow top. But there are hardly any reviews/discussion about the finch. I don’t want coils as I can feel them and they create pressure points.

I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one in fear of getting it wrong. Especially since I haven’t tried the last two. I have reached out to Flobeds and sleepez on recommended configs. Flobeds is the most expensive and the Nest I can get a really good discount on. I like the idea of the vZone, but Flobed’s queen is split down the middle and I plan to sleep in the middle, so I’m worried ill feel the line. I am in decision paralysis and need help.

@Sleep_EZ
@FloBeds
@NestBedding

1 Like

Sleepez is the best option in my opinion because of price. If you’re doing all latex it’s a simple construction of 3" layers. I just went on the website and used their personalized layer calculator and it said what my guess was, 3" medium talalay on top, 3" medlum Dunlop in the middle and 3" of firm dunlop on the bottom.

If you ever wanted to add a plush top layer you could put 2" of super soft blended latex in a topper cover from mattresses.net on the top has a topper.

I have a little higher bmi than you at 5’11" 220lbs and a top layer of medium dunlop was a little too firm and responsive, but talalay is higher quality and less cakey, and sleepez seems to have a little thicker cover than i was using which was just a thin top cotton stretch cover, so i think the recommended build would feel perfect. And using a topper is always an option. A couple inches of super soft latex can feel amazing. That’s specifically if you prefer a plush layer right before the mattress.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have a sleepez? They told me to do this config: “medium Talalay for your top layer, medium Dunlop for the second layer, firm Dunlop for your third layer and extra-firm Dunlop for the bottom layer.” Which sounds fine to me, but I dont know.

I did order samples from both flobeds and sleepez to see if I would like the covers, but I am leaning towards the finch since I liked the pillow top. If I go sleepez, I might do 13".

1 Like

Gotta say ive always liked those big diamond sewn pillow tops as well. I think youve got the right idea

Hey there ~ I read your message and just thought I’d comment in case this helps…
Since you mentioned shoulder pain, I wanted to share an amazing solution that worked for me. I’m basically telling everyone I know because I’m so happy with the results. I initially thought it was all about the mattress, but I ended up coming across a site that explained how sleeping on an incline addresses so many issues, but for me it was mostly about hip and shoulder pain. After spending hours clicking on different links and reading articles, I found a site called Incline Sleep that had so much information specifically on the benefits of this concept. It was kind of crazy because I hadn’t ever hear of this but it’s been around for literally thousands of years! It surprised me how much that changed pressure on my shoulders,hips and overall comfort—it felt like I wasn’t fighting gravity in the same way, especially on my side. I already had a mattress I liked so I just got the 6" wedge that goes underneath your existing mattress. I’m not saying it replaces getting the right mattress (you still want the right latex configuration), but it ended up being one of those “I wish I had tried this sooner” things for me. It also felt more natural than stacking pillows or using a wedge, which always seemed to throw my alignment off. It almost feels like floating and I can’t imagine going back to sleeping on a flat surface. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

I too have hip and shoulder pain in addition to allergies. I put bed risers on the front of the bed but it really hasn’t helped much. I recently read about the wedge you purchased that you put under your mattress and am considering it. Did you consider an inclined bed frame (the type that raises the entire bed from the head of the bed, not the adjustable type that raises both the head and foot)? I’m trying get feedback from anyone who has used an incline bed frame. Thanks

1 Like

Hello zutozman ~ I actually originally purchased the 6" wedge because it was the most affordable option for me to try this concept. Now that I’ve learned so much about the benefits and experienced it myself my next step is definitely to upgrade to the InclineSleep 100 or 500 because it will give me more options and I’ll be able to “customize” exactly the incline degree that works best for me. The really cool thing is that they will discount the cost of the frame in the amount I spent on the wedge so in a way it’s been like a free trial run. I haven’t ordered it yet but that’s my plan. Let me know if you have any more questions. Tammy

1 Like

I tried the 6" and had to keep sliding myself back up the bed. Now most I would do is 4"

Tammy,

What was your experience using the 6 inch wedge? Did the wedge go across the entire width of the bed or just under where you slept? And most importantly is did it improve your sleep? If you get the incline bed please respond with your observations. Thanks

1 Like

Hi there ~ the wedge is the width of the mattress so you can get a twin, full, queen or king size. My experience has been amazing and I actually didn’t slide like Gc123 did. After I put the wedge under my mattress and stepped back, it did look pretty extreme but once I laid down and fell asleep I didn’t really notice the angle. I honestly did sleep much better and I think it’s because I wasn’t waking up during the night to re-adjust because my shoulder or hip was feeling pressure and getting uncomfortable. If you’re interested, I actually starting writing a little journal of my experience on this site. You could check that out and I’m happy to answer any questions you might have :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just want to note that while I said I did slide down, I also did experience the benefits of it and I think it’s worth it for anyone to try. It doesn’t feel like it’s at much of an incline when you actually lay down. Id probably do 4" instead In the future