Need Help choosing - Stearns & Foster mattress

Hey everyone,

We have been using a dreamfoam latex/foam mattress for 6 years and it’s time for a replacement.

My wife and I liked 2 models:

1. Stearns & Foster Hurston with pillow top, firm

and

1. Stearns & Foster Rockwell, Luxury firm

Both models feel very similar but my wife thinks she prefers the Hurston with pillow top.

We placed an order at Raymour & Flanigan but didn’t pick a delivery date yet.

Is there any advantage of one model over another in terms of durability?

I read some negative reviews of Stearns & Foster mattresses sagging after a few months.

(We use plywood sheets on bed frame for extra support and to prolong durability of the mattress).

Thanks for your input !

Hi matrix11229.

Good to hear from you again. It’s been a while!

It’s great that you were able to get out and do some testing to help narrow down your options.

I know it’s been about 6 years since you’ve been on the forum, but the best way to compare these models in terms of durability would first be to identify the layer specifications of each mattress and cross-reference those with our Mattress Durability Guidelines here. It would also be useful to read this article regarding mattress specifications you need to know to effectively make that evaluation.

Additionally, It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here).

Negative mattress reviews are often censored or hard to find, which makes them especially useful when you do find them. In this case, the number of reviews discussing sagging point to a larger issue with the quality of the components in these mattresses. They are using foams that breakdown quickly over time, and sagging can’t be easily remedied once it starts. That is an important red flag.

If you haven’t finalized your purchase yet and are considering exploring other mattresses, then the first place to start your research with regards to choosing your best mattress match in terms of comfort, support, and durability is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Looking forward to any updates or additional questions you may have!

Phoenix