Need help finding the right mattress for heavy person

Oh yeah I pulled the trigger on the Brooklyn Bedding medium queen already, I just got my email notification that it shipped today via FedEx and Iā€™m waiting for the tracking number to do its first update so I can get the delivery estimate.

I also ordered the Luna mattress protector, Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, and Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper.

I am hoping between those two pillows and the free one from Brooklyn Bedding I will find one that works for me.

Hi 901-Memphis,

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive everything and have had the chance to sleep on them for a bit.

Phoenix

I will certainly be able to provide feedback, hopefully some if it useful.

I do have a crazy question for you though, Do you know of any way to get my old mattress properly disposed of? I live in an apartment and weā€™re not allowed to dump large items because we have a trash compactor with a small opening.

I am thinking of putting up a Craigslist ad and paying someone to remove it, not sure what the going rate is for that and I donā€™t want someone to illegally dump my mattress either.

Hi 901-Memphis,

This topic has more information about disposing of an old mattress that should be helpful.

Phoenix

So my wife hates new mattress and after two nights on it sheā€™s refusing to sleep on it again. The mattress is very firm even for me which was surprising, Iā€™m guessing the Dunlap latex is to blame but thatā€™s neither here nor there as sheā€™s demanding we return it and wonā€™t sleep on it another night.

So I guess Iā€™m stuck with it for 30 days per the Brooklyn Bedding return policy, hopefully it goes wellā€¦

Now the other part, we went to snuggy mattress express in Florence KY per your recommendation but the owner said they no longer sale Jamison mattresses due to the previously owned family company selling to a foreign owner. He said he broke ties because he was worried about future warranty claims under the new owner.

We decided to try out some mattresses in person even though we canā€™t buy until we get our money back from the other products, I have some questions because they donā€™t list foam density but do have a cutaway and diagram showing mattress composition without the density listed.

Apparently based on the testing my wife prefers and extremely plush mattress, now I have to find a plush mattress thatā€™s durable enough for my weight.

Her favored mattress was the beauty rest recharge hybrid, are these the mattresses you said to avoid?

She also liked a Miralux IV pillow top which was much cheaper. Another brand I know nothing about.

Iā€™m thinking I might have to make a trip to Denver mattressā€¦ Sorry for the long winded post do you have any advice for my crazy situation?

Iā€™ll attach pictures of the two I tried but I think you probably already know what Iā€™m dealing with.

Hi 901-Memphis,

Iā€™m sorry to hear that your mattress didnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for (at least for your wife). Your mattress includes Talalay latex, Dunlop latex, and Polyfoam and all three of these materials come in a wide range of firmness levels so it would probably be more about the firmness of the layers and the mattress as a whole than about the specific type of material in your mattress.

I would keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of itā€™s ā€œfalse firmnessā€ and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so and I would tend to sleep on a new mattress for a minimum of 30 days or so if possible before deciding on whether to exchange or return it (or possibly add a topper if the mattress is too firm).

Jamison was sold to Solstice Sleep but it was the only line of mattresses they carry that I would consider as a ā€œpossibilityā€ so Iā€™ve removed them from the Cincinnati list.

Without knowing the information listed here (including foam density) itā€™s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress or the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ and if a retailer either canā€™t or wonā€™t provide you with all the information that you need to make an informed choice I would pass the mattress by because it would be much too risky a purchase.

Yes ā€¦ all the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you arenā€™t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

International Bedding went bankrupt and their assets were purchased by Corsicana which also arenā€™t generally transparent about the quality of the materials in their mattresses. Having said that ā€¦ the name of the manufacturer isnā€™t all that important anyway because outside of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you canā€™t see or ā€œfeelā€ and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so once again I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would deal with more transparent manufacturers or retailers so that you can avoid the frustration of testing mattresses and finding out that you like it and itā€™s a good match for you in terms of PPP only to find out that the information you need to identify any potential weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isnā€™t available and youā€™ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

Other than that ā€¦ I would just follow the steps in the tutorial one at a time.

Phoenix

Thatā€™s my biggest issue is Iā€™m still not sure which of the manufacturers in my area are transparent, I was hoping snuggy was but I found out they werenā€™t.

I am looking over the list of manufacturers my local Denver mattress sales and they sell some of the major brands you mentioned avoiding, do you see any here that stick out as good ones? Iā€™m hoping they list materials so I donā€™t have to look at brands.

Brands

Your Denver Mattress offers an unmatched selection of quality brands at unbeatable value. Your store is proud to sell product from brands you can trust to give you the most in style, selection, and value.

Denver Mattress
Beautyrest
Serta
Green Choice
Tempur-Pedic
Sealy
Stearns & Foster

Iā€™m guessing their own brand is the one Iā€™m going to be interested in.

I guess the only way to know is by going in the store and asking

Hi 901-Memphis,

If a manufacturer is willing and able to provide the information here about the materials and components inside their mattresses then they are what I would call transparent but checking their websites (which most often donā€™t list the specs you need to know) or better yet making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists that you are planning to visit is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway (this is step 3 in the tutorial). This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

At Denver Mattress I would focus on the mattresses that they manufacture themselves because these are the ones where you will be able to find out the quality specs you need to know and I would ignore all the other major brands and the Green Choice mattresses that they also carry.

Phoenix

I was actually thinking about trying the Brooklyn Bedding soft, but I canā€™t seem to see what the difference is in the materials that makes it any different, do you know Phoenix?

Iā€™m thinking a man of my size will sink into the soft version but it looks like I might not have a choice

Hi 901-Memphis,

Iā€™m assuming that you are asking about what makes the soft version of the BME different from the medium?

If this is the case then they both use the same thickness and type of materials in each layer but the soft uses softer comfort layers than the medium.

Yes ā€¦ you (or anyone) will sink into softer layers more deeply than you would with firmer versions of the same material.

Phoenix

We went to the Denver mattress in Florence KY today and they seem to be very knowledgeable, helpful and transparent. They list density of foam and materials used including coil gauge and everything I think we need to know.

I will attach the photo of the set we liked the most. Itā€™s $1459 for mattress with ā€œbox springā€ and also includes two pillows, frame and mattress protector

Okay i had to attach it through tinypic i couldnā€™t get it to upload right for some reason directly

Quilter Layers - Stretch Ticking, 1.5" 1.8 lb Convoluted Ef Foam

Comfort Layers - 2" 5lb Antibacterial body conforming Ef Memory Foam, 1.25" 1.8lb convoluted Ef Foam, 1 Flex net insulator

Support System - 567 pocket coils in 15 gauge steel (queen size)

Hi 901-Memphis,

The Richmond Euro Top would certainly be worth considering for someone that was in more average weight ranges but it would be a much less suitable choice for someone that is in a higher weight range such as yours.

The 5 lb memory foam is a high quality and durable material but there is 3 3/4" of 1.8 lb polyfoam in the top 6" of the mattress which is a lower density and less durable material than I would generally suggest in your weight range (I would look for 2 lb density polyfoam or higher) and 2 3/4" of the foam layers are also convoluted and convoluted foam layers are also less durable than solid layers of the same material (see post #2 here).

In terms of durability this would be a risky choice for someone in your weight range.

Phoenix

PS: [quote]
Okay i had to attach it through tinypic i couldnā€™t get it to upload right for some reason directly
[/quote]

Thatā€™s probably because it was larger than the maximum image size that can be attached to a post which is 800 x 800 pixels (see the help page here). If you try to attach a larger image without resizing it it first then you will get a ā€œ500 errorā€.

That stinks I didnā€™t see anything in my price range meeting all of the minimum durability criteria, that was the closest one and already stretches the budget

We tried to break in the mattress by walking on it and it has made a minor difference but still seems overly firm even for me. I know we still need more time to adjust but I am already starting to think about whatā€™s gonna happen if nothing changes.

We will definitely now be making a size change, and going to a king size bed. Do you have any insight on this Zinus frame/foundation?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W4DCK18/

I am trying to convince my wife to get a new frame off Amazon or similar and switching to the BME soft king, yet she is still upset about the medium and fears the soft will be too firm as wellā€¦

Either way do you think if we got that route the Zinus is acceptable for durability or maybe you know of something else from another site? I would gladly spend more on a frame if I could convince my wife to avoid overpaying at for the Richmond Eurotop king at Denver mattressā€¦which is whatā€™s probably going to end up happening since she wants to try it before she buys.

Hi 901-Memphis,

Based on ā€œaveragesā€ ā€¦ a medium firmness range will generally be inside the largest percentage of the bell curve that would be suitable for most people and with your weight range a softer choice could be more risky but of course not everyone fits inside the ā€œaveragesā€ that would work well for most people which is the reason that a good trial period can be an important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of an online purchase.

The break in and adjustment period will vary with different people and different mattresses (higher quality and more durable materials can take longer to break in) and it can also depend on what you are used to sleeping on but for most people it would be somewhere in the range of about a month or less although for some it will be much shorter (some people sleep well on a new mattress right away or after just a few days) and for others it can sometimes take several months.

Are you experiencing any actual ā€œsymptomsā€ when you sleep on your mattress or is it just a matter of preferences and more subjective ā€œcomfortā€ issues?

[quote]We will definitely now be making a size change, and going to a king size bed. Do you have any insight on this Zinus frame/foundation?

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W4DCK18/[/quote]

Any mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (bedframe and foundation or platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

I donā€™t have any specific knowledge about or personal experience with the Zinus platform bedframe so I canā€™t speak to how strong it is. The slats appear to be 3" apart (according to the questions and answers) but I would make sure that the slats are rigid and wonā€™t easily bend or break under your weights and the weight of the mattress (many lower cost bedframes and foundations use slats that are thinner or use lower quality and weaker wood which can bend or break too easily).

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

I actually feel like I may have less back pain on the mattress and yes some of it may be personal preference but there seems to be too much pressure around my abdomen when sleeping in some positions.

Either way I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had enough time to tell or pay enough attention to it to know for sure.

Hi 901-Memphis,

If your back pain is improved or if you are spending time sleeping on your stomach I would be very cautious about choosing a softer mattress. I would keep in mind that spinal alignment (most important) and pressure relief (second most important) and any actual ā€œsymptomsā€ (or lack of symptoms) you experience over the course of the night or when you wake up in the morning are the most important factor in how well you sleep and your bodyā€™s ability to rest and recover.

Phoenix

After 30 days on the mattress my wife still hated it. We returned the Brooklyn Bedding medium queen mattress yesterday and ordered the Brooklyn Bedding soft in a king. Also ordered the Brooklyn Bedding simple life foundation and a Knickerbocker monster bed frame. Hopefully itā€™s soft enough for my wife because I can sleep anywhere.

The return process was okay just waiting for the refund to actually show up.

Hi 901-Memphis,

Thanks for the update.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out how you like the soft version instead once youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix