NEED HELP!! In search for a mattress

Hello,

I’m fairly new to this forum and am in need of help, please bare with me. Where can I find some certified Oeko-Tex mattresses? I’m real sensitive to the chemicals that are in commercial mattresses, which is why I’m looking for a all organic one. I have a lower back pain problem as well, so what would you recommend? Latex? Memory foam? Thank you for your time!

Hi LGD,

Oeko-Tex is a certification for the materials in a mattress … not the mattress itself.

It’s more commonly seen with latex (polyfoam and memory foam more commonly has a CertiPur certification although there are a few polyfoam and memory foam manufacturers … mostly in Europe … that are Oeko-Tex certified). Almost all the latex you are likely to encounter in North America (Talalay or Dunlop and synthetic, blended, or 100% natural) will likely be Oeko-Tex certified.

Organic latex is a little more difficult to find but this is not a safety certification and is more about the way the latex is grown or processed. It’s more common to find organic fabrics or natural fibers in a mattress. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here).

When you have lower back pain it would be even more important to make sure you have good spinal alignment on a mattress in all your sleeping positions and that your mattress isn’t too firm or too soft but each person is unique. Your own careful and objective testing and experience is the best way to know which mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

In case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Sounds good. Thank you for the information!

On a side note, I’ve been looking and searching these forums and I just wanted to say that I am amazed at the service you provide. Fast, efficient, informational, and honest. Not only to me, but to others in these forums.

I just wanted to say thank you and will be donating to you.

Hi LGD,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

This is as much a hobby that I enjoy as it is a major project for me and I’m glad when it’s able to help people sort their way through what can otherwise be a very confusing and complicated subject.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

What do you think about Nature Pedic? I’m looking into it. My mind is going nuts with all the information from reading on the forums lol. Also, what kind of bed do you have?

Hi LGD,

Naturepedic is a smaller manufacturer that uses good quality materials in their mattresses. They are also one of the few manufacturers in the US whose factory is organic certified as well.

Having said that … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the manufacturer and Naturepedic tends to be in a more premium price range than other manufacturers that make similar mattresses that use the same or very similar materials so I would make some careful value comparisons if you are considering them.

You can see the details in post #4 here :slight_smile:

Phoenix