Need Help...memory foam

Wife & I are looking for a new mattress. We are both side sleepers. We were looking at bed in a box & amerisleep liberty. We live in charleston sc and haven’t been to any stores to test. I have some lower back & shoulder pain from playing baseball in college. We are looking for a king size that will last and good value. Thanks for any help.

Hi Moc cock 8,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

You can read more of my thoughts about BedinaBox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any memory foam mattress that didn’t meet the minimum guidelines listed in post #10 here.

You can also see some of my thoughts about Amerisleep at the end of both post #4 here and post #4 here and a forum search on Amerisleep (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well.

There is also a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of in the tutorial post. Neither one you mentioned would be among my first choices.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Charleston, SC area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help Phoenix. I may be more confused than ever lol. Guess we need to go try out a bunch.

Hi Moc cock 8,

Following the steps in the tutorial post one by one is the best way I know of to make the best possible and most suitable choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix what is your opinion on latex vs memory foam? Starting to understand what I need to look for. Just want best option for us. Thanks.

Hi Moc cock 8,

I would treat the choice between them as strictly a preference issue and some people prefer one type of foam over the other. You can read more about the differences between them in post #2 here. Your own testing on each type of foam will give you a much clearer idea of which one you tend to prefer.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix. Just trying to educate myself enough to make the best decision.

Phoenix, I need help again. Wife & I went to test out mattresses today to see what we liked best as far as feel and such. We have basically decided that we both like the tempurpedic cloud luxe breeze the best, I also liked the cloud supreme breeze. We like the breeze technology because of how much cooler it felt. Now my question is out of the local retailers you listed I don’t believe they offer us a similar mattress. I have been looking at the online retailers and am intrigued by restava. In your opinion what would be our best online options for a mattress like the cloud luxe breeze? I appreciate all of the help.

Hi Moc Cock 8,

You can read a little more about the different ways of “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here.

When you are looking for a mattress locally I would “measure” each mattress against a common set of criteria based on your testing rather than using a specific mattress as your “target” (see post #46 here). The only way to really know whether one mattress is a good “match” for another one (or your own specific criteria) is with your own personal testing and experience.

I would call each of the options listed on the list and tell them about your experiences and ask them if they have any memory foam mattresses that they believe would be somewhat comparable to what you like so you can test them and see how close they are for you.

I would also be a little cautious about how “cool” a gel memory foam mattress feels because how cool it feels to the touch may have little to do with how cool it sleeps over the course of the night. You can read a little more about the different types of gel materials and their effect on sleeping temperature in post #9 here and there is also more about the many factors that combine together to regulate sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

The tutorial post also has a link to several of the better online manufacturers and retailers that sell memory foam mattresses and many of these use widely available mattresses (including Tempurpedic and in many cases specifically the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe) as a reference point for their design and “feel”. Some of these also have very good return policies as a “backup” in case your experience indicates that the mattress isn’t as good a “match” for you in terms of PPP as you hoped.

Phoenix

Out of the restava, select foam & brooklyn bedding that all claim to have a similar mattress to the tempurpedic cloud luxe which would be the better option in your opinion?

Hi Moc cock 8,

I’m happy to help you narrow down your options and so that all your final choices are between “good and good” in terms of quality and value and to help you with “how” to make final choices (see post #2 here) but the specifics of “what” to choose when you are down to final choices depends on which one is the best match for your personal value equation, your own individual preferences, and all the objective, subjective, and intangible criteria that are most important to you.

All of the options you are considering are very good ones IMO.

Phoenix

I had a feeling that was coming. :evil: Have you heard anything about the comparison between what I’m looking at? I’m sure i can’t go wrong with any of the 3. As long as i did my proper research.

Hi Moc cock 8,

I would certainly agree with this.

The previous post I linked about the different ways to match a mattress would give you some reference points to help you compare or discuss the Restava Ivory Gel, the Select Foam Cirrus Luxe, and the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe and PureCool Luxe with each manufacturer. All of them are approximations of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe.

For reference … the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe layering is …

2.75 inch of extra-soft TEMPUR-ES™ material (4.1 lbs)
2 inch of highly-conforming TEMPUR-HD® material (7.1 lbs)
8.25 inch Dual AirFlow System (this is polyfoam but they don’t provide the quality/density. It used to be 2.2 lbs but there are some indications that they have changed it to the 1.5 lb range recently)

Phoenix

I really appreciate it. I will report back when I decide and try out my new mattress.