Need help with coil mattress

Hi everyone!

I been lurking for the last few weeks and reading up on the discussion and finally made an account.

I need some help.

I am looking for a mattress (queen or king) with coils below 13gauge. It will have to be very sturdy and support 600lbs+ combined weight.

My biggest issue is that I am having hard time searching for coil count on mattress sites. I also realize that coil count is not everything but I figured it’s very important. I was hoping someone could recommend some specific models/sites where I can look at it.

Other important things for me is very sturdy top… in past, on cheaper mattresses, top would literary have 1" holes after 3-5 years with coils exposed. I tried different mattress protectors and few foam toppers, but it didn’t work.

My budget is to stay below $1500. I have foundation/frame taken care of it already. We prefer medium firmness.

Hi CoilQueen,

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and as you can see … coil counting can be more misleading than helpful. The knowledge and experience of the retailer or manufacturer you buy from can be one of the most important parts of successful mattress purchase (especially when you are "outside the averages) and would be much more important than the number of coils in any particular mattress.

There are also some general suggestions in post #3 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

Unfortunately nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to make specific suggestions for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you let me know your city or zip code though I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi

Thank you for a quick reply.

I already gave those a read before, but i am hoping to get a starting point by asking for few of your/other favorites coil mattresses.
I am sure many of these topics have comeup before, so I hoping you have few specific models that you can recommend to me as a starting point

Thank you

CQ

Hi CoilQueen,

I don’t make specific suggestions about “what” to choose … only suggestions about “how” to make the best choice for you for the reasons that are in the previous posts I linked.

The “best” starting point would be to research the local retailers or manufacturers that are available in your area and deciding which ones you are most comfortable dealing with rather than trying to research or choose a mattress based on specs.

My “favorite” would be based on my own testing and personal experience and my own specific criteria and would likely be very different from someone else and it’s not likely that I would have any personal experience with any of the mattresses that may be available to you or that you may wish to consider as one of your options so I certainly wouldn’t be the best source of guidance outside of helping to identify any weak links in the design or materials in a mattress you may be considering or of course answering any specific questions you may have about a mattress or a material to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Phoenix

Hi

I am just asking for generic quality model, since quality is likely not based on personal preference and you would be the expert.
I am not saying that I will blindly buy what you recommend but it will give me a good starting point.

Can you please make an exception and help me out with a starting models to look at?

thanks

CQ

Hi CoilQueen,

I can help with “how” to choose and with retailers or manufacturers that I would consider but not with “what” to choose.

There would be no point making an exception when I would only be providing you with advice that was mostly meaningless (like most of the “advice” in the mainstream industry) about a mattress that I have no personal experience with.

If I knew how to do what you were asking I would be happy to … but unfortunately you are asking for something that’s not possible for me or anyone else to do that doesn’t either make or sell a specific mattress you are considering and even then their advice or guidance would be limited to the mattresses they were personally familiar with.

Researching “who” to buy from and which retailers or manufacturers you wish to include in your research (either locally or online) is step 3 in the tutorial and comes before steps 4 and 5 which is about deciding “what” to buy.

Phoenix