Need Mattress Topper Advice - For Phoenix

Hi udoknowjac,

I did talk to Rocky Mountain Mattress (they called me back) and they were surprised that you (or any of their customers) hadn’t received a call back and they said they would talk to their customer service staff to find out what may be happening. It’s certainly not the norm for them.

Memory foam is a warmer and more insulating material that stores heat more than other faster responding types of foam but if I was looking to lower the sleeping temperature then I would first look at the parts of your sleeping system that were closest to your body. With a topper this would include the topper cover, the mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding. Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover and it’s also under the topper and deeper inside your sleeping system so that isn’t something that I would consider changing.

If you are considering a topper cover (not a mattress cover) I would probably go with a knit cover made from either cotton or a viscose type of material such as a bamboo blend which are breathable and does a good job wicking moisture. It wouldn’t have to be waterproof because you would also have a mattress protector.

For your mattress protector I would consider either a stretch cotton or even better a wool/cotton protector which is more water resistant and where the wool can provide better temperature regulation even though it may have a little more effect on your mattress. I would use the protector over the mattress and the topper.

There is more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here but I would probably look at natural or “semi synthetic” fabrics here as well which includes cotton, viscose (again such as bamboo, tencel etc), or linen (which would probably be the coolest of the natural fibers but they are also much more costly).

These would probably be the most effective changes with the memory foam materials you are currently using and hopefully they will make “enough” difference that you can sleep a little cooler.

These are mattress covers … not topper covers. I don’t know if they sell topper covers but I would certainly call and ask.

I’m not familiar with them no or how stretchy they are but the bamboo would probably be a little cooler (more breathable and moisture wicking) than the cotton.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick response. I am still a little confused, could you please review the questions below?

Do you have any suggestions on sites where I could find this type of topper cover?

[quote]For your mattress protector I would consider either a stretch cotton or even better a wool/cotton protector which is more water resistant and where the wool can provide better temperature regulation even though it may have a little more effect on your mattress. I would use the protector over the mattress and the topper.
[/quote]

Sorry I am a little confused on the above, You said “Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover and it’s also under the topper and deeper inside your sleeping system so that isn’t something that I would consider changing.” But here you mention a mattress protector. Are you suggesting a mattress protector on top of the quilted cover already on the Temperpedic? If so, would the additional mattress protector make a big difference on the temperature because as you mentioned it is “deeper inside your sleeping system”?

Also, are you suggesting I purchase one mattress protector to cover both the temperpedic mattress and the mattress topper instead of a Topper Cover alone? Would this be the best option?

Thank you for the help

Hi udoknowjac,

Based on their website it appears that Sleep Warehouse sells Bamboo covers and there are also some other sources in the component post here (but you would need to check their websites or call them to make sure they sell topper covers that would fit your topper and not just mattress covers).

I’m also a little confused about why you are confused and we may be getting lost in different terminology. Sometimes the same word is used to describe different things. My reply in post #6 here covered most of this but I’ll add a few comments here.

A mattress cover is the cover that is around your mattress and is part of the mattress itself. The top part of your mattress cover would be the fabric that your topper is sitting on so if you are using a topper then your mattress cover would be under the topper and further away from your body than the topper (and would have little effect on temperature). A topper cover would perform the same function as a mattress cover except it would enclose the topper and would be closer to your body than the mattress cover. A mattress protector is a product that is used over a mattress (or over a mattress/topper combination) that is used to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition and protect your mattress or the topper (including any cover around either one) from being stained from body fluids or accidents. It would be right underneath your sheets so it can have a more significant effect on sleeping temperature along with your sheets which is what you sleep on directly and are in the closest contact to your skin. Your Tempurpedic already has a mattress cover (the fabric around the mattress) so you don’t need another one.

The products we are discussing are 1.) a cover for your topper and 2.) a mattress protector and 3.) your sheets which are the materials that would be closest to your body. If you are using a topper with a cover and also a protector then from the top down (listed layer by layer and excluding your pyjamas or what you wear to bed which can also have an effect) you would be sleeping on your sheets, then your protector, then the top surface of the topper cover, then the topper material (memory foam) itself, then the bottom surface of the topper cover (which would have little effect because it’s under the topper memory foam material), then the mattress cover (which would also have little effect on sleeping temperature), and then the top layers of memory foam in your mattress (which may have some effect because they would affect the heat that is stored in your mattress and would also have some effect on how deeply you sink into the mattress and how insulating it is).

I’m not sure what you are referring to when you mentioned a “quilted cover” because the Symphony mattress had a smooth cover (you can see a picture here). Can you clarify what you are referring to and whether this is the cover that is part of the mattress itself? It’s possible that you have the Celebrity Bed or the Grandbed because both of them had a quilted cover around the mattress. Either way though … it wouldn’t make much difference if you are talking about the original cover around the mattress and not an additional component that we haven’t included in our discussions.

The “best” option would be the one that works best for you based on your actual sleeping experience and with a memory foam mattress there is no way for me to know for certain whether any option or combination of options will be “enough” for you in terms of temperature regulation. If you use a topper cover that is more breathable and moisture wicking and a mattress protector on top of that which is also more temperature regulating (such as one of the wool/cotton choices like the St Dormier mentioned in the mattress protector post here) and then you are using sheets that can also help with temperature regulation then that would be about the best you could do within the limitations of your memory foam mattress and topper unless you were considering much thicker options that would have a much bigger effect on the feel and performance of your sleeping system.

Phoenix

I thought my memory foam topper questions/issues had ended but I think I may have to return my current one. I am sorry to bother you again but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts

As a reminder, I ordered 3 inch 4 pound Aerus Memory Foam Topper from Sleep Warehouse to place on top of my Tempur-Pedic mattress.

1. This topper seems a little too firm. It is not bringing any relief to my pressure points. I am wondering if a 3# would be better for me if I stay with memory foam?

2. The “offgassing” smell is still very strong after two weeks. I have not had this issue previously with toppers. Usually the smell dissipates after a week at the most. I aired it out for a week but when I put it on my bed it started to make everything including my mattress smell horrible so I have taken it back off.

3. I mentioned previously I am going through chemotherapy. Since I have been diagnosed with Cancer I am very concerned about what I put near and on my body. Sleep Warehouse said they use Certi-Pur foam but the smell has made me question the chemicals used in this memory foam. Between the chemicals and the heat issue mentioned in other posts I am now trying to decide if latex would be a better option for me? I think memory foam is supposed to be better for pain relief but I read on one of your posts that latex can be found to do this as well.

I realize I have asked a lot of you but I would appreciate your input on my situation.

Thank you,
Jacalyn

Hi udoknowjac,

The firmness of memory foam can vary with temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is compressed. It can also be affected by what you use on top of it (any cover on the topper, your mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding) so it may be worth checking the conditions in your room and checking on the effect of your mattress protector and your sheets to see if this makes any difference before replacing it.

The density of memory foam is only loosely related to firmness (any density can be made in a range of firmness levels) but in very general terms lower density memory foam will often (but not always) be softer, respond more quickly (have a slower “memory”), be less sensitive to temperature, and be less durable than higher density memory foam (although with a topper that can be replaced durability may not be as important). The most effective way to find out the specifics of a particular topper you are considering would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with the supplier who can help you compare their memory foams to others that they are familiar with. Only your own experience can really know whether a specific mattress/topper combination will work for you so the return policy for a topper may also be one of the more important parts of a purchase when you may need some trial and error to find the topper that works best for you.

Aerus is made by FXI and is CertiPur certified. Some batches of memory foam seem to have a stronger smell that lasts longer than others. It would normally have dissipated by about two weeks but it can sometimes take longer. Some people are also be sensitive to the smell of memory foam (or any foam) even when it’s CertiPur certified. In very general terms … the smell of memory foam tends to affect a larger percentage of people than other types of foam followed by polyfoam followed by latex which generally affects the lowest percentage of people of all the foam types.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/find-a-foam-supplier/fxi-foamex-innovations/

Some people are sensitive to the smell or “ingredients” of memory foam (or any foam) more than others even when it’s CertiPur certified. In very general terms … memory foam tends to affect a larger percentage of people than other types of foam but out of the three main foam types people that are chemically sensitive will typically (but not always) tend to do better with latex followed by polyfoam followed by memory foam.

All the layers and components of a sleeping system (the mattress and the topper) will affect every other layer and the mattress as a whole in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and there is no one material or single layer that is better than another for “pain relief” because it depends on how every layer in the sleeping system interacts with every other layer and with you along with the underlying reason for your pain. Any combination of materials can work well for some people but not for others so I would tend to be cautious with information that talks about one specific type of material being “better” than another for pain relief when it depends on the specifics of the sleeping system and the person. There are many people that will tell you that for them latex in a suitable thickness and firmness level provides better pressure relief than anything else they have tried and for them it works better than memory foam while others will tell you that their experiences and preferences are the other way around.

It’s also possible that your mattress has developed “virtual impressions” which are soft spots that aren’t visible and are usually under the heavier areas of the body and if this is the case and your pain is from part of your body sinking in to the mattress too far and putting a joint or your back out of alignment then a topper generally won’t help because it will just “follow” the soft spot underneath it.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply. I am going to look over all the information but a quick question. Are high quality latex toppers made with less chemicals, more “natural” than Certi-Pur memory foam?

Thank you

Hi udoknowjac,

That would depend on the natural latex percentage of the latex topper. Latex that uses a higher percentage of natural rubber that comes from a tree (or that only uses natural rubber except for the chemicals used to foam and cure the latex) would certainly be more natural than polyfoam or memory foam. Some polyfoam and memory foam do use a small percentage of polyols that are plant oil derivatives to replace the petrochemical polyols but this is only used to replace a relatively small percentage of one of the two main chemicals used to make polyfoam and memory foam (see post #2 here). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Synthetic latex is made primarily from petrochemicals but it is a very safe material and all the latex you are likely to encounter would be certified for harmful chemicals and VOC’s either by Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or Eco-Institut which have a little more stringent testing protocol than Certi-Pur.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Certification according to OEKO-TEXÂŽ STANDARD 100 |Archived Footprint 2: eco-institut.de/en/product-testing/mattresses-bedding/

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I ended up returning my memory foam mattress topper and exchanged it for a 3" latex Medium-Soft 4.7lb 16-18 ILD. It has only been two nights but I think this one is better for me.

Now I want to finally order the mattress protector. As we previously discussed I will purchase a protector to go around my Tempurpedic mattress and the new latex topper. When I had the memory foam topper I planned to get the St Dormier protector. I am wondering with a latex topper if that would still be the best protector for me? Or would a stretch cotton be better such as the Suite Sleep or Cozy Pure? Previously you mentioned that the wool can provide better temperature regulation but may have more a little more effect on your mattress. Is that the same for a latex topper as well?

Since the latex is a bit firmer than the memory foam I think the most important factor now would be a proctor that has the least effect on the feel of the topper, than temperature regulation would come second. Can you please let me know if wool or cotton would be better for this?

Thank you

I

Hi udoknowjac,

There is more in post #89 here about the pros and cons and the tradeoffs involved in different types of mattress covers which would apply to any mattress. The Dormeir is thinner relative to other types of wool/cotton protectors (it has 4.5 oz/yd of wool) and would have less effect than a protector that was less stretchy or used thicker layers of wool (see this post for some recent feedback from one of the members here) but a knit cotton protector will be more stretchy yet and would have even less effect than the Dormeir (although of course it wouldn’t be water resistant).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I am looking for your advice once again.

I had a 3 inch 4 pound Aerus Memory Foam Topper from Sleep Warehouse which I placed on top of my Tempur-Pedic mattress. I found this to be too firm so in June I returned the Aerus Memory Foam Topper and replaced it 3" latex Medium-Soft 4.7lb 16-18 ILD topper. I have not truly enjoyed it much since ordering it, it has not been very comfortable or pain relieving. More importantly recently as my pain has increased the bed seems to be very uncomfortable. Since my chemotherapy ended my body pain has increased and I am trying to find a solution to make my bed more comfortable. Right now it seems very firm and I am not experiencing any relief from pressure point pain. I am going to look into a complete new bed but in the interim I want to buy a new topper.

The cause of my pain is unknown at this point but it might be fibromyalgia or inflammation from the chemo. Basically it is all over pain and my bed at the moment is the least comfortable place for me. I have been doing some research and I am wondering if a wool topper might be helpful? I could use it right on top of the temperpedic or on top of the latex topper I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

I also still sleep VERY warm and would I hear the wool can help with this?

I am also looking for something as chemical free/organic as possible. If you do think wool would be a good choice can let me know some trusted companies and what size/type might be best considering the layers of my bed?

Thank you,
Jacalyn

Hi Phoenix,

I am looking for your advice once again. As mentioned in this post previously I purchased a 3" latex Medium-Soft 4.7lb 16-18 ILD. in June whjch sits on top of my temperpedic bed. I am finding lately I am experiencing alot of pain and not very comfortable in my bed. My body pain has increased since my chemotherapy and I am trying to find a solution to make my bed more comfortable. I am going to look into a complete new bed but in the interim I want to buy a new topper.

The cause of my pain is unknown at this point but it might be fibromaygia or

Hi udoknowjac,

If the 100% natural Dunlop latex topper you purchased is 4.7 lb density then it would almost certainly be firmer than 16 - 18 ILD (it would more likely be in the mid/high 20’s) and given that Dunlop latex also feels firmer than Talalay in the same ILD range it’s not all that surprising that your topper is too firm for you. You can see some examples of approximate firmness levels and ILD’s for different densities of 100% natural Dunlop latex in post #2 here.

Unfortunately I can’t make any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best “match” for both you and the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). This would be particularly true when there are also more complex health issues involved. The specifics of the mattress under the topper can also make a significant difference in which topper will work best for any specific person since every layer and component in a mattress/topper combination will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the “sleeping system” as a whole.

Having said that … wool has an amazing ability to help maintain a more neutral sleeping temperature (it can regulate temperature in both directions) and the humidity and the overall microclimate of a sleeping surface. Wool is also often a favorite material for many people that are more sensitive to pain (such as many people with fibromyalgia) because it can provide a more “relaxed” sleeping surface and can help with surface tension or shear forces on the sleeping surface (see post #18 here). There is also some evidence that it can help people reach the deeper and more restorative levels of sleep.

A topper can also reduce the amount of heat that reaches any memory foam underneath it or at least slow down the time it takes to become softer with your body heat which may lead to a combination of some additional surface softness and a different “feel” from the wool topper combined with firmer feeling memory foam layers underneath it. If you do go in this direction and you haven’t tried a wool topper then any return/exchange policy may become a more important part of your purchase just in case it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for. While it may end up working well for you as it has for others (the only way to know this would be based on your actual experience) … you could also end up with a more temperature regulating sleeping surface that was still less pressure relieving than you hoped for.

There is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick reply. I am sad to hear the topper I have is so firm. I speak a lot of time talking with the salesman on the exchange and feel I was mis-informed since I was exchanging an item for being too firm. There is nothing I can do about it now except try to find something to bring me relief. The worst for me is the pressure points in my shoulders when sleeping on my side.

I understand you cannot make any specific suggestions but I hope you do not mind further questions. The more I read the more confused I become with all the options and great information! My desire is to find a combination which is soft/somewhat “sinkable” while comfortable to sleep but bringing the needed pressure relief. The firmness I have now does not do it at all and either did the 3 inch 4 pound Aerus Memory Foam Topper.

In one of the posts you mention “Wool is a great material that is a strong preference for some people and there are certainly some good benefits to sleeping on wool but I will echo diynaturalbedding’s comments that it will be different and firmer than sleeping on a soft foam material (and it will also get a little firmer as it compresses over time).”

I had decided against memory foam because of the chemicals involved, this is one of the reasons I switched to latex. In addition, the memory foam I had was not working for me . I realize Is there a “soft” talay latex which might bring pressure relief and be better than the wool? Do you have any information from your research/experience on which one might be better for people with Fibro? The information below makes it seem the wool might be perfect for me but I am just wondering how it might compare to a softer latex? Or even a latex on top of the firmer latex I currently have?

In another of the posts you mention a wool topper "would “soften” firm latex below it and it would “firm up” soft latex below it. In your case does this mean the wool topper would soften the firmer latex?

I really appreciate your help and I am sorry I keep asking so many questions. I am just hoping I might be able to make a better choice this time. I did a lot of research last time and now see I made a mistake

Thank you

Hi udoknowjac,

I’m always happy to answer any questions that I can but I can’t speak to how any combination of materials will “feel” for any specific person because there are too many variables in both people and combinations of materials to be able to predict this with any certainty.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress relative to your weight that you may be considering, act as a fact check, talk about the pros and cons of different materials, or answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, topper, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Unfortunately there is no “better choice” for someone with fibromyalgia because they aren’t a homogenous group of people with the same needs and preferences so a topper that would work best for one person with fibromyalgia may not work nearly as well at all for someone else with fibromyalgia or on top of a different mattress.

In very general terms … softer and more pressure relieving materials that provide a more “relaxed” sleeping surface will tend to work better than firmer materials because for most people with fibromyalgia a softer more pressure relieving sleeping surface is a more important priority.

Materials such as wool or other types of natural or synthetic fibers or fiberbeds, shredded latex, very soft latex, or softer memory foam are all materials that have worked well for some people with fibromyalgia but no specific material will work well for all people with fibromyalgia (and once again the specifics of the mattress under the topper will also make a significant difference in which topper will work best for you). When you have more complex medical conditions such as fibromyalgia that can be cyclical I would also keep in mind that there may be no “perfect choice” when it comes to a mattress.topper combination and a topper that works well for you some of the time may not work as well at other times or all of the time (this is true for everyone to some extent but would be a bigger issue for those that are more sensitive because of specific health challenges) so the most realistic goal is making the “best possible” choice that works “most of the time” rather than a “perfect” choice that works all of the time.

A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback from others that are in similar circumstances that may be helpful (but it will also confirm that there isn’t a single “best” combination of materials that will work for everyone with fibromyalgia).

This would depend on the specifics of the wool topper and how thick and firm it was relative to your latex topper (your latex topper may be in a softer range if the density information was listed incorrectly) and it can also depend on the person because different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well. A mattress or topper that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress or a topper as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions on how two sleeping systems (mattress/topper combinations) compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a topper in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their toppers and their properties, firmness, and "feel"and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses or toppers you have slept on and liked or other toppers you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific toppers to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other toppers or materials that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once again though … I would always keep in mind that even the best of other people’s suggestions will always be based on their “best efforts” and on what their experience indicates has worked well based on the “averages” of other people that are in similar circumstances but the “averages” of other people may not always apply to you.

I wish there was a way to predict how well a specific combination of materials would work for any specific person or set of circumstances or that there was some algorithm that could predict this but unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can predict which specific combination of materials you will like best or that you will sleep best on with any certainty based on specs or “theory at a distance” and I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims that they do. It just doesn’t exist.

Phoenix

Good Morning,

Thank you again for all of your help, I am very grateful. Instead of asking more questions I am hoping to be able to find someone close I can go and try some things out in person. If possible this would be better I think than online. I live in Orlando and I am trying to find a local retailer where I can go since I have had so many issues. I have seen the retailers listed on your site and I think the closest is in Holly Hill, unless you have any new ones?

In a google search I came across “Relax The Back” they claim to use organic materials and appear to have wool toppers as well as Dunlay/Talay Latex. Here is a link: https://www.relaxincomfort.com/products/certified-organic/savvy-rest.aspx

I would love any thoughts/information you might have on this retailer because they are very close to my home and as I begin to explore toppers and a new bed it would be great to use someone close.

I also found this place in Ocala FL: The Sleep Center:
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: thesleepcenter.biz/products.htm

Thank you!

Hi udoknowjac,

You’ve probably seen this already but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Orlando area are listed in post #2 here and the Ocala list is in post #2 here. I don’t know which of them carry toppers or the types of toppers they would carry so you would need to call and find out before visiting them.

[quote]In a google search I came across “Relax The Back” they claim to use organic materials and appear to have wool toppers as well as Dunlay/Talay Latex. Here is a link: https://www.relaxincomfort.com/products/certified-organic/savvy-rest.aspx

I would love any thoughts/information you might have on this retailer because they are very close to my home and as I begin to explore toppers and a new bed it would be great to use someone close.

I also found this place in Ocala FL: The Sleep Center: [/quote]

I added Relax in Comfort to both lists (thanks for the heads up). They carry Savvy Rest component latex mattresses and also seem to carry their Woolsey topper as well although they may also carry or have access to the other Savvy Rest toppers as well. They certainly use good quality materials and Savvy Rest dealers tend to be quite knowledgeable but they are also in higher budget ranges than other similar mattresses and toppers.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: thesleepcenter.biz/products.htm

They carry Pure Latex Bliss mattresses so it’s quite possible that they would also carry the PLB toppers as well which use very soft Talalay latex.

Phoenix

Thank you! I think I want to go ahead and look for a new bed (the topper is just an interim solution) and it seems from your post Relax in Comfort may be a great place to look. On your link the only other location close to me would be IKEA. The other retailers would be a bit of a drive which might be worth it but I am glad to know Relax in Comfort is a good place to start.

They seem to offer three types of beds: Unity, Serenity and Savvy Rest. I think the Serenity is Savvy Rest as well from what I am reading. Do you have links or any input on the Savvy Rest beds? I will go and meet with them but any knowledge before would be helpful.

Also, any thoughts or information on the Pure Latex Bliss?

Thank you!

Hi udoknowjac,

All three of the mattresses you mentioned are Savvy Rest component latex mattresses.

A forum search on Savvy Rest (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and feedback about them but the “short version” is that they use very high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their mattresses but they are also in a higher budget range than other similar mattresses so I would make sure that you make some careful value comparisons.

Pure Latex Bliss is owned by Talalay Global (previously Latex International) which manufactures Talalay latex and they also make some high quality toppers that use different types and blends of Talalay latex that are typically in very soft ILD ranges (as low as 14 - 15 ILD). A forum search on Pure Latex Bliss (you can also just click the link) will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

Thanks once again for all the information. I have been reading a lot of posts and there are many comparing Savvy Rest to Sleep EZ. It appears many people test out the Savvy Rest in the store and then purchase (for much cheaper) from Sleep Ez. Is Sleep Ez still a vendor you would recommend? Any advice for when I go to the Savvy Rest Store if I want to purchase from Sleep EZ instead?

Thank you!
Jacalyn

Hi udoknowjac,

Yes … SleepEZ is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved of making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for in post #2 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include SleepEZ) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with or layer combinations that you tried at Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

Phoenix