Need mattress topper help - soft vs medium

Hello, I’m hoping to get a recommendation on your toppers.

I have a mattress that is a very firm innerspring. I had wanted to purchase one with a euro pillow top, but unfortunately I’m living in Mexico and innersprings are out of style here. After searching far and wide all I could get was one mattress, no pillow top. It’s very firm

It’s 95% there for me, but as a stomach sleeper it’s a little bit too hard and I have some soreness on my rib cage and breasts. I also tend to alternate between back and stomach sleeping - and want to still be able to do both.

I would like to put a comfort layer on, but don’t want to lose the first support too much. I weigh 200 lbs, and much prefer the firmer support.

I definitely need to soften it slightly - but do not want to sink in, I prefer to sleep on top of my mattress not in it.

I’m thinking that medium would be the right firmness for me at my weight, does that sound correct?

Since I’m living in Mexico, doing any kind of return isn’t possible as I can’t get the mattress topper back across the border. So hoping to nail it on the first try (crossing fingers).

Thanks!

Hi bghouse and welcome back to the forums! A medium topper is exactly what we recommend, so I think that’s a great choice! It sounds like you would do best on a 2" medium topper, and now you just need to choose between Talalay and Dunlop. I normally recommend Talalay for toppers, but I’ve included some information below explaining the differences between the two.

There is a noticeable difference between Talalay and Dunlop, and it’s not really that Talalay is softer than Dunlop. Most people and companies say Talalay is softer just because that’s an easier way to explain it. You can actually have a soft Dunlop layer that’s softer or firmer than a soft Talalay and a medium Talalay that’s softer or firmer than a medium Dunlop, etc. The real difference comes down to how they react when being compressed. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so our most common configuration is Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers. We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop offers the best chance to be successful for the average person. Again, the best way I can summarize the differences would be to say that Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and Dunlop is better at maintaining proper spinal alignment and avoiding back pain. However, Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. Aside from that, women tend to be curvier, especially around their hips, and having a top layer of Talalay can help avoid hip pain and keep the mattress from pushing their hips up, which can also lead to back pain.

1 Like

Thank you! My mattress definitely provides the support at this point, and I like the springier type feel - so Talalay at 2" medium sounds perfect.

Presumably you’ve been sleeping on it for a few months, what are your thoughts?