Need recommendation for 5lbs Firm Memory foam King mattress

Hello we are in the market for a new mattress.
Currently I have the Spa Sensation 8" memory foam from Walmart i bought about 8 years ago. Its gotten really soft over the years. Although we never had problems with it, it was not my favorite mattress at that time. I loved the Temperpedic Rhapsody bed with the 7 or 8lbs top memory foam they offered at that time which we could not afford. I loved the way your body just melted into the foam but still pushed back for support. I understand they have changed but this is just to show the final product I’m going for. I am willing to buy separate components or but it as a whole.

1. What mattress today can replicate the feel of the Temperpedic Rhapsody bed? I know there isn’t an option to buy the 8lb memory foam layers but i figure the 5lbs would be better than what i have now.

Budget: looking for highest value product so will spend what i need to get what i want.

I have bought a Zinus (same as Spa Sensation?) 12" green tea from amazon a few days ago but waste of money and will just use it for guest room or kids. Too soft.

Any ideas?

Hi Var,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The mattress shopping tutorial (which is where I would start your research) includes this link to a thread that lists some of the better online memory foam providers that I’m aware of. Most of them are very familiar with the various Tempurpedic mattresses and would be able to tell you which of their mattresses are closest to a particular model in the Tempurpedic lineup and some of them sell a mattress that is specifically designed and listed on their sites as being closely comparable to the Rhapsody Luxe or the Rhapsody Breeze. Post #9 here and the posts it links to also has more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one which you can use as a reference in your conversations with them, and post #2 here also speak to three steps to help you match on mattress to another.

Some of the old Tempurpedic specifications are listed here. While older, there’s a bit more information about Tempurpedic mattresses and their layering in this post that you may find interesting.

The “old” Rhapsody used:
1.2" tempur HD in the top layer: 7.2lb/ft3
2.8" of Tempur support foam: 5.3lb/ft3
(2) 4" 1.8lb/ft3 density base layers with air crate tops
The “modern” Contour Elite Breeze does use 7 lb and 5.4 lb memory foam in a similar configuration to the old Rhapsody.

Off the top of my head … Novosbed (in their medium firmness level), Rocky Mountain Mattress, Tempflow, Foamorder, and Christeli all make at least one or more mattresses that use 5 lb or higher memory foam but you would need to check their websites or talk to them to find out how they compared to any of the Tempurpedic mattresses.

The component post here has some sources for memory foam components. In addition to the online members of the site listed in the previous membership link … post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress. I don’t keep a listing of all of the current offerings of the densities of memory foam being offered by manufacturers listed here on the site, as it would simply be too large of a task for any one person to accurately accomplish in a market that is constantly changing.

Hopefully that gives you a good start.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,
When you say “old” Rhapsody for those specs, how far back does that go? My wife and I have a 2012 Rhapsody that we love (loved it then, still love it now.) We are looking at getting as close to that mattress as we can for a vacation home. It would be great if I could use those specs to kind of give us a starting place.

rdhancock,

The Jordan’s Furniture web site has specs of some of the current Tempurpedic models. The specs you reference were from back in 2013. But realize that Tempurpedic is constantly changing the formulation and type of their memory foam as well, so be sure to try anything out in a showroom if you’re considering getting another Tempurpedic in the new line. Also, Tempurpedic is introducing a new line very soon, so maybe there will be some “closeouts” on the old line.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation /Mattress To Go

[quote=“Phoenix” post=72204]
Off the top of my head … Novosbed (in their medium firmness level), Rocky Mountain Mattress, Tempflow, Foamorder, and Christeli all make at least one or more mattresses that use 5 lb or higher memory foam but you would need to check their websites or talk to them to find out how they compared to any of the Tempurpedic mattresses.
Phoenix[/quote]
I spoke with Novosbed on the phone yesterday and was informed that they have adjusted their specs, as follows:

Firm Mattress
3" 2.5 lb memory foam
1" 4 lb memory foam
7" 1.75 lb poly foam

Medium Mattress
1" 1.95 lb premium airflow foam
1" 4 lb memory foam
2" 4 lb memory foam
7" 1.75 lb poly foam

In addition, Foamoarder stated they have switched from 5.3 lb foam to 4.5 lb foam in all versions of their foam mattress. Both Foamorder and Novsobed have yet to reflect these changes on their website, so I wanted to make sure the word was out in case prospective buyers choose to order directly from the company websites without first consulting a rep from the companies to confirm densities.

The list of 5 lb memory foam mattress producers in the value range seems to be getting shorter. I am awaiting details about current specs from Christeli and am hoping all is good so I can lock one down in the next few days. Christeli recently informed me that they no longer disclose their density specs but a sales rep is doing her best to try and get the info for me. Fingers crossed! Most of the remaining 5 lb+ companies have somewhat stricter return policies (Tempflow, OMF).