Need some help in Richmond VA / Allassea mattress

Hello: I have been to some of the chain mattress stores in Richmond VA and have tested alot of stuff out. I definitely want memory foam but do not want to spend the high price for Tempur pedic. I have been on a Therapedic for the last 8 years and it now has a hump in the middle. I was almost set on the Kingsdown Sleeping Beauty at Sleepys but decided against it based on the price.and finding this wonderful informational website telling the tricks of the trade and getting what you pay for. A friend referred me to a local small business named Decor and I tried out the Allassea mattress both 14" and 12" and they were very comfortable with the twelve being softer. I have scoured the internet for more information and/ or reviews for this mattress brand and cannot find anything about it. With that being said here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have more information or own an Allassea that could give me some good insight. I got a great catalog but I really wanted a review or two.
  2. Is it better to put a mem foam mattress on a platform bed or on the made foundation, or does it matter?
  3. Are there any recommendations for other local owned stores that I should be visiting or particular product line that I should also be trying.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Hi packmanva,

Allassea is a trademark for Bernards which imports furniture and mattresses (most likely from China).

With any mattress you can assess the quality of the materials using the guidelines here and I would make sure that all the memory foam or polyfoam in the mattress were good quality materials for the budget range.

They have a CertiPur logo on their site but they aren’t listed on the CertiPUR list here * so I would also question them about their certification. I would also read post #6 here about foam mattresses that are shipped from Asia or China.

ADMIN NOTE: * Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/.
** Please check the newest CertiPUR list here)

I would also be very cautious about using reviews as part of any mattress choice (see post #13 here) because a mattress that works well for one person (or even many people) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on and the large majority of reviewers know little to nothing about the quality of the materials inside the mattress they purchase.

Outside of making sure a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is the quality of the construction and materials inside it and it’s always important to make sure you know the type and quality of all the materials so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your help and information. I have sent an email to Bernards sales people to see if they could provide me with the density information on the layers as well as the certi-pur designation. I know you are an extremely busy person but I attached a pic of the particular mattress that I laid on for you to look at. I assume just based on the picture that no real information is given about layer quality. Although they do cover each inch as far as what it is.

Do you know of other sleeps shops in my area or that have caught your attention as being “above board” that I should go visit. All of this information starts to jumble after a while. I just never realized the amount of bad information and sales tactics invoived in trying to simply purchase a new mattress.

thanks again

Hi packmanva,

Unfortunately … their information doesn’t include the most important information which is the density of the memory foam and the polyfoam layers.

Sorry … I should have included this in my first reply.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Richmond area are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the link to the post. If and when I get a response back from Bernards I will see how favorable or non favorable they are.

Hi packmanva,

I’m looking forward to their reply … assuming of course that they provide the information that you asked for :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Check out the website for The Mattress Secret - they have a lot of good information on the Allassea mattress. The supplier is in Canada, not China. You can also check out Allassea website also. I haven;t bought one yet but I am planning to do so soon… In doing my research - it seems to be one of the top ICE Foam mattresses out there and tend to believe what I’ve read and who I have discussed it with. You can find testimonials on one of these websites!

Hi hunnylee1010,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just hunnylee1010 (or any username you wish).

Your post is on the edge of advertising which isn’t allowed on the forum and I’m not sure if you are connected to Allasea or if you just have some reason for wanting to promote the Allassea mattresses or Mattress Secret.

As you can read earlier in this topic Allassea is a trademark for Bernards which is based in North Carolina and is an importer. Allassea itself is based in Georgia.

As you can also see here … the Allassea mattresses are made in China.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress before making any purchase.

Allassea doesn’t provide any meaningful information about the quality and durability of their materials on their site (although they do provide a lot of “marketing” information that is mostly meaningless) and unless a manufacturer is willing and able to provide the information you need about the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress to make an informed choice I would pass the mattress by (see the guidelines here).

If you are genuinely a consumer that is looking for a mattress I would be very cautious about the Allassea mattresses and IMO you are looking at a very risky choice.

Phoenix