Need some Memory foam or Soft latex advice...Stuck on what to do next

Hi All,

I am new to this forum/site but have been reading through many of Phoenix’s post and have used his advice along with other resources to narrow my choices but at last I am stuck, ironically enough it was something I read in a reply by Phoenix that got me stuck.

Background: I currently have an old Full pillow top spring mattress, in the last 2-3 weeks it has taken a turn for the worst and now i have shoulder pain and other aches. I also toss and turn a lot lately. I am forced to make a decision quickly but I have been doing nonstop research and have spent considerable time in a few mattress stores in the last week and a half.

My height: 5’ 6"
Weight 230 (Currently on the heavier side of my weight fluctuations, I tend to stay around 190-200
Side and Back sleeper (more side than back)

My wife is 5’4"
Weight -Usually between 140-150
Side sleeper

Our mattress search originally lead us to the TempurPedic Cloud Supreme and I was prepared to pay the 3000+ that it was going to cost me but I decided to do some research first and it lead to to find alternatives that I like better than the TempurPedic. We seemed to like mattresses on the Plush side but not too plush, we tried the TP Cloud Luxe and sank to much into it. The TP Cloud Supreme gave a nice enveloping feeling without being too much into the mattress, I guess we like sleeping “In” the mattress just not all the way. My favorite from local businesses are listed below. I enjoyed the Keetsa Supreme over the TP

Keetsa - Local shop in NYC, was able to try a few of their mattresses and one I liked be
Tea Leaf Dream - Keetsa Soft Plush Hybrid Mattress | Dream®, Memory Foam Mattress – KEETSA
Tea Leaf Supreme - Keetsa Soft Memory Foam Mattress | Tea Leaf Supreme® – KEETSA

Now this leads me to my conundrum, after doing extensive research online and on this site, I like what Latex has to offer and was really considering the Aloe Alexis by Brooklyn Bedding, Selectfoam, or a full latex by sleepez.

My concerns are that if I go memory foam I will be losing out on the longevity of latex and everything else it has to offer. Phoenix said in a post that even the softest latex will not compare to memory foam, but since I do not want the plushest MF, can i get a soft latex and still get that feeling I got with the TP. Also, what are the trade offs when going with a hybrid like the Aloe Alexis vs a full latex mattress, I am a tech guy and i love how modular the Aloe is with the ability to change the layers.

I do plan on calling BB and possibly the other online retailers but was looking for a bit of direction.

Has anyone else had this challenge?

P.S. I have tried searching for stores in NYC that have Latex mattresses and have only been able to find those on the firmer side of the equation.

Thanks for any help.

-Wil

Hi Wmorales,

I would suggest that PPP is the most important part of a mattress choice. I would consider this to be more important than durability because while latex may be the “gold standard” for durability … any type of material has more or less durable versions. No matter how long a mattress may last … it needs to be a good match for you in terms of PPP and like any other material … latex is not everyone’s favorite material. If you don’t prefer latex then a mattress that used it would have much less value to you no matter how long it may last you.

I would make durability and knowing the quality of all the layers in a mattress my next priority. In the case of Keetsa I would make sure that they don’t have any weak links or use lower quality materials (many of the Zinus brands of which Keetsa is one use lower density memory foam). No matter how good a match a mattress may be in terms of PPP … if it’s useful lifetime doesn’t justify what you paid for it then it would also have much less value to you.

After these two … I would compare the mattress to your other finalists taking into account the the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Probably not. While latex and memory foam mattresses may have the same level of pressure relief … latex and memory foam are very different in terms of how they feel (see post #2 here). I would test some latex mattresses in person so you can decide which of the two specialty materials you tend to prefer.

Post #2 here has more about latex/polyfoam hybrids vs an all latex mattress. With its two layers of latex … the Aloe Alexis would be somewhat in between a typical latex hybrid with a single layer of latex over polyfoam and an all latex mattress.

You may have seen this already but some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York city area are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of some of them in post #7 here.

Pure Latex Bliss also makes some soft Talalay latex mattresses that may be well worth testing as a reference for soft latex and if you go to their retail store finder here you can find the retailers that are closest to you.

The best guidance I could provide though is to always put your own personal experience above theory. Wanting to like a certain material or type of mattress can sometimes be very different from actually liking it.

Phoenix

Thanks for the information, from the list you directed me to I was actually able to head over to The Clean Bedroom in NYC and try out a few latex mattresses. I definitely got to feel the difference between a plush foam and a plush latex, and really understood the sleeping “on” a mattress idea more even with a bed so soft, even though I sunk somewhat into it, I was never enveloped by the mattress.

I am starting to lean towards the MF beds, because even through I like both I think my wife will prefer having a Tempurpedic like experience on a MF mattress. I am currently looking at a few on Brooklyn Bedding and SelectFoam, I think they offer the best in terms of what I am looking for. Do you have a post that outlines these manufacturers or a guide on buying a mattress online?

Also in terms of thickness of a mattress and its layers, is the only purpose of that for heavier individuals so that they don’t compress the mattress too much?

-Wil

Hi Wmorales,

It’s the “optional” step in the tutorial post here which also includes a link to a list of some of the better online manufacturers and retailers that sell memory foam mattresses … many of which are members of this site.

Most of them use commonly available memory foam mattresses as a reference point or approximation for their mattresses (usually Tempurpedic but sometimes Sealy Optimum or Serta iComfort) so that their customers can test local mattresses that are similar to their own mattresses to get a better sense of how their mattresses feel and perform. Post #9 here has more about the different ways that one mattress may “match” another one. This can be based on having the equivalent comfort/support, quality of materials, overall design, or “feel” (which is very subjective, is the most difficult part to “match”, and can vary from person to person and mattress to mattress even if it matches based on the other criteria). Most of them also have good return policies so that if for some reason your experience on a mattress is significantly different from what you expected or the mattress isn’t suitable for you in terms of PPP then you have good options available after a purchase.

The thickness of a mattress is generally a side effect of it’s design goals and by itself isn’t really an important factor. In very general terms … thicker mattresses will tend to be softer and heavier body types may “bottom out” on some mattresses that are too thin but this really depends more on the specifics of what is inside the mattress than the actual thickness so this isn’t a reliable way to evaluate any mattress.

Some manufacturers are very aware that many consumers falsely believe that thicker mattresses are higher quality or somehow “better” than thinner mattresses so they will use some “design tricks” such as using taller innersprings or thicker layers of cheap polyfoam to “pad” the height instead of using more layers of more costly materials so that they can attach a higher price tag to the mattress at less cost. Retailers who make an issue of the thickness of the mattress instead of its suitability for a specific body type or sleeping positions are generally after the sale more than they are trying to educate the customer or help them make the best choice. What’s inside the mattress and how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP is always more important than its thickness.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help, I’ve narrowed it down to either a Cirrus from Select foam or either a MF or Latex from Brooklyn Bedding. I am leaning towards the BB after talking with them today, still have to take my wife out to test the latex mattress for a while.

One question I thought I would pose to you (and I looked on the forum and couldn’t find it although I am sure it is there), from the Bamboo to the Aloe Alexis what is the benefit of having the extra layer. I was originally planning on spending twice the price of the AA but if I can save 400 more dollars on something that may not benefit me, just means I can spend it on better pillows and sheets.

-Wil

Here is a read for you Wmorales → Here

There is one more option → Here

Hi Wmorales,

One more that would be worth reading is post #2 here.

I would treat the choice between a memory foam mattress and a latex mattress as a personal preference. Post #2 here) has more about the differences between them but your own personal testing is really the best way to know which one you prefer.

Phoenix