Need some serious mattress help

Hello,

I have been reading posts on this website for around a month trying to decide the best mattress for me, and decided it was finally time to make an account and ask some questions.

I am definitely the type that likes to do their research before making an expensive purchase, and unfortunately, I seem to keep getting turned around on trying to make a decision.

To start, I am currently looking into Nectar mattress (foam), Brooklyn Bedding (Latex + poly foam core), and Dreamfoam (either one of the latex or the arctic dream), which I know is a sister company to Brooklyn Bedding. I also know these are also vastly different mattresses.

First, I am a very hot sleeper. I understand how foam traps heat and locks it in, which would contribute to sleeping hot. However, Nectar’s top layer claims to have a cooling layer, which I can either believe or not. I also know that Nectar is a relatively new brand, without many people having it over a year, so it’s tough to know it’s long term durability. I get that theres a lifetime warranty and 365 night sleep trial, so relatively low risk, however, why go through the hassle if it’s not the right mattress.

Now, I also understand that latex is less likely to ‘sleep hot.’ With that being said, I begun searching the internet for latex beds, but my price range is not very high, so 100% latex is kind of not an option. Many have two 3" layers of latex, talalay or dunlop and then a foam base. Brooklyn bedding stuck out simply because of it’s price, replaceable cotton top, and USA made parts. However, some of BB’s reviews on yelp (seems to be the only place where they have negative reviews) preaches about their horrible customer service… Which when buying a bed online, you really need to rely on the ability to honor the 120 nights sleep return policy.

I have gone to a lot of mattress stores in my area (Seattle) to try out these types of mattresses, however, since BB and Nectar and Dreamfoam are all online manufacturers, it’s hard to know if they will be similar. When I laid on memory foam mattresses, it was definitely different than the spring beds I’m use to. Felt hard, however it’s definitely something I didn’t mind and could get use to. So a big question is whether the Nectar will be on the ‘softer’ side of the memory foam options I laid on, or the harder. Harder memory foam is probably not ideal for my girlfriend, so I’d want the softer side. Now the latex bed I laid on I really liked. It had a very similar cotton quilt top as BB, talalay latex, and a poly foam core. However, it was $1800.

So with ALL that being said… Please help! My price range is between $500-800 for a queen bed. My girlfriend and I are very much on the lighter side (hence why we wouldn’t do well with firmer latex or foam), I’m about 5’8 150 pounds and she is about 5’2 115 pounds.

Any information regarding the previously mentioned brands that I have considered (I have been EXTREMELY close to pulling the trigger on both at separate times), or another brand that may be more appealing, please share.

I appreciate the help!

Hi scoittebene,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad that you took the time here to post. While I can’t pick out a mattress for you (the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendations), I certainly can help with the “how” of picking out a mattress.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet, the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The Nectar uses a 1" of 4 lb gel memory foam, a 3-inch 3.5 lb memory foam with a medical grade cooling and finally a 2.2 lb polyfoam core. They don’t list the thickness of the polyfoam core, or the thickness of the quilted gel memory foam panel or the density of that material. The polyfoam core uses a good density foam, but I would use some caution with the 3" of 3.5 lb. memory foam on top of the core, as that is a bit lower than I would normally recommend. They are a product assembled in the USA of components sourced from China and the US. They do not specific what is from where. I would caution against purchasing this item before knowing the complete specifications and component origins.

The Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever uses a 6" 2 ln polyfoam core, on top of which is a 2" layer of Dunlop latex and then a 2" layer of Talalay latex. The cotton cover is quilted with a thin piece of polyfoam. This mattress is available in three different levels of plushness (soft, medium, firm), where the ILDs of the Dunlop and Talalay are varied (32/32/34 for the Dunlop and 19/28/32 for the Talalay).

You didn’t specify which Arctic Dreams model you’re comparing, but they use 3 lb. Energex high-performance polyfoam in 2"-3" over a conservatively classified 1.55 lb. polyfoam core (specs out to 1.75 lb.). Overall, the Arctic Dreams is a great quality/value choice and you’d be hard pressed to find better quality/density materials in a mattress in this lower budget range.

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are site members here, which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Regarding cooling memory foam claims, you can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here ) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here . In general terms gel foams will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night.

Gel and/or other thermal conductive or phase change materials can have “some effect” on the sleeping temperature of a particular material but how much of an effect they will have and how long the effect will last will depend on the specific formulation of the material and on the “combined effect” of all the other materials and components of the sleeping system including your sheets, mattress protector, and bedding.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms, and regardless of the mattress you choose, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

While Nectar is a “newer” brand, I would focus first and foremost on the materials contained within their mattress, as that will be the most accurate way to determine quality and durability.

Warranties in general are not nearly as important to me as knowing the materials within a mattress because the reason most people need to replace a mattress is not a manufacturing defect but the loss of comfort and/or support which is not covered by a warranty. Knowing the materials in a mattress will tell you how long the original qualities of a mattress will last relative to other types of materials, and I think this is something that you already “have a handle on” and understand.

I personally would be happy with a 5 year warranty (against manufacturing defects) if I knew the materials could last me 15 - 20 years … but of course the vast majority of consumers would believe that a mattress with a 5 year warranty was an inferior mattress, and fall into the marketing fallacy of equating a longer warranty with a better product. There is also a good Beducation video about mattress warranties here .

Your point about being able to replace a mattress is also well-taken. A long trial period is mostly unnecessary, in my opinion, as people are usually able to discern if the mattress is a fit for them within a 1-3 month timeframe.

All foams are an insulator, and latex, specifically Talalay, is one of the more breathable materials, but it is just one component within a completed mattress, which is then part of a sleeping system (mattress pads, sheets, blankets, pillows) and then part of an overall sleeping environment (ambient temperature and humidity in master bedroom), so there are many variables involved (per links provided above).

Comments like you mentioned (and review sites in general) are one of the reasons I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you, or as a blanket statement on the policy of a particular company. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful, and reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

In today’s online environment, which is weighted so heavily (and somewhat unfairly) towards negative consumer comments and feedback, even a single “negative” online comment can have a disproportionate effect on the sales or reputation of a business (especially smaller ones - deserved or not) and can negatively impact years of hard work and effort towards building a good reputation. With Brooklyn Bedding being so large, serving tens of thousands of customers, there are many sites where you’ll read many positive and also some negative reviews. And while my advice is in general to not give much attention to online reviews, my experience with Brooklyn Bedding has been such as to point that they go above and beyond with their comfort exchange policies, and I’ve personally been involved in assisting customers of theirs where they’ve been extended terms much longer than their advertised time frame.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place). Memory foam definitely has a different feel than traditional polyfoam or latex.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to tell you, based upon your own personal testing or objective mattress specifications, if you’d find a particular product either “firm” or “soft”.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here ) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. In other words … the only reliable way to know whether a mattress will be “firm enough” or “soft enough” for you will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

When a memory foam mattress is generally described as “firm” or “soft”, much of that is due to the thickness (or lack of) of the memory foam layer combined with hardness of the polyfoam core. All memory foam is general quite plush (mid-teens ILD), so thinner layers can be “felt through” and more of the “harder” polyfoam core can be felt.

Just like with the memory foam comparisons, attempting to find models in-store that best approximate what you’re comparing online will give you the best chance at finding something that is “in the range” of any online mattress. Also, a phone call to any online company you’re attempting to compare to will be assistive, as they’ll best be able to know how their products might compare to items commonly found in brick and mortar stores.

Posts #1 and #2 in the Simplified Choice thread will list quite a bit of information about many of the mattresses of the type that you are considering. Post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of as well.

I know that is a lot of information that I’ve provided, but I hope that it is assistive to you. I’ll look forward to any comments you have as you move forward in your process after you’ve had a chance to study the material presented…

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your detailed responses.

I would love to dig deeper into the types of Dreamfoam and how they stack up against Brooklyn Bedding. The Dreamfoam ultimate latex is 599 for a queen, and the ultimate dreams eurotop is 899 for a queen. (with 10% off this is on the PEAK of my price range and I’d have to be really sure about it). The Arctic Dreams cooling gel mattress is only 299.99, but I’m afraid i’m suffering on the quality, but I really don’t know. In terms of quality of parts, which is a better value? Also I really have a tough time with the soft/medium matchup. I have felt mediums in stores that were great, and mediums that were hard. I have felt softs that were WAY too soft, and softs that seemed supportive.

I would also consider the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Mattress, as it is in my price range. Could you give some similar mattresses for me to go to the store to try out for these 3?

I have learned that Brooklyn Bedding is located in Arizona, do you know if they have a show room there? I am heading to Phoenix on Wednesday and would love to be able to test it out. Is there anywhere to feel the Dreamfoam mattresses?

EDIT: I see now there are show rooms in Phoenix. So I will definitely go and try these out before making a purchase. Still have the question regarding the Dreamfoam mattresses (the Ultimate latex, Arctic Dream, and Ultimate Dream).

Hi scottebene,

You would do this by following the steps listed in the mattress shopping tutorial that I linked to in the second paragraph in my earlier reply to you. There you will find the steps necessary to compare one mattress to another and learn about the quality of materials.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Again, you should read the mattress shopping tutorial so that you can learn about foam qualities and how to compare the specifications of one mattress versus another. The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Latex uses a 1.8 lb polyfoam core that is 6" thick, and it uses 3" of Talalay latex on top of that. There’s 1.5" of polyfoam quilted to the top covering. This can be ordered in multiple firmnesses which will be determined through a phone call with one of the Dreamfoam customer service staff when/after you place your order. The Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever uses a 2 lb polyfoam core and has a 2" layer of Dunlop latex under a 2" layer of Talalay latex. So there is more “premium” material in this mattress as compared to the Ultimate Dreams Latex and the polyfoam is higher in density. I described the Artic Dreams specification to you in my previous reply, and it would be more of a good value/budget mattress when minimizing your price was a priority but you still wanted to procure something using high quality products relative to that low price point.

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I also addressed this in my earlier reply, discussing that there is no one consensus (nor could there be) for what a “medium” or “plush” mattress might be, and nothing can replace your own careful personal testing (which I think you are going to attempt in Phoenix).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. Dreamfoam lists the specifications of their mattresses on their web site, and using this information can assist you in looking locally for mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations. But note my caution in my previous post about attempting to “match” one mattress to another, and the often futile nature of those attempts.

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress uses a 6" polyfoam core that is 1.8 lb, on top of which is placed a 2" layer of 5 lb memory foam and on top of that is a 3" layer of 4 lb memory foam. As you stated in your previous post that you are a warm sleeper, and this is a memory foam mattress, this model may not be the best option for you.

I think your planned visit in Phoenix to a Brooklyn Bedding showroom will be by far the most valuable thing that you can do so that you can translate the specifications online into “real world” comforts. Good luck with your visit and I’ll be interested in learning about anything that you tried out and liked. Have fun!

Phoenix

Hi scottebene,

You would do this by following the steps listed in the mattress shopping tutorial that I linked to in the second paragraph in my earlier reply to you. There you will find the steps necessary to compare one mattress to another and learn about the quality of materials.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Again, you should read the mattress shopping tutorial so that you can learn about foam qualities and how to compare the specifications of one mattress versus another. The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Latex uses a 1.8 lb polyfoam core that is 6" thick, and it uses 3" of Talalay latex on top of that. There’s 1.5" of polyfoam quilted to the top covering. This can be ordered in multiple firmnesses which will be determined through a phone call with one of the Dreamfoam customer service staff when/after you place your order. The Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever uses a 2 lb polyfoam core and has a 2" layer of Dunlop latex under a 2" layer of Talalay latex. So there is more “premium” material in this mattress as compared to the Ultimate Dreams Latex and the polyfoam is higher in density. I described the Artic Dreams specification to you in my previous reply, and it would be more of a good value/budget mattress when minimizing your price was a priority but you still wanted to procure something using high quality products relative to that low price point.

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I also addressed this in my earlier reply, discussing that there is no one consensus (nor could there be) for what a “medium” or “plush” mattress might be, and nothing can replace your own careful personal testing (which I think you are going to attempt in Phoenix).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. Dreamfoam lists the specifications of their mattresses on their web site, and using this information can assist you in looking locally for mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations. But note my caution in my previous post about attempting to “match” one mattress to another, and the often futile nature of those attempts.

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress uses a 6" polyfoam core that is 1.8 lb, on top of which is placed a 2" layer of 5 lb memory foam and on top of that is a 3" layer of 4 lb memory foam. As you stated in your previous post that you are a warm sleeper, and this is a memory foam mattress, this model may not be the best option for you.

I think your planned visit in Phoenix to a Brooklyn Bedding showroom will be by far the most valuable thing that you can do so that you can translate the specifications online into “real world” comforts. Good luck with your visit and I’ll be interested in learning about anything that you tried out and liked. Have fun!

Phoenix