Need something softer than Novosbed Harmony

I have been on the forums a bit (though not anywhere near as much as I probably should) and decided to take a shot at upgrading my queen to a king with Novosbed. I read all the great reviews of their customer service and their return policy and figured I had nothing to lose. I even went to a retailer to try the Tempur cloud supreme and the Sealy Optimum to compare the Novos Aria vs. Harmony. I really like the Sealy so we ordered the Harmony in addition to the wood foundation from Novos. Customer service was great, delivery was easy and construction of the foundation was not bad either. Once we unpacked the mattress and let it expand for nearly a day, I thought we were in good shape since everything looked right. Fast forward to today (admittedly only one week later), but I feel like the mattress is not providing any sink at all and really bothering my shoulder as a side sleeper. I figured that as the softest mattress Novos offered that it would be much softer. On the flip side, it does not sleep nearly as warm as my last mattress and it seems to be made out of high quality materials, but I just can’t seem to sink at all. Perhaps it has an exponential effect if you’re heavier (I’m only about 160), but it is driving me nuts and really affecting my sleep.

I think I have no choice but to send it back when the return window opens. My question for the forum is where do I go now. I still am very much a believer in going direct online to get the best value, but I am willing to spend $1,400+ if it will be a great mattress and a good fit for me. Because of the trial and error approach I am very insistent on free returns and free pickup. I have read good things about both Spindle and Brooklyn Bedding since they both have “soft” options, though I admit I stopped a bit short of figuring out all that is involved with putting the Spindle layers together. What other options do I have for high quality, soft mattresses (not even attached to memory foam). Also, can I continue to use my Novosbed foundation with any other king latex/foam mattress I buy online? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hi Iceman,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress isn’t working out for you as well as you hoped for but I would give your mattress some time because there will be a break in and adjustment period over the first few weeks as your mattress softens a little and you adjust to the “feel” of a new sleeping surface that is different from what you are used to that can change your sleeping experience significantly (see post #3 here). There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

If after 30 days your mattress is still too firm then it’s good to see that you had the foresight to purchase an online mattress that has a great return policy.

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and more importantly help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial also includes several links to the better online options that I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step) including Brooklyn Bedding and Spindle and many of them also have great exchange or return policies that can be an important part of reducing the risk of an online purchase.

I don’t have any specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions about the firmness of a mattress or how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Your Novosbed foundation will be fine for other foam mattresses or latex hybrid mattresses and if the distance between the slats is 3" or less then it will also be fine for an all latex mattress that has a latex support core as well

Phoenix

Hello Iceman:I also have the Harmony mattress,and it is a little firm for me.I purchased a 2 inch 5 lb. memory foam topper from dreamfoam bedding.It made the bed more soft and plush feeling for me.Hopes this helps.I am sleeping good on this configuration so far.