Need to replace Brooklyn Aurora ASAP Overloaded by research!

Last time I bought a mattress, 17 years ago, I lay down on a couple, picked one, and it was perfect.
Now I am steeped in mattress research and fully overwhelmed.

First I went to mattress firm and picked a beautyrest that felt lovely, then I researched it and saw how the quality was called into question. Then I tried countless more mattresses and stores and found the same results. Either it was out of my price range ($1800 max) or it was in my price range and the reviews online werenā€™t great.

Finally I went to a store that had a ton of online brands and we picked the Brooklyn Aurora. Received the bed and I really dislike it. My husband can sleep on anything so he is totally fine but I feel like it has no support. The top layer is squishy, which I like (though I kind of prefer a quilted feeling) but then it feels like there is no support below it. Like I feel like we are hammocking in the bed, like itā€™s sucking me in. Like we dip towards eachother. I really donā€™t like that.
So, I have until the end of february to return it and find something else and I have been HUNTING!

My sister is obsessed with sleep number but it was super expensive for not seeming like much.
I found a mattress at Ortho Mattress company called the Pembridge Luxury Pillow Top. I put down a deposit but then I researched the company and they have a ton of BBB claims. They also donā€™t have returns, only exchanges. Just feels quite dodgy and all the BBB claims are about the longevity of their mattresses.

I went back to the online mattress store and tried the Nest Sparrow and liked it a lot though I am concerned that it sinks in a bit like the Brooklyn aurora. We tried the firm split bed. The reviews question Nest longevity too and their customer service. People seem to say that the quality and durability has gone downhill since they switched from the Alexander to the Sparrow. I contacted Nest to touch base one everything and they confirmed that the slats on my Ikea bed are not sufficient and the warranty will be voided, even though this is the upgraded ikea slat system and Iā€™m stuck with this bed for the next few years.

I also tried the Helix Dusk Luxe and liked it though it seems like the Midnight Luxe might be better suited to my size and sleeping style. But, there was a sale at the time that I tried it that put it in my price range and now thatā€™s no more.

So now I have a few weeks to find a bed and Iā€™m struggling. Iā€™m currently without a vehicle and partially in a wheelchair so Iā€™m pouring my energy into online research since I canā€™t keep running around trying to get a ride to mattress stores. I just want this done and I donā€™t want a saggy bed anymore.

I would deeply appreciate some help or guidance on this.

We are shopping for a king.
Iā€™m 185lbs, 5ā€™ 5", leg amputee so I have a ton of injuries and sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. I have a lot of back pain, joint pain, etc. I like something that feels soft on top but is supportive underneath. I like the feeling of a lovely quilted hotel bed but Iā€™ve been trying hybrids as a way to afford the same effect and Iā€™m ok with the hybrid feel.
My husband is 5ā€™ 7", 150lbs, sleeps on his stomach or side and likes a soft but supportive bed.

Really would appreciate any help on this. Should I just buy the Pembridge mattress from Ortho Mattress for $1500? Should I hope for a Helix sale? Should I get the Nest Sparrow even though their online reviews are questionable? Is there something else I should consider?

Use the mattress tutorial and test mattresses. The best person to choose a mattress is you because only you know how a mattress feels.

You might want to expand your budget to include Talalay latex from FloBeds. You can have dual sides with different firmnesses. SleepEZ is good tooā€¦.and they have Dunlop latex which is firmer. Get a loan and get the latex.You can try FloBeds or SleepEZ latex for $100 risk. Try it!!!

I like Talalay over Dunlop myself.

John

Hi Liv and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Last time I bought a mattress, 17 years ago, I lay down on a couple, picked one, and it was perfect.
Now I am steeped in mattress research and fully overwhelmed.
First I went to mattress firm and picked a beautyrest that felt lovely, then I researched it and saw how the quality was called into question. Then I tried countless more mattresses and stores and found the same results. Either it was out of my price range ($1800 max) or it was in my price range and the reviews online werenā€™t great

Sorry to hear of your difficulties in finding a new mattress. Given your complex circumstances I understand why your journey to find something that meets your criteria is so difficult. Itā€™s easy to get ā€˜analysis paralysisā€™ with all the information and also misinformation available! To start off, any mattress you finally choose will be unique to you and your husband based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). So thanks for providing those details it certainly makes it easier to guide you.

One word about reviews, while they can be helpful in some ways, I would not give too much weight to them, as the reviewers all have their own Stats and PPP, and as well,ā€¦some can just be thinly disguised marketing. I know you say youā€™ve been ā€˜overwhelmed with researchā€™, but if you havenā€™t yet I would suggest first reading The Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a good retail outlet and how to look for a suitable mattress.

and we picked the Brooklyn Aurora. Received the bed and I really dislike it. My husband can sleep on anything so he is totally fine but I feel like it has no support. The top layer is squishy, which I like (though I kind of prefer a quilted feeling) but then it feels like there is no support below it. Like I feel like we are hammocking in the bed, like itā€™s sucking me in. Like we dip towards eachother. I really donā€™t like that.

Unfortunately, many of the mattresses you mentioned - Brooklyn bedding Aurora, Pembridge Luxury, Helix Dusk Luxe, and Midnight Luxe - all contain memory foam, gel foam and polyfoam of unknown densities and undisclosed composition. This can make it difficult for consumers to assess how these might support them as well as hold up over time. Keep in mind the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and how they compare to the Mattress Durability Guidelines. I would make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foam (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and up to 5lbs/cuft for higher BMIs) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have adequate supportā€¦I recommend caution if these specifications are not available. Memory foam of insufficient density can prematurely wear leaving divots or ridges which can affect both alignment and comfort (especially for higher BMI ranges and cronic health conditions) A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). You may want to read a few guidelines for this here.

With a 13"+ mattress ā€¦ the firmness would need to go up (than what you had for a less tick mattress) on average because thicker mattresses will ā€œactā€ softer for most people. If you make changes to one of the specs (such as the layer thickness of the top layer) ā€¦ then you may also need to make other changes to the other layers to compensate.

I went back to the online mattress store and tried the Nest Sparrow and liked it a lot though I am concerned that it sinks in a bit like the Brooklyn aurora. We tried the firm split bed. The reviews question Nest longevity too and their customer service. People seem to say that the quality and durability has gone downhill since they switched from the Alexander to the Sparrow
they confirmed that the slats on my Ikea bed are not sufficient and the warranty will be voided, even though this is the upgraded ikea slat system and Iā€™m stuck with this bed for the next few years.

Nest Bedding, as one of the Trusted Members of the site, are very transparent in the materials and construction of their mattresses. The Nest Sparrow is a well-constructed 13.5" memory foam and polyfoam hybrid mattress, somewhat similar to the discontinued Alexander but with an 8" quantum edge pocket coil layer instead of foam for support, so similar to the other mattresses you considered. However, given that you are in the higher weight ranges the 3 comfort layers may not be that supportive and also may not hold up as well over time (0.5" 4 lb. Luxury Memory Foam + 3" 2.8 lb. Energex Cooling Comfort Layer + 1" 3 lb. SmartFlow Support Foam). The ā€˜sinkingā€™ feeling may just mean you need a bit more primary support and enough secondary support in the comfort layer so that the foams are supporting the recessed areas of your body profile and keep your spine in neutral alignment.

I would keep away from the major brands for which you canā€™t find the mattress specs you need to know to assess how long any potential mattress is likely to last. You certainly do not want, In a couple of years, to start looking for a new mattress. So first Iā€™d focus on durability and then on suitability. Because of the weight difference between you and your husband, and because the very different sleeping positions I would also consider to order a side by side split. Then Iā€™d make sure that the mattress is customizable and if need be you can exchange or switch layers around.

I also would not buy anything that does not have some good return/exchange policies. I am assuming that you do not have another bed or can find another sleep arrangement for a while so I can understand your urgency. You have a short period of time, so Iā€™d pick up the phone and call some of the trusted members and share with them your needs and explain your difficulties in going to test a mattress. These people are extremely qualified to help their customers with special needs or preferences.

Also, Biosleep Concept carries several foam and hybrid models, as does Magic Sleeper, Mattress To Go, Arizona Premium, and SleepEZ for example, and they have much more information on their components to help you make an informed choice.

I would be cautious using anything else but the recommended base for your mattress as you would not want to void the warranty. As your budget is limited to only buying a mattress the expert and trusted members can also advise you regarding the compatibility of your Ikea slatted bed frame; and modifications that can be made to make it suitable. Depending on weight restrictions, you may be able to place a Bunkie board or thin piece of plywood over the slats, as long as the mattress is not too heavy, and depending on the construction ā€“ i.e., center support brace, additional legs for center support, and so on.

If at all possible Iā€™d not give into a sense of urgency as that can lead to rush decisions!

~ Basilio

Hey thanks for the very detailed response.
This honestly makes me feel like perhaps I should take a risk with Nest since it felt good to both of us.
There are so many reddit posts about the mattress support giving out after a few months though. It feels like it undermines Nests position as a trusted brand here. But Iā€™d love to feel more assuredness with Nest and just buy that mattress. Thereā€™s an odd disconnect where it seems to be highly recommended here but really ripped to shreds elsewhere.
Iā€™d really love some clarity on that since I really did enjoy the way the Nest Sparrow felt.

I have a brand new Ikea bed with slats and support straps since it has storage underneath that we need. I assume I could add a bunkie board on top of the slats that are already there.

Iā€™m a bit confused by the BMI comments. Is 185 considered too heavy for a regular mattress? I feel like Iā€™ve seen our weights reversed often with a male being 185 and their female spouse being 150 and it is not considered worth commenting on, so Iā€™m puzzled. If our genders were reversed, would this still be worth commenting on?
If thatā€™s the case, I honestly had no idea that mattresses could handle such little weight. My ex and I slept on the same mattress for 10 years, he was close to 300lbs, and that mattress was incredibly supportive and comfortable. I wish I had paid attention to what it was when I bought it 17 years ago.

Anyways, your response has made me feel hopeful there is an end in sight! Thanks so much for the help!

Hi Liv,

Reviews can be very misleading; thereā€™s no way to tell if the person leaving the review has a legitimate complaint, is just feeling ā€˜buyersā€™ remorseā€™, did not research their needs adequately and got a bed thatā€™s not right for them, or is just making noise. There are ā€˜review farmsā€™ turning out ā€˜contentā€™ which deftly leads to advertising of ā€˜better solutionsā€™ which are sub standardā€¦we try to ensure the posts here are real people, with their own good or poor experiences with particular products.

As far as BMI: though this is an inexact system, and thereā€™s a lot of debate on using it in, say healthcare to classify folks, itā€™s a useful statistic, along with height, sleeping position, and health issues, to determine how any mattress may be compatible for a particular sleeper. Foam density is measured by ā€˜ILDā€™( indentation load deflection) for latex and ā€˜IFDā€™ (indentation force deflection) for other foams. This is calculated by measuring how many pounds of pressure it takes to indent a 4 inch piece of foam by 25%.
It gives an idea - along with PPP - of how any given mattress will be supportive enough for a sleeper. Since consumers can be of any size shape, physical condition, with their own myriad preferences, itā€™s just a tool for assessment - certainly no judgement is meant!

As for the slatted frame bed - if there is storage underneath, it should be good support wise. If you can, see what the max weight for it is listed; and make sure any mattress you choose is not exceeding that weight, and the manufacturers listed recommended base for the mattress. A bunkie board can help protect the mattress from any wear or damage from the slats and spaces between them in most cases.

I hope I answered your concerns - please let us know how your mattress search goes!

~ Basilio

Okay, sounds like you need support underneath and a nice more cushion-like top for side sleeping. Have you thought about latex? I love it. And if you get a firm mattress for your support you can get a more supportive cushiony top. Just a thought.
I know Sleep on Latex is no longer a member here but it might be worth you calling them and talking. The support staff is wonderful (talk to Andrew or Lexi) and they will advise you.
Good luck
hester