Need your expertise/advice on new latex mattress causing back pain

Hi Phoenix,
I have had a new mattress for almost two months now and need some help/advice as to what you think may be causing me back pain and how I may be able to tweak the latex layers.

As a reminder I am a side (forward leaning) sleeper only, 5’6 and somewhat overweight. I also have several health problems which cause severe muscle & joint pain.

After testing many mattresses and checking my alignment/measurements, the new 11 inch queen mattress was ordered as:

Head to Foot
Top layer-14 ILD(31"),19 ILD(49") with 2" depth
Middle layer-19 ILD(36"), 28 ILD(44") with a 3" depth
Bottom layer-32 ILD(80") with a 6" depth
(The layers are each 30" wide and all layers are same on both sides of the mattress)

The first two weeks of sleeping on the mattress caused a very bad low back ache that would eventually go away after I was out of the bed for several hours. I felt like my low back and hip areas were sinking in too far and I also didn’t feel stable while laying on my side. After discussing this with the mattress store, their recommendation was to remove the 28 ILD(44") in the middle layer and replace it with a 32 ILD(44").

While I was waiting for the 32 ILD(44") to be delivered I couldn’t take the low back pain anymore so I removed the entire top layer (14 ILD & 19 ILD) and just slept on the middle and bottom layers. This ended up being more comfortable and my low back pain decreased quite a bit.

A little over a week ago the 32 ILD(44") was delivered and it was put in the middle layer with the 19 ILD(36") at the head of the bed and the 14 & 19 ILD top layer was put back on. I immediately started waking again with the low back pain. I have now slept on the new layer for a little over a week now to see if maybe just needed to adjust, but the pain is not improving.

Based on the different layers I have slept on over the last two months, it seems to me that the top layer may be the culprit.

I sure would appreciate your input and opinion as to what you think may help me with the pain and your recommendation in regards to layers, ILD’s, depth and placement.

Thank you so much,

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

Have you tried sleeping closer to the foot of the bed?  Your hips might not be over the firmer part of your split, making it feel too soft.  I split my layers at 32" from the top, and I'm 6'1".  If you "migrate" to the top of the bed while sleeping you might be ending up on a really soft mattress.

Hope you find something that works,

Brotherloo

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

You would be much better off dealing with Bob directly (assuming that the mattress came from CSD) who is much more experienced than I am with making adjustments to his own designs and typically these kind of issues require a much more detailed and nuanced level of voice communication and analysis than is possible on a forum.

Have you talked with him … and if you have could you share the suggestions he made? This would always be the place to start.

While there is no way to “diagnose” the cause of back pain from a distance, especially when there are health considerations involved that may complicate matters … I may be able to provide a few insights that may help you work with Bob more effectively.

The most common cause of this is either an adjustment period to a new sleeping surface (and in this case any changes over the first few weeks rather than just the more black and white “there or not there” symptoms are important) or your hips/pelvis sinking in too far or not enough and changing the “neutral” curvature of the lumbar curve. It’s more common that it’s too far than not enough although either are a possibility. You can see an indication of both in this diagram. It seems that you and Bob also suspected this and this was the change you made to make the mattress firmer under the pelvis lower lumbar area.

This is an important “clue” and indicates that a thinner or firmer comfort layer could work well. While this seems to provide better alignment … with your other health issues it’s also important to make sure that it is providing good pressure relief because this is just as important and the most likely reason for the softer layers in the first place. This would be part of the balance between pressure relief and support/alignment that can be particularly challenging when there more complex situations or other health issues involved. How was this layering in terms of pressure relief?

This is also an important clue and once again could indicate the need for firmer/thinner comfort layers so that you aren’t sinking in quite as far. Your support core is also a little softer (probably chosen to help accommodate the other health issues and as part of an overall design) and could be contributing to how far your hips/pelvis is sinking in as well. Have you talked with Bob about this as well and could you share what he said?

All the layers work together simultaneously (you would be sinking into more than just the top layer) so it’s hard to identify just a single “culprit” and thickness and softness work together. It seems though that you need either thinner or firmer comfort layers or at least a way to “stop” your pelvis from sinking in too far before it is “stopped” by the firmer core. The key with this is to make sure that all the other factors that can be involved with any layering change are also taken into account because changing a single layer can also result in other effects to the mattress as a whole that it takes knowledge and experience to predict and every change needs to be considered in relationship to the rest of the mattress.

It would also be interesting to see any difference between sleeping on the mattress with the top layer removed and the firmer middle layer compared to the same thing with the softer middle layer that you’ve already tried. Your comments about the pressure relief of both would also be important.

It’s not possible for me to help people with “what” to choose because there are too many variables involved to do this without more detailed phone conversations and they have much more experience and knowledge and know much more about their own designs and how they work with different people than I do. My role is to help you understand the many possibilities involved and possibly provide you with some insights about “how” to choose. My first suggestion in the case of a knowledgeable manufacturer would always be to work with the people who know more about their mattresses than anyone and to talk in more detail about the “symptoms” you are experiencing on various combinations you have tried and the type of adjustments that can help you. The more accurate feedback you can provide in your phone conversations with them the more you can help them to help you. The best “expert” in your situation is Bob and his suggestions would be much more valuable than mine when it comes to his own designs.

It would be interesting though to compare the two middle layers in each version to each other both in terms of alignment (and back pain) AND in terms of pressure relief and I’m sure that your feedback would help Bob as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
It’s been a while since I followed up from your last post as I have been trying to work on getting some proper comfortable sleep on my new mattress. I did remove the top layers that were on the mattress and slept only on the 32ILD 6" core and the 3"28ILD on top of that and things did improve a bit. I found that having all the different layers, sized, cuts etc that originally were in my mattress were just too much and too soft… I felt like I was laying in a hot dog roll most of the time and my hips were laying directly on the cuts which spread the latex in that area as well. While sleeping on just the 6" 32 & 3" 28 improved somewhat, I still felt I was not as comfortable as I should be and felt that my hip was most likely sinking in too far.

Fast forward to two weeks ago- I finally was able to get a few layers changed in the mattress. Now I have the original 6" 32 ILD core (2 pieces 30x80), one 60x80 piece of 3" 36 ILD in middle, and one 60x80 piece of 2" 28 ILD on top. This is my second latex change since having new mattress delivered, but one of many changes I have tried with all of the pieces of latex I have from the original configuration.

I slept on this new arrangement for about 8 days and still had low back/hip pain. I then switched the top and middle layer to see if this would help at all-so now it is: 6" 32 core, 2" 28 middle 3" 36 top and have been on this since Saturday night. This feels firmer, pressure points a little more noticeable, but my low back/hip is still really bothering and wakes me all night long and then takes hours once I am up for it to stop hurting. When I lay on the mattress I don’t feel like my body is in alignment. Sleeping on my side, and depending on the pillow(s), my head can be higher or lower (I’ve tried both) and from my shoulder to top of waist feels straight on the mattress, then from top of waist to hip feels more like it is going diagonally down on an angle then from top of leg to knee goes diagonally back up again and from knees to feet straight on mattress(-hopefully you can visualize this). Laying this way already begins to hurt my lower back now before I even fall asleep.

The other issue I have found is that after a few days of sleeping on any new layer, they seem to get looser and sag, along with the problem that my entire mattress feels uneven. I am the only sleeper on the queen and to roll to the other side of the mattress requires me to go up hill. When I sleep on the other side, my body battles against rolling back down to where I usually sleep. Should this be happening with such a new mattress?

I am very frustrated, not only from being tired and in pain, but also from spending a lot of money on a mattress that I can’t get comfortable in. I’m ready to throw this mattress out and start over, but I wouldn’t even know where to go from here. I spent a lot of time reading about different mattress types etc. and trying out different mattresses for months before I decided on this one. I don’t know what to do anymore and the store I bought this mattress from doesn’t have much in the Idea Deparment either.

Before purchasing this all latex (blended) mattress, I slept on a firm Serta perfect sleeper with plush top for 7 years which eventually gave out because of the comfort layer sinking in where I slept. This was causing me back pain as well, but up until that happened I slept fine on it. I was very excited to get a new mattress and really thought a latex mattress was going to be comfortable, help with alignment and reduce the back pain.

I really hope that you or someone out there can help come up with something to try or maybe due to the details I have given can point out something that I may be missing. I have read a lot of posts over the last several months and when I compare my mattress to that of other peoples layers, weight etc., that maybe my layers are too soft or too thick etc. for my weight.

Details you may need: I am a side sleeper only, I am 5’6 and 195 lbs with a mostly proportionate shape (even though I’m overweight) with a little more weight around the middle. Each latex layer is in its own cotton cover within the outer cotton/wool mattress cover and it is very tightly zippered. I have yet to buy a platform/box-spring to put the mattress on as I was waiting to be sure I liked it before I purchased an adjustable bed, so my mattress has been on a hardwood floor.

Please let me know if you need any more info etc. Thank you so much for your assistance, insight & kindness.

Hi Jlsgreenwhch,

Unfortunately, a forum is not the best place to resolve much more complex mattress issues and I don’t have the hours it would take to go through all the information you have provided in detail and provide any more meaningful insights than you would be able to get directly from Custom Sleep Design. It would take much more lengthy and more finely detailed “real time” conversations on a phone call which isn’t possible for me and even then if a quick scan of your previous posts are correct your mattress issues are complicated with health issues that may not be resolved with a mattress. As I mentioned in an earlier post … this would be like a doctor trying to diagnose an illness over a forum which isn’t possible without much more nuanced and interactive conversations that can take place in real time rather than having to go through a review of your posts each time to catch up with and “translate” all the complex information.

I also don’t know your weight or body type, whether you are male or female, or any more detailed information about the muscle and joint issues that are caused by your health issues (which muscles and which joints are the most affected) all of which would make a difference in any more detailed analysis of all the information you have provided and this would be important to know.

I’m happy to provide some more general thoughts though on each layering combination and also quite a few examples of other forum posts that may be able to give you some insights into what may be happening in combination with more detailed conversations with Bob who has much more knowledge of his mattresses and how different combinations may work for you than I have. The posts include …

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sealy-embody-introspection

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/got-my-ultimate-dreams-mattress-now-i-need-a-topper-any-suggetions

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/effects-of-layers-and-thickness

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/wondering-why-my-lower-back-is-achcy-in-the-morning-only

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/non-memory-foam-foam-mattress

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/all-latex-in-nyc

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/switched-to-foam-and-having-a-hard-time-avoiding-back-pain

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/new-latex-mattress-too-firm

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/help-with-sleepez-latex-mattress-decision

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/fine-tuning-guidance-with-sleepez10000

A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click this) which may also bring up more posts you can scan through that involve muscle and joint issues.

Other than this (which I realize may require a lot of reading and sorting through information when only some of it may apply to you) I also don’t mind providing some general thoughts about the specific combinations you have tried and the specific symptoms you experienced on each but I will need you to keep it more simple and discuss one layering combination at a time and per post or series of posts (with all the layers completely outlined for each combination we are discussing) until it’s time to start discussing the next combination. It would also be helpful to know more than just whether you were experiencing a specific symptom on each combination but also about the degree of change (if you are able to discern it) you noticed in each layering combination. Unfortunately I’m a little lost in the details and number of combinations you have outlined and I would need to keep things more simple and specific and go more step by step so I have a clearer idea of exactly each specific layering you have tried and exactly how each layer changed the symptoms you are experiencing.

So to go back a bit … here’s what I know about.

1. Your original layering

The symptoms you experienced with this were low back pain.

2. Next you removed the top layer completely which means that you were sleeping on …

It seems that this improved the lower back pain but you were not “comfortable”. Does this mean that you were experiencing pressure on this combination? A few more details of your experience in terms of pressure relief and back pain symptoms and any information about where you experienced any pressure symptoms would be helpful. What would be the difference between this layering and your “ideal”

3. Next it appears that you received the 32 ILD layer and replaced the 28 ILD and added the top layer on top again giving you …

Middle layer-19 ILD(36"), 32 ILD(44") with a 3" depth

On this if I understand correctly the lower back pain came back but I don’t know how your experience differed from your original layering with this combination. Was it better, worse, or unchanged and how did it change that you could see?

4. Next you mention …

This has confused me and I didn’t realize you had a single 28 ILD layer and I’m not sure of the exact layering you are referring to here. Was this a repeat of layering #2 or something else and if it was something else that you tried after #2 could you outline the exact layering so I can put it into context with the others you have tried.

Once I have more clarity with about the exact layering you are referring to here and your experiences on it (and it also confuses me that your hips were on the cut line which shouldn’t be happening because the cut line should be above your waist) … then we can proceed from here with the rest of your experiences … one very slow and specific step at a time so I have more clarity about each combination you have tried and more specific information about the changes in your experience on each one in the hopes of gaining some insights that in combination with your more discussions with Bob and more information about your own stats and details of your muscle and joint pain may help find the best possible combination.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you very much for your quick response. I think the best way to reply to you is to copy your post and respond in red.

Unfortunately, a forum is not the best place to resolve much more complex mattress issues and I don’t have the hours it would take to go through all the information you have provided in detail and provide any more meaningful insights than you would be able to get directly from Custom Sleep Design. It would take much more lengthy and more finely detailed “real time” conversations on a phone call which isn’t possible for me and even then if a quick scan of your previous posts are correct your mattress issues are complicated with health issues that may not be resolved with a mattress. As I mentioned in an earlier post … this would be like a doctor trying to diagnose an illness over a forum which isn’t possible without much more nuanced and interactive conversations that can take place in real time rather than having to go through a review of your posts each time to catch up with and “translate” all the complex information.
I understand what you are saying. Having read numerous posts where you have replied to people with suggestions on which layers try, move, too thick/thin etc. I felt you would be a great person to reach out to. As I said in my last post, the store I bought this mattress from doesn’t have much in the Idea Department. The only ideas I have been given were to first replace the middle 28 with a 32 and now replace the 32 with a 36 ILD. Any other options tried I have come up with myself.

I also don’t know your weight or body type, whether you are male or female, or any more detailed information about the muscle and joint issues that are caused by your health issues (which muscles and which joints are the most affected) all of which would make a difference in any more detailed analysis of all the information you have provided and this would be important to know.
Info from my last post: I am a side sleeper only, I am 5’6 and 195 lbs with a mostly proportionate shape (even though I’m overweight) with a little more weight around the middle.
I am a female and have muscle/joint issues best explained similar to fibro. Main joint pain is in smaller joints and knees which are not affected by the mattress. Muscle pain in arms, legs etc. can be affected by pressure, but at this point I can live with that. My major issue is the low back/hip pain I get from laying on mattress –which I only get after sleeping and do not have any other time.
It feels to me as though every layer I try seems to sag the longer I sleep on it. Each time it has taken less than a week to start sagging again. I will also add that I don’t have this back/hip pain when I sleep on my daughter’s bed (which is a firm S model), but I do get a lot of pressure points in her bed. Because of my history I was trying to get a healthy mattress that would last longer and provide some pressure relief…hence the purchase of my latex mattress.

I’m happy to provide some more general thoughts though on each layering combination and also quite a few examples of other forum posts that may be able to give you some insights into what may be happening in combination with more detailed conversations with Bob who has much more knowledge of his mattresses and how different combinations may work for you than I have. Conversations and numerous emails have not led me to any other ideas or combinations other than to first change the 28 to a 32, then the 32 to a 36.

The posts include …

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...mit=15&start=30#2559

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...suggetions.html#7828

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-…-thickness.html#7035

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...ning-only.html#12717

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...m-mattress.html#6698

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...ex-in-nyc.html#13370

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...back-pain.html#10089

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-…-too-firm.html#14758

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-…-decision.html#15700

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...epez10000.html#16749

A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click this) which may also bring up more posts you can scan through that involve muscle and joint issues.
Thank you very much for these links. I will definitely take the time to review all of them looking for any helpful morsel.

Other than this (which I realize may require a lot of reading and sorting through information when only some of it may apply to you) I also don’t mind providing some general thoughts about the specific combinations you have tried and the specific symptoms you experienced on each but I will need you to keep it more simple and discuss one layering combination at a time and per post or series of posts (with all the layers completely outlined for each combination we are discussing) until it’s time to start discussing the next combination. It would also be helpful to know more than just whether you were experiencing a specific symptom on each combination but also about the degree of change (if you are able to discern it) you noticed in each layering combination. Unfortunately I’m a little lost in the details and number of combinations you have outlined and I would need to keep things more simple and specific and go more step by step so I have a clearer idea of exactly each specific layering you have tried and exactly how each layer changed the symptoms you are experiencing. Ok, super

So to go back a bit … here’s what I know about.

1. Your original layering

Bottom layer-32 ILD(80") with a 6" depth Yes

The symptoms you experienced with this were low back pain. Yes
Mattress was creating a severe hammock effect in the lower back/hip area.

1. Next you removed the top layer completely which means that you were sleeping on …

It seems that this improved the lower back pain but you were not “comfortable”. Does this mean that you were experiencing pressure on this combination? A few more details of your experience in terms of pressure relief and back pain symptoms and any information about where you experienced any pressure symptoms would be helpful. What would be the difference between this layering and your “ideal” I should have been more specific instead of just saying not comfortable. Lower back/hip pain improved a bit for a short time then it was back to the raging aching back again. I was still not comfortable because I was falling and pressing into the cut lines. I personally feel I am way too heavy to be on a 2 inch or even 3 inch 14 or 19 ILD. When I was sleeping these layers they wrapped around the sides of me while my hip area went into the cuts and spread the two pieces apart creating more of a dip/hole. Pressure relief was good. My ideal would be to have a zoned type mattress (which is why I chose this one), that was softer in shoulder area without it splitting and rolling around me, with a firmer area under lumbar/back to keep me aligned that doesn’t sag and create a hammock. Based on other posters mattresses, I think I may be to heavy for even the 32 ILD core.

1. Next it appears that you received the 32 ILD layer and replaced the 28 ILD and added the top layer on top again giving you …

On this if I understand correctly the lower back pain came back but I don’t know how your experience differed from your original layering with this combination. Was it better, worse, or unchanged and how did it change that you could see? Swapping the 28 ILD with the 32 ILD made no difference at all compared to original combo. The cuts still spread apart when I laid on them and bed continued to hammock and cause the same back/hip pain.

1. Next you mention …
    I did remove the top layers that were on the mattress and slept only on the 32ILD 6" core and the 3"28ILD on top of that and things did improve a bit. I found that having all the different layers, sized, cuts etc that originally were in my mattress were just too much and too soft… I felt like I was laying in a hot dog roll most of the time and my hips were laying directly on the cuts which spread the latex in that area as well. While sleeping on just the 6" 32 & 3" 28 improved somewhat, I still felt I was not as comfortable as I should be and felt that my hip was most likely sinking in too far.

This has confused me and I didn’t realize you had a single 28 ILD layer and I’m not sure of the exact layering you are referring to here. Was this a repeat of layering #2 or something else and if it was something else that you tried after #2 could you outline the exact layering so I can put it into context with the other layering you have tried. I did this as my fourth option. I removed the top layer completely and moved the 28 ILD back and placed it at the head of the bed and moved the 19 to the foot of the bed so that more of my body was on the 28. This was best combination that I had tried up to that point, but I continued to have back/hip pain and again it felt saggy.

Once I have more clarity with about the exact layering you are referring to here and your experiences on it (and it also confuses me that your hips were on the cut line which shouldn’t be happening because the cut line should be above your waist) …The cut lines were an issue with all options where I used them. The cut on the top layer was at 31" and was just above my waist. The middle layer cut was exactly in the middle of my hip line at 36" and nowhere near to being above my waist. In order to get it above my waist I had to sleep more towards the bottom of the bed with my feet almost hanging off the end.
Brotherloo, who replied with a comment in this post and said his was cut at 32" and he 6’1. I am just barely 5’6 (5.5 & 1/2 to be exact, but rounded it up to 5’6).

then we can proceed from here with the rest of your experiences-Ok … one very slow and specific step at a time so I have more clarity about each combination you have tried and more specific information about the changes in your experienced on each one in the hopes of gaining some insights that in combination with your more discussions with Bob may help you find the best possible combination. [color=#ff0000] I hope I cleared up my post a bit more. It is a lot to try and explain and I know it is a lot for you to try and follow. This brings us up to"Fast forward to two weeks ago" in my post on 5/6.

Thank you very much for your expertise and assistance. I truly do appreciate and value your time.[/color]

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

Sorry I missed the information about your specs … sometimes I need to read longer posts quickly to keep up with the forum and I can easily miss part of them :slight_smile:

I would prefer it if you could re-list the specs on each combination you try so there is no possible misunderstanding about what you are using with each one.

If I understand this correctly then this is the same as combination #2 except the top and bottom of the middle layer is reversed.

So combination #4 is:

Top layer- 28 ILD (top 44"), 19 ILD (bottom 36"), with a 3" depth
Bottom layer-32 ILD (full 80") with a 6" depth

Where does the cut line line line up with (what part of your body) in this configuration?

When you say it “felt saggy” can you explain a little more what you mean? “Feeling saggy” is sometimes more of a subjective perception that may or may not be a clue to something else and I prefer to deal with more specific symptoms that are more objective (like your back/hip pain) but it could also indicate that you are sinking in with some part of your body more than you think you should (most likely hips on your side). Sometimes more subjective descriptions can be a little misleading because they can indicate something important or they could just indicate that you are experiencing something you aren’t used to but is part of the mattress design so it would help to clarify where it was feeling saggy.

If I’m reading you right … this layering was the best of the 4 so far. In other words you still had back/hip pain but it was less?

In most people the torso length doesn’t vary as much as the leg length so the smaller difference isn’t a surprise. The overlap of 5" is meant to put firmer foam above the softer foam to increase support in the recessed lumbar curve so the bottom cut is not meant to be above your waist , just the top one. It seems odd to me though that a 5" difference would put one cut above your waist and the other one directly under your hips as these points are normally further apart.

If you can confirm everything so far up to combination #4 … then if you can list the next combination you tried you tried and what you experienced on it we can keep going through the steps until I am up to date with all the specifics of your experience and combinations.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
As you requested, I am re-listing the specs for each mattress combination I have tried and hope it is easier to follow. I have tried to condense all my previous posts on this issue and make it as short and clear as possible. I still continue with bad low back pain and loss of sleep because of this pain. I dread having to go to sleep at night on this mattress knowing I will be in pain all night while I try and sleep through it. :frowning:

1. Original layering

Bottom layer- two 30x80" 32 ILD (80" split down the middle) with a 6" depth

Low back pain; pressure points good

2. Removed the top layer completely

Bottom layer-two 30x80" 32 ILD(80" split down the middle) with a 6" depth

Low back pain remained; pressure points good

3. Received a 32 ILD(44") layer and replaced the 28 ILD Middle layer and added the top layer back on

Bottom layer-two 30x80" 32 ILD (80" split down the middle) with a 6" depth

No noticeable difference from option 2 above

4. Removed top layer, removed new 32 ILD, took Option 2 and switched head & foot 19/28 ILD

Middle layer- 28 ILD (top 44"), 19 ILD (bottom 36"), with a 3" depth
Bottom layer- two 30x80" 32 ILD(80" split down the middle) with a 6" depth

Continued with low back pain; pressure points manageable

5. Determined that all the different cuts were not working for me and could feel the splits in the layers. My second latex change added to full queen size layers

Top layer- one 60x80 piece of 2" 28 ILD
Middle layer- one 60x80 piece of 3" 36 ILD
Bottom layer- two 30x80" 32 ILD(80" split down middle) with a 6" depth

Continued with same low back pain; pressure points manageable

6. I flipped top and middle layer of Option 5

Top layer- 60x80 piece of 3" 36 ILD
Middle layer- 60x80 piece of 2" 28 ILD

Continue with same back pain; now feeling pressure points but could possibly live with them if low back pain would stop.

After trying many combinations for several months trying to get this right I am at a loss of what to do next. I think I need more firmness for my lower back, but know for a fact going firmer will increase uncomfortable pressure points (especially shoulders and hips).

My next option to try is “option 7”. What do you think about this option? Do you have any ideas or thoughts on what else I could/should try?

7. Remove top and middle layer from Option 6 and replace with:

Middle layer- 60x80 piece of 6" 40 ILD

For some much needed relief and sleep I have slept on my daughters bed several times over the last few months. She has a Simmons (http://www.sleepys.com/en/Simmons-Beautyrest-World-Class-Glynn-Plush-Firm-Mattress_34617/ ) with a very inexpensive memory foam topper on it. I slept much better on her mattress and without the back pain. Is it possible that I just can’t tolerate a latex mattress? or do you think with enough tries and layer options I will be able to make this work eventually?

Thank you again for all of your assistance. I REALLY do appreciate it so much.

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

Sorry to hear your mattress is not working for you.

Funny how your description of how you feel zig zag shaped is the reason I started playing with zoning.  

If I were you, I would put your 3" 36 on the bottom, then put the 6" 32 on top of that. No top layer. That would be a pretty firm feeling mattress. If that helped keep your hips up, then you could try different comfort layers if you needed more pressure relief.

Also, keep in mind that you can feel zig zagged if your shoulders are held up too high from too much firmness. To me at least, shoulders not sinking, hips ok feels about the same as shoulders ok, hips sinking to much. Both not right.

Hope you find something you like.

brotherloo

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

As I was looking through and trying to “analyze” your comments earlier I called Bob because it just didn’t seem right to me that the cut line in your second layer was under your hips and he confirmed that it would be about 5" or so lower than the cut in the top layer zoning so I don’t quite understand how it ended up under your hips.

We also talked about the challenges you are facing (he recognized who you were from the descriptions I gave him about your layering and challenges) because when you first started working with him and testing the mattresses you wanted the softest possible mattress because of your fibromyalgia (so the original design was built to accommodate this both in the zoning and the layer softness) but as you slept on these it became apparent that the mattress was too soft for you and that you would need firmer layers than you originally thought. This means that your design has shifted in its layering from one end of the firmness scale to another.

He also confirmed that he has been working closely with you and you have exchanged several layers (which the design and their exchange policies make possible) so I will keep my comments to more general ones because it would be much more effective to work with one person who is as knowledgeable as he is rather than confusing the situation with “competing” suggestions from people (including me) who are not as knowledgeable as he is about the history of each of your combinations and the specifics of how they have worked for you. Your health situation and feedback on the combinations you have tried is also too complex to deal with adequately or effectively on a forum without extended voice communication.

It is also surprising to me that some very different layering combinations felt the same to you (such as options 2 and 3 which are very different mattresses and layering combinations) so its difficult for me to get a clear sense of what may be happening from a distance or use some of your feedback as a “pointer” without more extensive discussions or seeing you on the mattress. Some of your combinations also seem to me to be rather “random” (such as option #4 where the upper zone is firmer than the lower zone) and I’m a little confused at the reasoning behind them (which may be because I don’t have all the feedback or information I need). I also don’t understand the reasoning behind considering 40 LD in a top layer because this is a very firm comfort layer.

In general if you are dealing with support/alignment issues … then the most common and usually effective approach would be to increase the firmness of the middle or deeper support layers under the area that needs to be “lifted” but you seem to be going in the opposite direction and increasing the firmness of the comfort layers instead.

Are all of the combinations suggestions that Bob made to you specifically or are they combinations that you are trying on your own to see how they work?

When I have a chance I’ll look through your “history” once again some time tomorrow (time permitting because this type of detailed analysis takes more time than I usually have) and see if I can make a few more general comments that may be helpful.

Do you still have all the layers that you have discussed in your various combinations or have some of them gone back (it may help to have an “inventory” of what you currently have available).

More tomorrow.

Phoenix

Hi Jlsgreenwich,

I spent some time going over the information you have posted and for the most part I think that by far the “best” advice I could provide would be to reiterate that you need to be working directly with Bob which would be the primary and possibly only resource for information and guidance I would be using. Forums and “theory at a distance” are not a good place to deal with issues that have the level of complexity that your situation has and you situation requires more detailed and nuanced voice communication. Since he has also been working with you in person, has had the chance to see you on the mattress, and knows more about his mattresses and designs than anyone else, he is in a much better position to provide the kind of guidance that would be most helpful to you.

Some of the changes you have been making on your own are also confusing to me and I don’t know the reasoning behind them. I would avoid changes in layering that were based more on trial and error or on your own ideas or speculation about what may work that didn’t have a clear and accurate understanding, reason and logic behind them.

It is also be important to recognize that with the health challenges you are facing along with weight issues that compound them that a mattress won’t solve medical issues and the symptoms they create but can only be part of a larger or perhaps partial solution. In other words … it’s unlikely that there will be a perfect or “ideal” solution when it comes to a mattress for you. With the changeable nature of your symptoms and Fibromyalgia in general compounded with weight issues … you may find that one solution works well temporarily but when symptoms flare up or go through the normal fibromyalgia cycles or something changes in the short term or longer term, then the solution that was working well may not work as well any longer. The goal in other words is “best possible” because when there are medical issues involved then “ideal” for all circumstances may not exist and it’s important that your expectations for a mattress and its effect on your symptoms are realistic.

If a mattress provides neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions and you still have pain then something else is the cause behind the pain whether it is temporary or longer term. This becomes an issue for a health care provider rather than a mattress.

You have also gone from one extreme end of the scale (softest possible) to the opposite end of the scale (a brick) and because of your complex situation none of these have been ideal.

So the goal is “best possible” and for this you need more extended voice communication and suggestions along with more detailed and “nuanced” feedback that can “rate” one combination against the others so that it is more clear which one is “better” overall than the others. “Rating” them all only in terms of “I still have symptoms” without clear information and specific feedback about how each combination “ranks” in terms of the others doesn’t provide the kind of feedback that can use each combination as a “pointer” to the best possible solution … as imperfect as it may be.

Some general comments …

In general terms … primary support comes from the deeper layers and in most cases it would be counterproductive to put the firmest possible layers on the top of the mattress. they belong in the middle or lower layers. You now have firmer bottom layers that you can build on.

Secondary support comes from the thickness and firmness of the middle and top layers which “fill in the gaps” in your sleeping profile in all your sleeping positions and help maintain the best possible “neutral alignment” in the inward curves of the body in all your sleeping positions. You have several options as far as what to use here on top of the new firmer core.

Pressure relief also comes from the upper layers which contour to the body shape and form the pressure relieving cradle and re-distribute weight along the surface of the body to relieve the pressure points. You also have several options about what you can use here on top of the new firmer core.

Making changes in the right layers, for the right reasons, in the right order, and with enough time in between each combination is an important part of successful fine tuning or design changes. Making changes that don’t have good odds of success only “confuses” the situation … and your body … because the body also needs time to “catch up” to any changes you are making. Slow incremental steps where you have enough time to evaluate each step relative to the others and that has a well thought out plan behind them is the most likely path to success.

The goal is always to “balance” support with alignment (which are conflicting because one “allows” sinking in and the other one “stops” sinking in) and to make the changes that are the most likely to be helpful with the specific symptoms you are experiencing. You won’t improve primary support for example by making the top layers firmer. It’s also very important to take a very slow step by step approach and make sure you sleep on each combination for long enough that your experience is more indicative of the variations in your longer term experience with fibromyalgia symptoms compounded by weight (which can change or cycle over time regardless of your mattress and would be happening on any mattress) rather than just a short term indication of how it feels for a few days. It’s also important to provide the best possible feedback about each combination because if the feedback only says “this is the same as that one” and doesn’t include where and how each one was different from the others in relative “better or worse” terms instead of “good and bad” terms then it doesn’t provide a clear indication of whether a certain combination is moving in the right direction.

So you are now “in effect” at the beginning of a new beginning and working on variations of your second mattress with a firmer support layer.

The first mattress was focused towards “soft” in all the layers and creating the most pressure relieving mattress that could keep you in good alignment (sinking in evenly) in all your sleeping positions. This combination put pressure relief as a primary factor over all the others. These were all variations on the same “theme” of “soft” to better accommodate your preferences and what you believed were your primary “needs” at the time to help with the pressure and joint issues and sensitivities that are typical of fibromyalgia.

You are only now beginning the process of designing your “second” mattress which is more focused towards “firmer support” … at least in the deeper layers … so that you can test variations around firmer support and possibly transition layers. This would be more suitable for your weight if fibromyalgia was not a compounding factor and has better odds of relieving back and alignment issues than any combination that is built on top of a 32 ILD core. In other words … I would treat all variations on a 40 ILD base layer as a new beginning because it will affect everything else that goes on top of it (rather than thinking of this as a continuation of what you were working with before which was all based on a 32 ILD base layer).

I would also keep in mind that not only your spine but your joints as well need to be in neutral alignment and sometimes alignment issues can “masquerade” as pressure issues if the joints are hyperextended from their “neutral” position (such as the hips) and with the inflammation that can go with fibromyalgia this can be a real issue.

I would also consider using pillows under the knees on your back and between the knees on your side to help with neutral alignment.

So now you have firmer layers to work with in the support layer of the mattress and in effect are starting all over again with a different design that has better odds of success given your experiences.

The 40 ILD is designed to go on the bottom with softer transition and comfort layers on top. I would not use these firmer support layers anywhere but on the bottom and then build on top of them.

Beyond these … you have many options from your previous combinations that you can use in your middle transition layers and top layers and between all the zoned and unzoned options you have available you will have the chance to decide which of the combinations on your “second mattress” is the best possible outcome of all the new options available to you.

Even after reading all your combinations I still don’t have a clear idea of which combination was the “best”, second best, and third best … and why. This is the type of “relative” information that would be most helpful to help Bob help you most effectively.

You are fortunate that he is close enough to you that he has been able to deliver all the replacement layers, see you on the mattress, and talk with you in person, and I would take full advantage of his expertise rather than confusing the issue with “advice” coming from multiple directions. Again … I would treat your new firmer layers as a new beginning of a new design which provides firmer support layers (40 ILD on the bottom) and then begin to work towards the combinations on top of this that have the best chance of success using his help and guidance. I would avoid more “random” changes without discussing them with him first.

So to reiterate my suggestions in point form …

1. Work closely with Bob on the phone (not email) to the exclusion of any other specific advice.
  2. Put the 6" 40 ILD core on the bottom and keep it there and build on top of it as if you were starting from the beginning again (which you are with what is in effect your “second” mattress)
  3. Give each combination at least a week and preferably longer so that you have better odds of evaluating how it will work in the longer term as your “normal” fibromyalgia symptoms change and cycle.
  4. Don’t use any combination that you haven’t discussed first with Bob (on the phone and not with email) as this will only confuse the issue.
  5. Focus on describing your specific symptoms when you talk with Bob and avoid speculating about (or trying) possible layering combinations other than the ones that he suggests or you have specifically discussed.
  6. Make sure you “rate” or “rank” each combination relative to the others in terms of “better or worse” and in terms of your experience of pressure relief and alignment issues rather than just rating them as “good or bad” without reference to each other.

If you take this slowly and step by step and begin to test the brand new combinations that your new core layers make possible (zoned and unzoned) then you will have the best possible odds of success. You really are in good and knowledgeable hands … and it’s really a matter of doing what you do best (reporting and ranking your experience on each new combination without any speculation) and letting them do what they do best which is suggesting the next combinations in the process that can lead to the best possible outcome.

Phoenix