Nest Alexander Signature hybrid (foam, plush/soft)

Hi mattress party people!

Does anyone have experience on the Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid (foam, not latex), in the plush feel? I know others’ experiences only go so far, but no show room near me and I am pivoting from an all latex mattress after having a reaction to trying them out (we could discuss that in another thread).

I’m a 6’1, 175lb side sleeper with much more info under my Hopeful DIY guy thread. Hoping to have some foam comfort with a bit of temperature control. I like a bit of the bounce from the hybrids but hoping the amount of foam on top of the AS Hybrid will help with a bit of motion isolation as well.

As always, comments from @Sensei and @Phoenix and anyone else more than welcome.

Hi again cgreen1.

I know you’re looking for others to weigh in with their experiences on the Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid (foam) in the plush feel. I pulled these threads/posts for you that might be useful in the meantime!

Post #6 – this person shares their experience with the foam Alexander Signature Hybrid. They purchased a medium firmness but offered other feedback as well you may find useful.

You can see some comments about the Alexander Signature Hybrid in post #26 here

And there is also this thread discussing the material breakdown in the foam hybrid.

Hoping others will weigh in with their experiences as well!

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Thanks for your links. I did use the search function and tried to come up with as many as possible. The fact that Nest is a trusted member of TMU and I have several in real life people who love theirs, I pulled the trigger on the ASH Plush. I’m 6’1 and 180lbs, and I know most people recommend the medium in that case. I’m a pretty consistent side sleeper with broader than average shoulders, so I starting with the plush. I traditionally prefer a softer top and feel so hopefully the spinal support will still be there.

I think the configuration has changed since the most of the posts you’ve linked to. The current layer specs are as follows on Nest’s website:

.1" - Super Soft Quilted Thermic Phase Change
.4" - 4 lb. Luxury Memory Foam
3" - 3.5 lb. - 4 lb. TitanChil Endurance Foam®
1" - 3 lb. SmartFlow Support Foam
8" - Quantum Edge Pocketed Support Coils
1" - 3 lb. Base Support Foam

The sub -4lb densities are a little concerning for longevity reasons, but if we get a reasonable time period out of the mattress I will be satisfied. It’s in transit so I will certainly update the forum throughout the break-in period. I was really excited for my DIY latex mattress, but after having a questionable reaction to test mattresses and known sensitivities to latex, I talked to a few of my healthcare colleagues that suggested the anxiety alone may not be worth it. I

'll keep future posts in this thread focused on the Nest ASH.

Hi cgreen1.

Congratulations on your new Alexander Hybrid! :lol:
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while and allow for the adjustment period.

Thanks for sharing the new specifications. We are working at a way to provide updated specs, but still keep old specs in the forums as a reference for the people who have the old models. With your BMI of 23.75, I wouldn’t be worried about the sub 4 lb densities, since they’re not memory foam. You can see that their memory foam components are still 4 lb. The sub-4 lb foams are still far above our minimum recommendation of 1.8 lbs.

You should still expect quite a long life from this mattress!

Phoenix

Update from night 1 of sleeping on the Nest ASH Plush. Two boxes arrived, the bottom foam layer in one box, then the spring/foam topper combo in the other box. Other than the spring/foam box being a bit heavy, it was easy to unbox and set up. We are using a bamboo mattress protector with high quality linen sheets, both acquired through suggested links in other threads by @Phoenix. I know we are supposed to give it at least 30 days and of course we will, but here are some initial impressions.
[u]Good[u]
Very well temperature controlled. I felt temp regulated all night, not too hot or too cold. This is a huge plus for us as we both sleep a bit hot. The weather has turned a bit cooler here in NC, but my initial impression is mattress is very temperature neutral.
The support feels excellent, with low back feeling nice and supported on my side or my back.
Little to no smell. If there was any, it didn’t have to “off-gas” much, we unboxed it, grabbed some sushi and watched a few shows, then got in bed. No issues with smell going to bed.

Not as good
I felt the comfort, at least initially, isn’t quite where I’d like it to be. We got the plush version of the ASH and it still feels rather firm. I want to be fair and say since I’ve slept on memory foam (TP) and tried some all latex beds in the past, I know a hybrid won’t capture those exact feels. Still, for being “plush,” I felt like lying on my side my shoulders didn’t quite have enough ‘sink’ to be really comfortable. I’m not sure if adding an additional topper will throw off the balance of the existing layers, but perhaps that’s something I could discuss with Nest after 30 days if it still seems like an issue. Perhaps over the coming weeks things will soften a bit and feel a bit more comfortable on my side. I recognize I have broader than average shoulders, so it may be more of a unique situation that I need to fin d a remedy to versus how average sized shoulder people might react to this mattress.

That’s it for now. I wanted to keep this thread going as I know prospective mattress shoppers can get frustrated when these threads go dead, especially if it’s a mattress you’re considering.

Wondering if the mods or any other members have thoughts on adding additional topper in this situation for added comfort. Otherwise will update everyone in a few weeks.
Be well!

@cgreen1 - Congrats on your new Nest ASH Plush, and thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Regarding your issue with its comfort and perceived firmness there is an expected break-in of the comfort layer which I personally experienced with the Nest ASH Medium. The foam used has an initial level of firmness which will relax and soften with use, when I first tried mine I honestly thought that it must have been mislabeled as medium since it was so firm. Nest sales reps suggested that if I wanted to facilitate the process that I crawl up and down the mattress on my hands and knees covering its entire surface and repeat that a few times, explaining that they do that in their showrooms with new models. Once I did that I noticed a significant change for the better with much improved compliance and comfort. So if you want you can just wait and it should soften with use or you can crawl the mattress to expedite the process. Hope it continues to improve for you and ultimately meet your needs well.

Regards,

• Bill

Thanks so much for your reply, Bill. I did kind of remember reading threads that spoke about a breaking in period. I certainly wasn’t completely disheartened with the night 1 sleep experience. I’ll do some crawling around this weekend to see if we can loosen it up a bit. It’s funny you mention the perceived mislabeling. I bet that is a common thought people have. I’m looking forward to see how things develop over the next couple of weeks. Are you still sleeping on your ASH Medium? I was on the fence of Medium vs Plush figured I would start with plush and adjust as needed from there.
Thanks,
Christopher

I tried the Nest ASH medium a couple of years ago (the design has evolved since then) when they had a showroom in Chicago. I’m a large guy and the way it was at the time the medium didn’t have sufficient support for me and the firm was too hard. That wouldn’t really have any relevance to their current offering.

Thank you for sharing your research about the ASH. We are looking at purchasing one ourselves and wondered what your current thoughts on this mattress are.

I think it has broken in nicely. It’s the most comfortable hybrid I’ve spent any considerable time with. My biggest pros are: excellent temperature control; I’m using a high quality bamboo liner and linen sheets that were both worth the premium price; there’s an excellent balance between support and spring; motion control is good for a hybrid (don’t expect memory foam level dampening but the trade off for response is a net positive).

My only “con” is it’s still not quite as conforming as I’d like for my ideal mattress. I put the scare quotes because I don’t expect to get memory foam qualities from a hybrid. I’ve considered adding a MF topper but I’m not sure how it would mess with the balance of the rest of the construction. I certainly enjoy sleeping cooler, so I’m not quite sure how much of that I would keep if I slapped an MF later on top. If anyone wants to chime in on that, it might be an interesting topic!

That being said, very happy with my ASH plush purchase. It’s nearly impossible to find the Goldie locks mattress on a normal person budget, so just do your research and go with what matches your needs the closest.

@cgreen1 Thank you for your fast and informative response! You have been so helpful!

@cgreen1 I forgot to ask-what foundation do you use with your Nest ASH? Thanks again!

Hey no problem. I’m using the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K5Z2ZH0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title