Nest Alexander version 2

I’ve seen several threads on the site about this Nest Alexander mattress:

https://mattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

But they were all discussing version 1, before it was refreshed earlier this year. Wondering what the consensus is for this new version? I’m sure Phoenix is ready to bust out his ‘only you can feel what you feel on a mattress’ canned response, but I think I can save him the trouble :slight_smile: I am not asking about the comfort level, or for any personal recommendations; I’m only asking if the materials are of high enough quality that this mattress is objectively worth considering (the medium firmness option).

I seem to recall a post by Phoenix (which I’m too lazy to look up) suggesting that the Hybrid model update might’ve been a slight step backwards in quality from the previous version, so I’m really curious about this one.

Hi worknman,

It seems like you don’t like answers that I have used on other occasions to answer comments or questions that have been asked many times before and you would prefer your very own “unique” reply? If I change a word or two would you feel a little better?

You also forgot the second part of the reply I usually use for questions about online mattresses that ask about which firmness level to choose or how a mattress “feels” which starts with …

but I won’t “bore” you with the rest of the reply since it doesn’t apply to your question anyway.

There is also a common reply I use when people ask about firmness levels as well that starts with …

But once again it isn’t connected with what you are asking so I won’t “bore you” with the rest of this reply either.

I suppose I could even use a “shotgun” approach and include every one the hundreds of reference posts I often use to answer common questions and just hope that one or more of them applied to you.

Finally I suppose I could just leave your questions unanswered since you appear to enjoy criticism or sarcasm more than gratitude and let you find your own answers by searching the forum or trying to find other reliable and factual sources of information.

In this case though you are asking about the quality/density and durability of the materials so I don’t need to “bust out” that “canned” reply and you don’t need any “consensus feedback” since assessing the durability of a mattress is just a matter of knowing the density of the memory foam and polyfoam in the mattress and comparing them to the quality/durability guidelines here (sorry for linking you to guidelines that I didn’t write especially for you).

I should also mention that this information is available on their site as well (with the exception of the density of the 3" 1.8 lb hole punched polyfoam in ther luxury firm mattress).

The soft version of the Nest Alexander Signature uses …

1.5" polyfoam quilted to the cover
2" 4 lb gel memory foam
2" 4 lb memory foam
3" 1.8 lb hole punched polyfoam
4" 1.8 lb polyfoam.

The medium version uses …

2" polyfoam quilted to the cover
4" 4 lb gel memory foam
1" 4 lb memory foam
2" 1.8 lb hole punched polyfoam
4" 1.8 lb polyfoam

The luxury firm version uses …

1.5" polyfoam quilted to the cover
2" 4 lb gel memory foam
3" 1.8 lb hole punched polyfoam
4" 1.8 lb polyfoam.

All of these are good quality materials that would be suitable for more average weight ranges but I would be cautious for those that are in higher weight/BMI ranges (a BMI of 30 or more).

The medium version also uses a little thicker 2" quilting layer and I would normally suggest no more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density layers in a mattress and once there is about 2" or more of lower quality/density foam (less than 1.8 lb density for polyfoam in a one sided mattress) or “unknown” materials in the upper layers of a mattress then the odds of premature foam softening and breakdown would be a little higher.

I hope that this “satisfies” your criteria for forum answers that you consider to be “appropriate” :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I sure hope that nobody else asks the same question because I might just feel “compelled” to link them to this post instead of writing a new and “unique” reply.

Sorry if my original post came off as snarky… wasn’t my intention. I really was trying to save you a little bit of copy/pasting :slight_smile:

The density of that top layer isn’t listed… is that why you’re calling it out as lower quality or unknown?

Hi worknman,

No problem. The “cut and paste” you were referring to is one of several that I use when people ask about firmness levels or questions like “would this mattress be comfortable” or other similar questions that are about how a mattress “feels” but your question was about durability which is a very different issue so it’s not something that I would have normally used in my reply to you anyway.

Yes. It’s a polyfoam layer that is quilted to the cover and quilting foam is usually a lower density foam. If the quilting layer (or any layer) is lower density or “unknown density” and is only “about an inch or so” or less then it doesn’t really have a meaningful effect on the durability of a mattress and just affects the “surface feel” of the mattress but since quilting a foam also pre compresses the foam it also makes it a little more durable so in practical terms I normally use about 1.5" as a maximum thickness guideline. 2" is just on the other side of the line I normally look for so there would be some additional risk in terms of durability because with a 2" layer foam softening and breakdown can have a bigger effect on the loss of comfort and support over time than it would if the layer was thinner. If the quilting polyfoam layer was 1.8 lb density or higher then it wouldn’t make any difference but it would be very unusual to see this with quilting foam.

Phoenix