Nest Bedding Q-Mattress and Bed-in-a-Box

Continuing my hunt for the perfect mattress, I had some time to hop over to a local dealer, Nest Bedding, on a break today and sample their “Q Mattress” and “Bed-in-a-Box”.

A quick report:

Bed-in-a-Box : All Talalay. Very plush. Probably good for lighter-weight side sleepers. Not enough support in either firmness option for me as a back sleeper.

Q-Mattress : All Talalay. Options for natural or blended. The salesman said there is no difference in feel between them. When questioned why people are willing to pay $900 extra for natural, he said some people just prefer things that are all natural. There is one base configuration for this mattress: firm on top, medium on bottom. I’m a bigger guy, and even for me this was too firm. Then, there is an option for a soft topper over this base configuration. And this felt soft yet supportive, but for me, just a tad too soft. And in fact, I suspected than configuring it with the firm rubber underneath and the medium rubber on top would have been just right - but he wasn’t willing to rearrange the layers so I could try it that way. Oh well.

At this point, I’m fairly certain that all Talalay is going to be my preference. However I have another dealer yet to try locally who does offer Talalay/Dunlop hybrids - “The Natural Mattress Store”. I’m going to try out their “Awareness” model hopefully soon…

Hi LJGMDAD,

This mattress doesn’t use Talalay latex. They use 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop. There is more about the Purity mattress in post #2 here and they are similar to the Spindle Abscond mattress here which also uses the same type of latex but has different comfort/support options, a lower price, and has a layer exchange policy as well.

These are also Dunlop latex mattresses (not Talalay). One version uses certified organic Dunlop and the other version uses a natural/synthetic blend of Dunlop latex (I believe it is a 50/50 blend).

You certainly have many good options in the area but the mattresses you tested seem to indicate a preference for Dunlop (unless you’ve also tested Talalay latex).

Phoenix

WOW!!! The guy at Nest Bedding told me everything in the store was Talalay and that they didn’t have any Dunlop products. So he literally has no idea what he’s selling?!?

In fact, I sampled Talalay vs Dunlop just two days back at a different dealer, and had a strong preference for Talalay as the Dunlop felt like a trampoline!! What I felt today was definitely not a trampoline sensation, either.

Confused! :blink:

OK I have confirmed from this website that at least the Q3 topper is indeed Talalay:

see Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress

Hmm, and indeed the mattress is sourced from Latex Green - so it must be Dunlop, right? Geez, this guy really doesn’t even know his own product!!!

I won’t be going back. But, hey, at least it was the Talalay topper that I liked best even if it was slighty soft. :slight_smile:

Hi LJGMDAD,

[quote]OK I have confirmed from this website that at least the Q3 topper is indeed Talalay:

see Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress [/quote]

The topper may be Talalay but the layers inside the mattress are Dunlop.

It may be worthwhile calling to talk with Joe (the owner) to let him know the information you were given because he would probably want to know that some of his staff weren’t providing accurate information (although it’s also possible that their communication wasn’t clear and what they said didn’t come across as clearly as it could have since the specifics of their mattresses are listed on their site). NOTE ADDED: They are also now a member of this site

The firmness of the latex and the overall design of the mattress (including the cover) can affect how “bouncy” or “springy” it feels and if there is a box spring under the mattress (with actual springs) then it can make a difference as well.

Phoenix

One of my pet peeves is sales people who don’t know their product. And for all I know, everything else the guy said about warranty and exchanges was wrong too. Now I don’t know Joe, but apparently he has decided to hire kids to work the slow weekday afternoon shifts and has provided no training whatsoever… It reflects poorly on him, and I won’t be going back. No need to call. There are just too many other options available, and he should already know that.

I do not hire kids for my stores. In each of my stores I have highly trained, mature adults with industry experience. We offer talalay with the pure latex bliss and the Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress which is available in blended or certified GOLS organic latex, and it comes in either all dunlop or dunlop with a talalay latex topper. All this information is on our website.

And you also made a comment that the salesperson wasn’t “willing” to rearrange the layers. However, both the firm and medium configurations are next to each other, so there is no reason or need to rearrange the layers. Also, bed in a box does not make a talalay mattress. And yes, the price difference is the difference of all organic components.

And yet, your highly trained salesperson told me there was no Dunlop at all in the store. When asked about warranties, he had to shuffle through papers in the desk in order to look it up. When asked about a medium configuration Q, he said there wasn’t one to sample and in your next post you say there was. And that some or all of this information is on your website, frankly, makes this even worse. Your sales associate should already know that. I wasn’t shopping online - I was in your brick and mortar store getting all my information from him!

If he’s highly trained, well OK. I’ll just take your word for it. But based on my experience, he does not seem to have retained much of that training.

And how would I know that? When I asked your highly trained sales associate about a medium configuration, he told me there wasn’t one in the store at that time. This is why I asked if layers could be rearranged!

For what it’s worth, I stopped by the Mountain View store yesterday, about 10 minutes before closing, and the salesman was extremely helpful. He showed me all of the different latex options, and had me try them out. He didn’t try to rush me, even when I ended up staying about 5 minutes after official closing, and he was extremely helpful. He was also familiar with this website.

Hi g7515604,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at their store … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix