My partner and I are planning on purchasing a new king size bed. We just bought a new home and are moving our current Queen size bed (innerspring, Macy’s Hotel Collection Plush from 4 years ago) to our guest room.
As far as information about us: I am a guy of about 5’6" and 140lb, my partner is a guy also and about 5’7" and 170lb. We are both side sleepers, we sleep close together. We sleep on our right side about 50% of the time, left about 40% of the time, and back or other position maybe 5-10%. We both tend to sleep hot, but do have a fan in our master bedroom to help regulate that.
We have been going to various mattress stores (Sleep Train, Sears, Macy’s, etc, etc), looking at sleeplikethedead.com and this forum. We have narrowed down to two or three different mattresses:
- Swan Luxury Organic Mattress ($2,399) from Nest Bedding. We really liked the configuration it had in their Albany store (I think it was their “soft” latex). We also liked that it was more “bouncy” then the memory foam beds, which seems like it would be much better then foam for things other then sleeping.
- [b]Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe/b: Our concern with this is, as stated above, that we both tend to be hot"ish" sleepers, also that as it gets even more broken in then the store, it may get too soft. We laid on this for a good 10 minutes in the store and really like the soft feel of it.
- [b]Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme Breeze/b: Same as #2, but somewhat more firm. We kind of like halfway between these, but of course, Tempurpedic does not make it.
So after extensive research on this site we also went to Bay Bedding (we are in the southern part of SF bay area), but did not really care for the shop. We have also found [b]DreamFoam/b(13" ultimate dreams), SelectFoam(Cirrus Luxe ES $2,299), and [b]Brooklyn Bedding/b.
Here are our thoughts on them and we would like some help/opinions/etc
- Nest Bedding: Not sure how long they have been around, how good is the quality of their products? Is the zipper thing actually a good idea to be able to adjust/replace/etc latex, or is it just a gimmick?
- Tempurpedic: Lets ignore the price for now and assume these are both 2K each. Is the quality of these much better then SelectFoam or DreamFoam? The Dreamfoam, even if the Tempurpedic was $2000 is still less then half the price. I have seen a lot of comments about the Tempurpedics having a lot of toxic components that can potentially be harmful, is this true? Is the “Breeze” simply a fancy way of them saying they have gel-infused foam?
- DreamFoam I saw that large post talking about the 13" Ultimate Dreams. At $900 it seems perfect. From what I was reading, the firmness is roughly between the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and Luxe, is this true? I thought I also saw that their foam is the gel-infused type stuff to sleep cooler also? How is the quality of the material in this bed? Does it compare to Tempurpedic (will it last anywhere near the same length?) Also, it looks like for $17 more I can get it sold by Amazon, I believe that means that I can return it (as opposed to if I save $17 and buy direct from DreamFoam on Amazon)
- SelectFoam For the purposes of this discussion, lets assume they are the same price as Tempurpedic. Is there any benefit to them over Tempurpedic?
- Brooklyn Bedding Looks like they are similar to the Nest bed we liked, just have no idea which one is comparable or what the differences are
From Brooklyn Bedding’s website, it is kind of hard to tell the difference with the different levels.