New Budget Latex Mattress Advice

I just stumbled upon the site looking for a new mattress to buy, but I’m glad I did because now I feel much more confident in getting a high quality mattress. The budget is around $600, but I just wanted to make sure I looked at and compared all my options before I narrow it down and buy. I was originally leaning toward the Dreamfoam 12 in 1, but the Ultimate Dream seems to have great recommendations by everyone here and seems like a more durable option in the long run. Any suggestions for latex beds in the $600-700 max budget?

Hi reijam,

I’m not sure what size you are looking for because that would make a significant difference in the price as well and as you probably know your budget is on the low side to have many latex choices but posts #3 and #4 here include the better lower budget latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of (including Dreamfoam). Just for reference as well post #4 here includes some of the lower budget polyfoam and memory foam mattresses I’m aware of as well (including the 12 in 1 customizable).

I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with how to make the best possible choice in any budget range.

Phoenix

Yea…I realize it is on the really low side for a queen mattress. I looked at a lot of different posts and all of the tutorials so I think I have kind of narrowed down the choices to a latex/foam hybrid. Thanks for the links, I had looked into those other latex hybrid options, but many of them are just a bit out of my price range. I know I’m probably wrong, but it seems like the Ultimate Dream is one of the only ones that I can afford (but it looks like a good option for me). I am leaning more toward the ultimate dream than the polyfoam based on the durability and properties of latex that I’ve been reading about.

Hi reijam,

Latex is certainly a durable material and as you know the Ultimate Dreams latex hybrid is also a very good quality/value choice. If you do decide to pull the trigger then I would make sure you call them so they can “talk you through” the firmness choice that would have the best chance or being a good match for you.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :).

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I’m new to this and just wanted to be sure there wasn’t any other options I was missing in the $700 range. I’ll be contacting Dreamfoam and hopefully get the firmness figured out so I can get this ordered.

I’m talking with Chuck now to figure out the comfort level. I live in Hawaii, so I think my options are limited to the more major brands for comparison. Anyone have any experience comparing the major brand models that would correlate to a certain Ultimate Dreams comfort level? I’m currently sleeping on a Simmons 3.0 Deep Sleep Top Plush, but I can’t find much information on it. Just curious what level this might be for the Ultimate Dreams

Hi reijam,

To make a meaningful comparison you would need to find a local mattress that used a blended Talalay latex comfort layer in a similar thickness, a similar firmness level for the support layers, and that had a similar quilted cover. There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but if a mattress you test locally uses a substantially different design or different materials then it would be a very subjective comparison at best. While I know how tempting it can be … I would also be strongly aware that each person can have a very different idea about how two different mattresses compare.

If you have a general sense from your testing that you tend to prefer mattresses that the stores you are visiting indicate are in a softer, medium, or firmer range and this is a clear pattern then I would include this information in your conversation with Chuck so you can help them to help you make the best possible choice.

If you do decide to do some local testing then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Hawaiian Islands are listed in post #269 here but you would need to call them to see if any of them carry a latex hybrid on their floor that would be similar and and that they would disclose the type and blend and firmness level of the latex to make more “exact” comparisons.

Phoenix

So we decided on getting the comfort level 5 for the Ultimate Dreams. Thanks for all the advice Phoenix. It was really helpful. I’ve been reading up on mattress foundation and see that you want the slats 3" or less for a bed foundation. I am looking into having a cheap platform bed frame made locally. Since it can be custom, I was wondering what the optimal foundation would be (slat width/ slat spacing?) It could also come in a full wood flat bottom, but I see that you don’t recommend that due to lack of air circulation. Here is the site I am looking at. Also does the wood type matter? Which would you choose from: Pine, Birch, or Maple?

Here is the site I am looking at:

http://www.thealohaboy.com/beds/customizeIt

Hi reijam,

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

The 3" guidelines applies more to mattresses that have a latex support core and mattresses with a polyfoam support core are stiffer and will be OK with gaps that are a little wider (although smaller gaps are still better and more evenly supportive). There is more about the types of support systems and foundations that are best for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here and the posts it links to (in the second paragraph).

In general the “bottom line” goal for a support system for a foam mattress is to have the least possible flex, good airflow under the mattress, good center support, and an evenly supportive surface that doesn’t allow the mattress to sag into any gaps. Part of this would depend on the number, type, thickness, and width of the slats but part of this also depends on the quality and relative strength of the wood. There is more information about the relative bending strength and stiffness of different types of wood here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

So we got the mattress and let it air out a day or so, but it seems very very stiff ( we got level 5). We only slept on it twice, but I kept waking up in the middle of the night and woke up with a sore lower back the next day. Do we need to break in the mattress more? For all the others who bought the Ultimate Dreams, did your mattress soften up after the initial use?

I know we barely slept on it so far, but I’m going to walk around on it when I get back today.

Hi reijam,

All mattresses will go through an initial break in period over the course of the first few weeks and your body will also go through an adjustment period with any new sleeping surface over the first few weeks as well.

As you probably know from your research here … what feels firm or soft for different people can vary widely but there is more information and suggestions about a new mattress that is firmer than you expected in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix