New innerspring mattress advice

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a king sized innerspring mattress. Because of covid, I am not in a position to go to stores to try mattresses out (this is nonnegotiable).
My specs are:
me: 5’4", 140 lb, mostly side sleeper, have bought my last two mattresses way too firm.
husband: 5’7", ~155-160 lb, active in his sleep, sleeps hot, not fussy about bed firmness.
Neither one of us has a bad back or other injuries that affect sleep, but as I said, I struggle to sleep on hard mattresses and do not adjust to that over time. (We relocated due to covid and our mattress at home is still as hard as a board 2 years later).
I’ve always liked the bouncy feeling of innerspring mattresses; bought a tempurpedic once and it gave me terrible backpain, so I’m not considering foam/non-spring mattresses.
I am considering the Shevlin Classic Plus (Mattress Collections - Shovlin Mattress Factory) with an extra topper. This mattress was recommended by the proprietor, given the info above (I asked about the firmness given my desire to avoid a too-hard bed, hence the topper). To those who know, does this make sense? If not, are there better alternatives available in the Long Island NY area?
Thanks for your input! I wish I could go try out mattresses-- but truth be told, I’ve selected my last two mattresses, and in both cases, I chose poorly and selected beds that sleep like boards.

Hi elenim.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: Seems like you have a bit of an overdue start with your mattress shopping journey.

Thanks for sharing your specs and your past experience with mattresses. With covid’s “non-negotiable” restrictions many people are facing, the next best thing is just what you already did…to have a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using. You already have a good idea of what feel and materials you like so you are well ahead and it would not be very difficult to narrow down a few good finalists.

When choosing something by phone or online, it’s even more important to deal with an experienced, knowledgeable retailer/manufacturer who takes into consideration your specific circumstances and helps you find something that they honestly think will serve you well. Nice to see that you already reached out to Shovlin with your specs and preferences!

Shovlin Mattress is one of our Trusted Members which means I think very highly of them and believe they compete well with the best in the industry. I would also trust that they’ve given you thoughtful advice based on the information you provided them.

I would also suggest – if you haven’t already – reading up about sleeping positions and the associated comfort needs for side sleepers. This information may help you better understand why you tend to select mattresses “that sleep like boards” :lol:

You are certainly in good hands with Shovlin, but let us know if you have additional questions.
Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you so much for this thoughtful reply and for the link on sleeping positions.

Hi elenim.

You are very welcome. Looking forward to future updates you may have as you progress through your mattress shopping journey.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
It’s no longer clear that Shovlin can deliver to us and pick up our old mattress. Given the specs above, do alternatives come to mind? We need to order soon one way or another; will go with Shovlin if possible but will order some mattress asap.
Thanks!

Hi Elenim.

Oh that’ too bad. There are many delivery disruptions at the moment. I hope all works out with Shovlin.

As you probably know by now we don’t make specific mattress recommendations as there are too many factors involved and ultimately you are the only one who can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) :slight_smile:

I’d make sure to jot down mattress specifications listed about the Shovlin mattress you were considering, There should be some comparable products offered by some of our other Trusted Members.

A few that come to mind who you may want to check out are Flexus, Ghost Bed and Quality Sleep Shop.

There are certainly several I have missed and the above recommendations are by no means comprehensive.

Looking forward to updates and, again, really hoping that it works out with Shovlin!

Phoenix

Thanks again, Phoenix.
Shovlin came through and delivered the bed. Initial update: 3 days in, I am feeling a little stiff in my back; husband is already very happy. I’ll try to remember to come back in a few weeks with another update. Fingers crossed. My husband is very happy with this one.

I emailed shovlin & am waiting for a response but I like what I’m seeing on thier website. I see they use innerspring vs. Pocketed coil. Does anyone know if their innerspring/ hybrid mattresses are adjustable base compatible? I know in general innerspring are usually not compatible but saatva 11.5" innerspring is adjustable base compatible so it is possible.

Just an update on the Shovlin mattress. It is a great mattress with one BUT: there is a lot of motion transfer if you have two people sleeping in the same bed. FYI for anyone considering them! We are considering Room and Board for our next purchase.

Hi elenim!

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is so valuable to others to be able to read these kinds of testimonials and experiencing.

NikkiTMU