New king bed needed

We purchased our first king bed 8 yrs. ago. Today it is uncomfortable and has been for awhile. It was a Simmons Beautyrest Black with a latex topper for comfort. Thought we would have for quite awhile. Called the dept. store we purchased it and they sent an independent evaluator out. Long story short they are replacing with a comparable mattress or we can apply full $ amt. towards another. Thought we had it nailed last time, but your site is most informative! Think we want an innerspring for support but need comfort, since we are both 59. My husband is a larger guy also. We have a low profile box spring they are not replacing. Want a mattress that is not hot but like not to wake each other up with movement also. Any ideas for good dealers in our area or mattress suggestions?

Hi Suec,

Unfortunately the issues you are having are much too common because the major brands (including the Beautyrest Black line) use some low quality materials in their mattresses that are much more subject to premature foam softening and impressions although you are somewhat fortunate if you have had your mattress for 8 years because many others who have the same issues after only a few years. You are also fortunate that you qualified for a warranty replacement because many warranty claims are denied because the visible impressions aren’t deep enough (the mattress has lost it’s comfort and support because of foam softening or “virtual impressions” rather than because of visible impressions) or because there is a stain on the mattress.

Having said that … like many of the members that have come here with a similar situation you are in a somewhat difficult position where you need to exchange a mattress and may be “locked in” to a store or a specific manufacturer that sells mattresses that I would normally suggest avoiding in the first place and where there may not be any particularly good quality/value options available to you.

If this is the case there are some suggestions and ideas in post #2 here about the two main strategies that you can use that can help you make the best of a difficult situation.

Since you already have a good quality latex topper it may be worth considering a mattress that is firmer than you would normally choose and then using your topper to provide the additional softness and pressure relief that you need.

I would also keep in mind that as long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body types and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. Testing different types of mattresses that use different types of materials and components will be the most reliable way to know which type of mattresses you tend to prefer.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges (and/or that sleep with a partner that in a lower weight range and has different needs and preferences)

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful since you are probably limited to a specific retailer or manufacturer but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Toledo, OH area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

We went to the store where they are replacing our mattress for free. The replacement is another Simmons Beautyrest Black Evie. Luxury Firm Pillowtop. Another option is a credit towards another mattress. The selections include the sealy lines, simmon lines or sterns and foster. I was told it was a full 10 year warranty again. The mattress is comfortable. I can’t see turning down a free mattress with a full 10 yr warranty. Checked out all the specs, attaching what I think is a spec sheet.

Hi Suec,

You are receiving incorrect information here. You can see the Simmons warranty terms here and the warranty coverage for your replacement mattress starts from the date of your original purchase not from the date of your replacement so you won’t have any extension on the length of your warranty on your replacement mattress. In other words your replacement mattress will only be warrantied for the remainder of your original warranty.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: s3.amazonaws.com/simmons-media-prod/documents/Simmons_Warranty_Card_English-2.pdf

Unfortunately the specs you posted don’t contain any foam density information which is the most important information that you need to assess the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress (see this article for the information that you need to know about the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress). If you can’t find out the density of the foam materials I would always assume that they are low quality materials.

There is one store that does provide complete foam density information about most of their major brand mattresses (and they are the only one that I’m aware of that does) and they happen to sell the Beautyrest Black Evie as well. If you click on the “overview” link on this page you will see the quality/density of the materials in the Evie and if you compare them to the quality/durability guidelines here you will see that all of the top layers in this mattress (the top 4 3/4") are all lower quality and less durable materials than the guidelines (and some of the layers are very low quality) and would clearly be a weak link in this mattress in terms of durability which is why I would avoid it completely.

Phoenix