New Latex Bed\Layers for 117 pound side sleeper

Hello! Help me please!

Current bed configuration:

• at the bottom there is a thick base polyurethane mattress (sofa, with unknown density\ILD and without specifications, potentially firm)
  • top 3 inch layer - natural talalay latex topper - soft (19-22 ILD) (bought 2 years ago from SleepEZ).

My weight is 117 pounds (53 kg), I’m a side sleeper.

I have a hip pain (and rotating every few hours to change sleeping side, but mostly sleep on left, due to GERD when sleep on right side). This pain is appeared before buying of latex topper, but was increased over years (may be due to health problems and some weight loss or due to firm-up of natural talalay over time).

Also I want to change my old polyurethan base to natutal latex (not synthethic due to health problems, i.e. not blended latex and not memory foam, only pure natural latex).

But can’t understand is dunlop or talalay would be better, and which firmness \ ILD to choose.
Also I want to buy wooden slatted base for latex.

In the result I will buy completely new bed except already owned 3 inch latex I have.
For example I can buy 2 layers of 3 inch of natural talalay, plus leave the old on top or rotate it to middle layer and set something new to top layer.
My budget less than 1000 USD for latex mattress (layers), plus less than 1500 USD for bed frame (not this topic).

I can’t test latex live (not available in my region).
I understand that this will be partly guesswork, and therefore I can lay the risk in the form of a possible replacement of one layer in the future, however, I would like to know the opinion of experienced people in order to minimize this risk and not change the entire bed 2nd time.

For some time I have already studied the Internet on the topic of choosing a bed and mattress. Looked a little on your forum. I apologize if similar questions have already been asked, I could not find an answer for my conditions - weight, problems and the desire for natural latex.

p.s. I have searched forum more and find this recommendation from SleepEZ

3" Soft Talalay (19ILD) over 3" Medium Dunlop (30-32ILD) over 3" Firm Dunlop (38-40ILD).
…
The above configuration has been ideal for nearly 80% of our customers that are side or back sleepers and that weigh between 100lbs and 180lbs. I do not recommend multiple softs (more than 3") in your mattress
<<

… and need to ask if this configuration be good to me too? 80% is not good probability, may be some other parameters needed for better answer?

I can add that I have very low body mass index (53 kg weight, 184 cm height, BMI = 15) and dont want a very firm bed due to numbness in the coccyx or legs when sitting/lying on a hard surface.

Hello pro100

Thank you for your inquiries!

Based on the information that you have kindly provided, we would indeed recommend a soft Talalay over Medium Dunlop over Firm Dunlop configuration, should you decide on an all-latex mattress. The soft Talalay on top will provide you with the contour and pressure relief you will need being a side sleeper at 117lbs. Talalay is a softer and more plush latex compared to Dunlop and therefore provides better contour and pressure relief. This is why Talalay is ideal for your top layer. Dunlop is heavier, denser and therefore firmer and is ideal for support below. The medium over firm Dunlop layers provide gradual support below. The medium Dunlop serves as a transition layer, and the firm Dunlop layer below is your support layer.
When we reference that approximately 80% of our customers who are primarily side and/or back sleepers who weigh less than 185lbs end up with the S/M/F configuration, many of the remaining 20% will still end up with these same layers/densities, but may have simply rearranged them to create a slightly different overall feel. For example, we may get customers who are close to, or right at 185lbs who began with the S/M/F configuration, but decided to go a little firmer, so they may rearrange the order of densities to create a more supportive feel on the surface of the mattress (examples: S/F/M or M/S/F).

Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime! We are also available by phone 7 days a week - Mon thru Friday, 10am to 6pm MST and Sat-Sun 8:30am to 4:30pm MST. Have a terrific weekend!

SleepEZ
480-966-8731

Thanks!
Let’s say I buy M \ F (I already have S on top), but what if this configuration suddenly seems too firm to me? I can’t swap layers, in the current configuration, the rest of the options will be even firmer (soft ones are already on top).

I specifically emphasized that I already have hip pain, and the current polyurethane configuration already has a hard layer on the bottom (the old one, probably the pain from it), and soft talalay on top, and that I have a low body mass index. Based on this, don’t you think that a softer configuration should be chosen?

p.s. I mean “softer configuration”: M\M\S or M\S\S or F\M\S\S or F\M\M\S … What do you think of these combinations?

p.s. maybe choose talalay at the bottom instead of dunlop (for softer feel)? For example medium talalay over firm dunlop?

Well you could certainly order two medium Dunlop layers to try soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over medium Dunlop, or you could even try soft Talalay over medium Talalay over medium Dunlop, and this will give you MUCH more pressure relief than what you’re getting now, but which setup will work best for you just isn’t a question we can answer in advance. In fact, you won’t even know what setup is right for you until you get it in your home and sleep on it.

My advice is to order our 7" organic latex mattress with either medium Talalay and medium Dunlop, or 2 medium Dunlop layers, and this will give you the option to exchange layers within the first 90 days if needed. If you really want to maximize the pressure relief of the mattress, you would just put your 3" soft Talalay layer on top of the 7" mattress like a topper. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general. Aside from that, most toppers have our organic cotton topper cover, which is a thin, stretchy cover instead of the cotton & wool cover that’s on our mattress. As far as the cotton & wool cover goes, please keep in mind that anything you have between yourself and the latex affects the way you contour into the latex, making for a much firmer feel. So having a topper on top of the mattress makes for an even more plush and enveloping feel, not just because it’s not being restricted by the mattress cover, but also because you no longer have an inch of wool impeding how much you contour into the top layer of latex.

If you don’t want to sleep on a mattress with a topper, you could order the 7" mattress but mention in the comments section at checkout that you want us to ship it with a 10" cover, then all of your latex layers would go inside of one cotton & wool cover.