New Latex Dunlop matteresses - questions

Hello, With help of this site I purchased my king size latex mattress 10 years ago.
Now its time to renew (its a long story). We are in Vancouver, BC.

Conditions: Wife 98lbs, side/back sleeper, me 165lbs stomach sleeper. Queen size. She likes as soft as possible. I think soft is comfy, but not as soft as she likes.

She liked 6" soft base on 3" supersoft top.
I am in between 6" medium to 6" soft.

Our son is 250lbs and we also need full size for him. He is ok with medium and supersoft.

So my questions are:

1. Is it generally ok to buy 6soft +3 supersoft for us?
  2. Which stores should we consider?
  3. Can we do 6+2 or any other better options.

Hi pix530 and welcome back after 5 years!

Glad to hear your mattress has held up over the last decade! As you likely already know, any mattress you find ideal will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing most of those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As you can see comparing the the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress; but of course with tie and regular use, any mattress can show signs of ‘wearing’ a bit, especially if the sleepers using it experience changes in their body profile, sleep habits, or if there is increased activity in bed often.

Conditions: Wife 98lbs, side/back sleeper, me 165lbs stomach sleeper. Queen size. She likes as soft as possible. I think soft is comfy, but not as soft as she likes.

She liked 6" soft base on 3" supersoft top.
I am in between 6" medium to 6" soft.

One common misconception folks have is that softer = more comfortable…this is not always the case. You don’t give you or your wife’s’ heights, but you are both lower-BMI sleepers - are either of you experiencing any pains or aches during the night, or on waking? With an overly soft comfort layer, even lower BMI sleepers can ‘bottom out’ - sinking through the plush comfort layer and resting on the firmer layer(s) beneath, which can lead to body aches, pains and even alignment issues - but only your wife can tell what feels ideally comfortable for her, but keep in mind as a side/back sleeper she does need one support which may not be being provided with an extremely plush comfort layer. Since you don’t seem to be such a fan of the soft comfort layer, you might want to consider a split configuration comfort layer so you can both customize the feel.

Also keep in mind that Talalay latex rubber and Dunlop latex rubber have different ‘feels’, with Talalay being ‘bouncier’ (think of the comparison between angel food cake and pound cake), so depending on your preferences, something else to keep in mind.

Our son is 250lbs and we also need full size for him. He is ok with medium and supersoft

For a higher BMI sleeper you generally want to avoid ‘super soft’ comfort layers, as the ‘bottoming out’ I mentioned above will definitely be an issue; generally for that size of sleeper, a medium firm comfort layer on top of a firm support layer could be the solution in his case…higher BMI do better with thicker mattresses and the thicker the mattress the softness of the comfort/transition layers need to adjust to a slightly firmer level.

Is it generally ok to buy 6soft +3 supersoft for us?

1. Is it generally ok to buy 6soft +3 supersoft for us?
  2. Which stores should we consider?
  3. Can we do 6+2 or any other better options

Again, a 6" soft latex support with 3" extra soft comfort layer really lacks any kind of support, even for a lighter sleeper, especially as we age and our body profiles can experience some rather drastic changes and support needs; we would really suggest at the very least a more medium firm density in the support/transition layers. As far a ‘6+2’ you could instead try a firmer bottom support layer, medium firm in top of that, and a plush comfort layer…the benefit there would be the ability to ‘switch layers’ around, if desired to dial in the configuration of the latex layers to suit your needs.

As for suggested retailers/manufacturers, MFC is one of the oldest Trusted Members of the site, and offers a number of high quality, fully customizable latex mattresses in Delta B.C.; and the owner of @MFC, Mario, has a vast amount of knowledge and experience which he utilizes in finding consumers their ideal mattress, and will be able to offer his expertise in finding the right support and comfort levels for you and your wife, as well as your son - you are in ‘good hands’ with them! Please let us know your experience with your new mattress(es) once you’ve made your decision - I wish you many years of relaxing supportive sleep going forward!

~ Basilio

1 Like