New Mattress Firmness

My husband and I are young, and we’re buying our first new mattress because our old one was a hand-me-down from his parents. It’s starting to be really uncomfortable, and it’s hurting my hips, so we’re replacing it. We wanted a latex mattress, but our budget is still tight. We ended up purchasing this mattress on Amazon.

The only problem is that we don’t know what firmness to get. I have no clue what firmness our old mattress was because we didn’t buy it. We’re both side sleepers, so we probably want a softer mattress because of that. However, I’m a heavier woman, and I’ve read that heavier people need more firm support. Still, I worry more about getting something that’s too firm, because I don’t like firm mattresses much. It seems like we would want a 7 or 8, but I don’t really know which to get. Based on the Amazon reviews, it seems like the people who would’ve preferred a different level than what they chose usually would have gone softer rather than firmer. I’ve never done this before, so any help would be appreciated. Should I err on the side of firmer or softer?

Hi agreyowl,

The good news is that Chuck is very good at helping you make good choices based on “averages” of what most people would prefer based on body types and sleeping positions (and on any local testing or preferences you may have). While he won’t make the decisions for you … he can explain your options and choices so that you can make the best possible decision. You can reach them at 877-955-5503

You can also do a forum search on “Ultimate Dreams” (you can just click this) which will give you quite a bit of feedback about other people’s choices but don’t forget that you are unique and what other people choose may have little to do with what is best for you.

I would always err on the side of firmness because it’s much easier to adjust a mattress to make it softer (with a topper) than it is to correct a mattress that is too soft.

They also have a model called the Eurotop here which is a little more but allows you to exchange the top layer for a different one that is softer or firmer for a small charge if you need to.

The cost of doing this is an initial charge of $200 for a King and $150 for a queen or smaller (including shipping both ways) and then when they receive your old layer back they refund half of this back to you.

They are also a member of this site so I would also make sure you let them know you are a member of the forum so that they will send you the free shredded latex pillow that forum members are entitled to.

Phoenix