New mattress - help!

Hello everyone,
I am an international student studying the the US, and I am looking for a soft pillowtop mattress with some bounce (and within a budget!). I am unfamiliar with the mattress types here, but after some research I have narrowed it down to the following two choices (I hope it is ok if I post the links here) :

Ultimate Dreams Crazy Quilt PillowTop Mattress (Dreamfoam Bedding)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IOXWFVC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Dorel Home Products 13-Inch Pillowtop Pocket Coil Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1RPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I will be using the mattress with a Sleep Master metal platform bed (no box spring). I am dimly aware of the pros and cons of the mattresses - the Dreamfoam is all-foam, with a soft pillowtop and a foam core, and may be softer than the Dorel, which is a coil mattress with a soft foam pillowtop. I leaning towards the Dreamfoam, but am worried that it may not have any ā€˜bounceā€™. I would appreciate any help here - the array of options, even within my price range, is bewildering!

Thanks!
PP

Hi pritika.pr,

Itā€™s fine to post the links.

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet I would make sure youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You can read more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here. As you can see ā€¦ when you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most important part of deciding whether an online mattress would be suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that is good at helping their customers to ā€œmatchā€ their mattresses to their customerā€™s body type, sleeping positions, and personal preferences.

Outside of PPP ā€¦ the most important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase is the quality of the materials. This is where itā€™s important to make sure you deal with a manufacturer that is transparent about all the layers and components in their mattresses (see this article) so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses. The foam quality guidelines I would suggest using as a reference are in post #4 here. The ā€œweak linkā€ of a mattress will generally be in the upper layers of the mattress.

I believe that the Dreamfoam Crazy Quilt uses 1.5 lb polyfoam which is on the lower end of the density range I would normally be comfortable with but itā€™s also higher density than you would normally find in such a very low budget range and would be a better quality and more durable choice than you would likely find in this price range so it would be very good ā€œvalueā€. I would also confirm this with them though. Dreamfoam is also one of the members here which means that they are transparent about the materials they use and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

The Dorel Signature Sleep doesnā€™t list the specs of the mattress so I would make sure you can find them out (especially the density of all the foam in the comfort layers) before making your purchase because they are very likely to be in a lower quality/density range and would likely make a less durable choice. Without this information there isnā€™t any way to know the quality or durability of the mattress. I would also be aware that they are an import and arenā€™t CertiPur certified*.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Depending on how important durability is to you and how long you plan to use your mattress ā€¦ the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable mattress may also be worth considering. Itā€™s also polyfoam but uses higher density and more durable 2 lb polyfoam than the Crazy Quilt and can be customized after your purchase if you decide you want to change the firmness level after you sleep on it.

Phoenix