new mattress on old frame? Tuft and Needle 5 selected. Currently under review

After researching, I’m looking at the 5" Tuft & Needle through Amazon (no local places here in Louisiana, so stuck with online shops). My worn out innerspring is on box springs and an antique wood bed frame. I guess my question is could I use the T&N5 on the existing frame and box spring, or would that defeat the purpose of getting a new mattress? I see Amazon offers a metal foundation for around $90 (full-size) along with the T&N5 and I wouldn’t mind paying for that too (and it might still work within the wooden frame perimeter I have) if it would be the optimal solution. Any advice?

Hi uccjeb,

The Tuft & Needle FAQ (under accessories) has more information about the types of support systems that would work well with their mattresses.

If you have a box spring that has actual springs inside it that flex when you press down on them (vs a foundation with a solid or slatted surface that has no flex at all) then as long as it is still in relatively new condition and there are no soft spots (which you can check with firm pressure with your knee across the surface) and the surface is flat with no impressions (which you can check with a straight edge or string across the surface) you should be fine. A flexible box spring will change how the mattress feels compared to using a solid non flexing support surface under the mattress.

If you have a traditional foundation that has minimal to no flex and again if the surface is completely flat then you should be fine as well as long as any slats in the foundation are less than 3" apart (if they are wider than this you may feel them through the mattress).

If you do decide to buy a new foundation then I would make sure you check the dimensions carefully because many antique beds have unusual dimensions and a new foundation with standard dimensions may not fit. I don’t know which foundation you are considering but as long as any wooden slats aren’t more than 3" apart it should be fine. If the foundation has a wire grid surface then I would check with them because you may be able to feel the wires through the 5" mattress with some of these if any gaps in the wire grid surface are too large but with most of them it should also be fine.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix!

I have placed my order. I am going to try the 5" on top of my existing box spring base. If it doesn’t feel right, before I order another foundation, I may try a piece of plywood or MDF between the mattress and box spring base. Hopefully though, won’t even need that.

Can’t wait to get it in and try it out. Will report back with my review :slight_smile:

Hi uccjeb,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and you will be among the first to order their new design that they introduced about a week ago.

Phoenix

Still within my 60-day trial period, and I must say I’m on the fence.

I will say first of all, that I was impressed with the customer service I received as well as the quality of the product itself. It’s also very comfortable to lay on initially. But on to the performance…

The first night, it was awful. But that was mostly due to my worn out box spring base. So I went and picked a new one up at the local Sam’s Club the next day, just to rule that out (and I needed a new one anyway as I planned on keeping the antique bedframe, was just trying to save a few bucks for the time being) and had better results. I slept most of the night through. None of the back pain that I had from the old set I had. However, my back was still a bit tight when I woke up. Not hurting, just stiff. This was still an improvement and I was still getting pretty good sleep, so decided to keep it and at least give it a longer evaluation.

Here we are about 5 weeks in and I’m still just not sure. Most nights, I’m sleeping pretty well, but still waking up several times a night and still having some lower back tightness almost daily when I wake up. Thankfully it subsides almost immediately when I get up. I’m thinking maybe the alignment for my spine is just a hair off. Not bad enough to cause pain, but just bad enough to cause this tightness I’m experiencing.

I’m thinking I might need to try one of the dual-zone (which the site here recommends for athletic builds) options. Is that correct? And if so, any recommendations on a particular company/type I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

Hi uccjeb,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about the Tuft & Needle Five … I appreciate it :).

I don’t make any specific mattress suggestions … zoned or otherwise … because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in any mattress choice for anyone to be able to predict with any certainty which mattress will be the best “match” for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I can certainly help with “how” to choose and I’m always happy to answer any specific questions you may have or act as a “fact check” but only you can decide which specific mattress is best for you.

There is more information about zoned mattresses in this article and in post #11 here and the posts it links to.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you minimize the risks involved in each of them.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

With a “one size fits all” mattress where there is only one firmness option you will generally find that it will be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet … and for those where it’s not a “good enough” match then they usually have a good return policy that lets you start all over again choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

From the sounds of your feedback it sounds like your mattress is an “OK” match for you but only you can decide whether it’s “good enough” or whether to start over again with a mattress that may be more suitable for you in terms of PPP but the good news is that you chose a mattress where there was little risk in trying it :slight_smile:

The mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are reasonably close to you as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I had read through all of those initially, but I will certainly go back through them before making a final decision. It’s frustrating that this one is so close, but not a 100% match, and I am not looking forward to starting over lol. But if it means nights of not waking up continuously, I’m willing to give it another shot. I suppose, worst case, I could always go back to the T&N Five if I can’t find a better solution.

I’m in Monroe, LA 71201.

Hi uccjeb,

There isn’t a forum list for Monroe, LA so I took a look around the area and the better options or possibilities I could see (out of about 15 local stores I looked at) and the manufacturers they carry I would focus on on a “mattress by mattress” basis (subject to the guidelines here) are …

Furniture, Mattresses in Monroe, West Monroe and Ruston LA | Burney's Furniture Monroe, LA. Englander

http://www.mattressplusla.com/index.html Monroe, Shreveport, LA. Pure Latex Bliss, Sleep Designs.

Best Discount Furniture Stores Near Me | Find local Furniture Near Me Monroe, LA and many others in the area. Restonic.

http://www.burnsandnewellfurniturela.com/index.htm Monroe, LA. Scandinavian (ADDED Mar/2015: they are closing these out so selection may be limited and there is nothing else here I would consider)

There aren’t a lot of great options in the area so it would be worth considering online options as well (which you are) but these would be the “better” ones I can see.

Phoenix

thanks for the links, Phoenix :slight_smile: