New Mattress purchase, round 2:

So a little background first. (this may become long winded) I started lurking on these forums back in August when I decided my old mattress was just about done. I was looking for an affordable alternative to the tempurpedic mattresses but also wanted the “plush” feel as well. In the stores, this usually brought me to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe or Cloud Supreme. Some more reading and research and I decided on the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam mattress which i purchased through amazon. Unfortunately, my experience with this mattress was less than desirable. Shipping and setup was no issue but when it came to sleeping on it, this was another story. I gave it just about 4 weeks and woke up with frequent back pain that was sometimes worse than with my old mattress (luckily I held onto it). Another thing i noticed was that i couldn’t sleep within a foot of the edge of the mattress without it collapsing. Basically, for me it was nothing like the Cloud Luxe or Cloud Supreme that I had tried in the stores and I ended up returning it. I don’t know if this mattress was defective in any way but I did not want to try my luck again.

Since then I’ve been sleeping on my old mattress again but being highly active in crossfit, I absolutely need something that is going to support my back and give me a good night’s sleep. I’ll occasionally tweak my back (nothing serious, usually just a result of improper form on a lift) but now it’s getting to the point where i feel like my mattress is making things worse. Anyway, scared to “blindly” purchase a mattress online based on my past experience, i started shopping in the major stores again and was going to go back out today and purchase a Simmons Beautyrest World Class Plush Pillow Top mattress from Raymor and Flannigan. It felt really good to me and seemed reasonable for my budget- $1249 for a full. I then came back to this site and started reading the horrors of name brand mattresses and also reviews other places of problems specifically with the Beautyrest World Class.

Some more browsing and reading and I started looking at the Selectfoam-specifically the Cirrus-Supreme ES 11. What’s appealing to me is the apparent match in materials to Tempurpedic which gives me a better piece of mind in purchasing as well as the 90 day risk free guarantee. Also, price for me is right on target with what i was going to spend anyway. But obviously, I do have my hesitations based on the Dreamfoam experience. Any recommendations on what I can do to get a better piece of mind before purchasing? I plan on testing out the Cloud Supreme again today. Also, FWIW, I’m around 5’10" 180…

Hi runnerb0y,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice.

I’m glad you did a little bit of additional research before making your next purchase because no matter how a mattress feels in a showroom … if it doesn’t use good quality and durable materials then it can quickly lose the comfort and support that made it a good choice in terms of PPP in the first place.

You basically have the option between a local purchase that you can test in person or an online purchase that you can’t. With a local purchase then your own personal testing using the testing guidelines will give you the highest odds of success. If you go with an online purchase, then the return policy or any other options you have available after a purchase to make changes or exchange layers would probably be one of the most important parts of your personal value equation so you could use your own actual sleeping experience to “test” the mattress with little risk (outside of the time and effort it would take to return the mattress and possibly not having anything to sleep on until you make another purchase).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any local options I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I have gone over the tutorial post and it’s been all very helpful information. I’m in northern jersey- 07004. If you’ve got any local suggestions I’d love to hear them!

Hi runnerb0y,

Post #7 here has the better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you.

Phoenix