New Mattress

Hello,
New guy with some questions. First, I’d like to say thanks for this very informative site. Been reading until I’m dizzy. We are looking to replace our 12 year old Spring Air, that has seen better days. I was , initially thinking about T&N or Casper. Decided those wouldn’t work. We went around to several stores, trying out various set ups. I (we) liked the Tempurpedic Contour quite a lot, but $$$. Wanted to stay under $2000. Tried and liked a couple of Sealy Posturepedic - Majesty Ultra Plush and Trust Cushion Firm. Liked them a lot, but worried about quality materials and durability. So, took them off the table. At Verlo, a" recommended" member, I believe, found some we liked. By this time, we were exhausted from laying on beds :lol: and went about other duties. I later emailed Verlo asking " the five mattress specifications you need to know" , THANK YOU very much . I was asking about 4 different models- v7 Plush Wrapped Coil,v7 Hybrid v9 Plush Wrapped Coil and the v9 Hybrid,Here is their response :

All four of those beds start with the same base layers which is a 1" 1.8 density 35ild poly-foam on top and bottom of a 768 actual coil count (in a queen size) wrapped coil spring system.
The edge foam around the coil system is a 1.8 density 60ild foam. This edge foam is going to be where your firmness when sitting on the edge of the bed comes from. The 1.8 density on the firmer foams we use is a better quality then the 1.5 density (or lower) that is the industry standard.

On top of the wrapped coil base, the v7 Plush and v9 Plush then have a second set of coils that it 2.4" thick at an additional 1353 coils (in queen size).

On top of the second set of coils the v7 plush has a softer 1" layer of poly foam which is a 1.5 density 17ild, then a half inch of 4lb gel memory foam, and the quilted cover.

All of the Gel memory foam we use is the same 4lb quality in different thicknesses. It is a 50/50 mixture of gel and memory foams.

On top of the second set of coils in the v9 Plush, we have a 1" softer layer of 19ild Latex foam which is a PCM Dunlop Latex. (PCM is a cooling agent to help with temperature regulation) And on top of that we use a 1" 4lb gel memory foam, and then the quilted cover.

The Quilted cover used on the v9 Plush is thicker than that of the v7 Plush. I do not have the exact specifications on the differences of the two, but there is a notable difference in thickness and softness. Both covers are made with tencel cooling fabrics to sleep cooler, but the v9 fabric is also notably more cooler than that of the v7.

On top of the wrapped coil base for the Hybrid models we use a second set of coils that is 1" thick at 1470 coils in queen size.

After the second set of coils, there is a 1" 1.5 density 17ild on both.

Then on the v7 Hybrid model there is 3" of the 4 lb Gel Memory foam.

On the v9 Hybrid model there is a temperature regulating 1" 19ild Latex foam, and then the 3" of gel memory foam.

Both then have a non-quilted cover, so your body stays closer to the gel foam and you can get the benefit of the “melt” into it feel.
The cover fabric is like that of the Plush models, where both are made to sleep cooler, but the v9 is made to sleep the coolest.

The foundations for all four of the beds that you are looking at would be identical other than the cover fabric. All our foundations are all wood. On the v7 and v9 collections we add an additional layer to make it even more sturdy and even to support our higher quality, heavier mattresses.

I think those sound pretty good. Any thoughts on these from others? I am 6’2" 240 with chronic lower back issues and a bad right shoulder. I tend to start out on right side-ouch and end up on my stomach. Wife is 5’4’ not too heavy :whistle: and doesn’t seem to care much one way or the other. Thanks , again to Phoenix for all this valuable info.

Hi bsleepn,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Verlo is one of the “possibilities” that are included in some of the many forum lists in areas where they have a store but they aren’t a “recommended” member of this site (you can see the membership list here). Any mattress you consider there (or any of the other possibilities that are included in the many forum lists throughout the forum) would always be on a “mattress by mattress” basis and subject to the “value” guidelines here.

This is accurate information and would be a good quality edge support (see post #2 here about edge support).

These are microcoils and are also good quality and durable components. You can read more about them in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

These are also inside the quality/durability guidelines I would suggest for most people (see post #4 here).

These are also good quality materials.

In some cases the quilting layers can be a weak link in a mattress if they are using lower density polyfoam or memory foam in the quilting so I would want to know the type and thickness of the quilting layers so that I could confirm that there isn’t more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality materials or unknowns materials in the upper layers of a mattress.

This is also a microcoil and is a good quality component.

This would also be fine as long as there aren’t any other lower density materials in the top 3" - 6" of the mattress (depending on weight and body type) which would take the total thickness of lower density materials to 2" or more.

These are also good quality materials as well (although I would be cautious with thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam in higher weight ranges such as yours).

Since there is no additional quilting layers in these they would be fine as well.

It’s normally less “confusing” to “rearrange” and list all the layers in a mattress you are looking at in order from the “top down” or “bottom up” for each individual mattress so you can see all the layers in each mattress you are considering more easily.

If I have understood the specs correctly … the only question mark I would have with these mattresses (for most people where thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam would be a suitable material) would be the “unknown” quilting layers in the V7 and V9 plush.

For someone in the 240 lb weight range I would tend to be cautious with the thickness of the 4 lb memory foam both in terms of suitability and PPP and in terms of durability.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,
Sorry about the “recommended member” - information overload, I should have double checked first

“.These are also good quality materials as well (although I would be cautious with thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam in higher weight ranges such as yours).”
What would you suggest that would be better than the 3" 4lbs gel memory foam ?

I understand about the “rearrange” and “confusing”. I had asked for that , because I confuse easily :silly: I think he basically did do it from bottom to top, just lumped them together, which didn’t make easy to compare layers.

They have invited me to the factory to see the different materials, which I intend to do. I will get more information on the v7,v9 plush quilting layers.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Hi bsleepn,

In terms of suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) your own careful testing is the most reliable way to know which mattress is the best “match” for you but I would make sure you do some careful testing to make sure that the mattress isn’t too soft for you to provide good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

In terms of durability … you can see the guidelines I would suggest for foam quality/density here and there is also more information in post #3 here that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

Phoenix