New Member wish I knew about this site before my purchase.....Beautyrest Black Beyond.

Bought a Beautyrest Black Beyond Mattress at the Bay which was a plush Firm with comfort top. Felt great in the store.
As soon as I received I knew something was wrong. It is much softer and I sink in much more than the floor model.
Went back to the Bay and verified my feeling.

I do get one comfort warranty replacement. They don’t stock any latex models and at the time I was unaware of latex beds other than ones locally costing 3-6000$, way out of my price range.

Since reading online, one site was praising the combo of the Ansleigh Black plush firm with a 2 inch latex topper.
Figured this might be an option. The bay has a luxury firm model of the equivalent of the Ansleigh which is a tight top model.

It is 13.5 inches instead of 16.5
the foam layers:
QUILTING
Fire Resistant Fiber
1" GelTouch
1" GelTouch

TOP UPHOLSTERY MATERIAL
1/2" AirCoolMemory Foam
2" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam

COIL UNIT
Variform Smart Response and Adv PC
13.5 ga SR .086 with 17 ga Adv .054

COIL INSULATOR
8" Quantum (flange) on H/F Rails

COIL DENSITY
850 (based on Queen)

QUEEN COIL COUNTS
22 X 31

FOAM ENCASED
Ventilated AirCool™ BeautyEdge® Foam Encasement

COIL SUPPORT
1/2" Energy Foam Layer.

So this appears to be the model with least amount of Foam I can find and is a firmer model.
It still does not feel too hard though much firmer than what I am returning.
My thought process is to try it as is but to have a low threshold to order a 2 inch blended Talalay Topper from AMC.
They now ship to Canada and seem to be reasonably priced for the quality.

was wondering if I need to order the bamboo topper cover and how good it fits since it is made to go over a 2 or 3 inch topper.
Also wondering if there is a discount for members here, as the shipping costs are about 20% of the cost of the mattress and I may still get hit with duties and taxes.

Does anyone recommend a reputable place in Canada ( am in Montreal) for a topper woudl be interested in demoing one.

Hi Canabuc,

Unfortunately you are in a tough position because none of your options are particularly good ones if you need to exchange for another mattress in the same store. Post #2 here has some links to other posts and replies to members that were in a similar position and has some suggestions about how to make the best of a rather difficult situation.

You at least are on the right track which is to minimize the use of lower quality foam layers in the upper parts of the mattress … even if that means purchasing a much firmer mattress … and then adding your own comfort layer in the form of a topper.

Unfortunately the Ansleigh Black has over 4.5" of unknown or lower quality foam in the upper layers and this could also be an issue over time with foam softening.

I would personally go firmer and reduce the unknown and lower quality foam even more and then make up the difference with a better topper. At the very least I would want to know the density of the memory foam in the Ansleigh. If it was at least 4 lbs then I may reluctantly consider it if you were under 200 lbs.

While they are also not particularly good value … it may also be worth considering some of the Serta iSeries because some of them use some better quality foam and less “junk foam” in the comfort layers and in this case you may not need a topper.

There are also many smaller factory direct manufacturers in the Montreal area (see post #276 here) and many of these would likely sell toppers that have good quality and value. I know that Literie Laurie sells latex toppers (and supplies the Talalay latex topper that Costco sells). This thread may also be of interest.

[quote]My thought process is to try it as is but to have a low threshold to order a 2 inch blended Talalay Topper from AMC.
They now ship to Canada and seem to be reasonably priced for the quality.

was wondering if I need to order the bamboo topper cover and how good it fits since it is made to go over a 2 or 3 inch topper.
Also wondering if there is a discount for members here, as the shipping costs are about 20% of the cost of the mattress and I may still get hit with duties and taxes.[/quote]

It would probably be better to call and ask them about the cover for the topper because I’m not familiar with it and they would be more familiar with their own products than I am. You would definitely need a cover for a latex topper to protect it from ozone and ultraviolet light and other factors that could cause the latex to degrade more quickly than it should. There shouldn’t be any duties although there may be some brokerage fees and taxes. The discount for forum members is for mattresses only but it never hurts to ask :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I tried the icomfort. Hated the way I “melted into it”
I move a lot in my sleep so it is not a good option.
I know that mattress has 4.5 inches but the stiffest of the Black Line is only 1 nothc sitffer and less foamed at 4 inches of foam and perhaps one layer is a tad firmer.

I am not sure if you are familiar with Peter Cancelli form the mattressexpert.com site. I discovered it when researching my replacement bed options prior to finding this site. He is also a proponent of latex and quite against foam and pillow tops. He has espoused a latex topper on top of the slightly more plush version of the bed I ordered and is using that himself.
Iirc e seems to state that using the Latex topper from the beginning that it seems to increase longevity of this mattress and prevents much of the sagging issues. I am hoping he is correct.
My original Simmons worldclass mattress was bought in 93 and has lasted me nearly 20 years with only the last 2 being a bit uncomfortable.
I hope given the good coil system on the black that using a topper will give it some longevity and add back some softness lost moving to a tight top.

Hi Canabuc,

I didn’t mean the iComfort but the iSeries (with innersprings not a foam core). You may still not like them but at least some of them have less of the lower quality foams in the comfort layers.

I am not sure if you are familiar with Peter Cancelli form the mattressexpert.com site. I discovered it when researching my replacement bed options prior to finding this site. He is also a proponent of latex and quite against foam and pillow tops. He has espoused a latex topper on top of the slightly more plush version of the bed I ordered and is using that himself.

Yes I have read his posts for years and you can see some of my thoughts about them in post #11 here.

Phoenix